Boot Problems

dorker

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
How about this, hive mind:

My new computer, an HP XW4300 workstation requires me to manually select the boot drive at startup. It also seems to be taking an awfully long time in bringing up said menu.

I have since gone into the configuration menu or whatever it is, and changed the boot sequence with the HDD first, but the problem persists. I have heard this could be a conflict of master/slave, but the HDD (a SATA) is on an entirely different channel than the ROM drives, which are IDE

Perhaps this problem is related to my other one: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/268974-28-drives-detected

itadakimasu

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Does the computer boot? I have an xw4300 here in my office and I haven't had any problems like that.
no jumpers should matter if you have the hdd set as the first in the boot sequence, unless you don't have anything on the hard drive.

What does the menu look like that is asking you to select a boot drive?

dorker

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009

The computer does boot.

Well when it starts up I get a blue screen with the HP logo on it. It waits about a minute then text appears at the bottom of said screen asking me to press F9 or F10 (F9 being the boot menu)

I have actually gone into the setup and set the HDD as the first in the boot sequence, but it didn't work (and yes, I did save it)

Also, I don't know how to access BIOS on this machine- F1 or F2 don't seem to work.

Thanks for replying!