Hello, What are these files used with and for?
noise.chs, .cht, .dat, .deu, .eng, .esn, .enu, .fra, .ita, nld, .sve, .tha
Found in Windows/system32.
Take Care.
beamish.

Malke

beamish wrote:

> Hello, What are these files used with and for?
> noise.chs, .cht, .dat, .deu, .eng, .esn, .enu, .fra, .ita, nld, .sve,
> .tha Found in Windows/system32.
> Take Care.
> beamish.

They are Windows system files and seem to have to do with Chinese/Korean
language capability. They are supposed to be there. Were you just
curious or were you worried? Microsoft signs their files; you can
right-click on the file and look at its properties and on the Version
tab will be Microsoft's name. Or just hover your cursor over the file
and a description will appear.

You can also Google a file name about which you are curious, using the
file name as the search term.

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

They are junk files which you can safely delete.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"beamish" wrote:

| Hello, What are these files used with and for?
| noise.chs, .cht, .dat, .deu, .eng, .esn, .enu, .fra, .ita, nld, .sve, .tha
| Found in Windows/system32.
| Take Care.
| beamish.

Malke

Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote:

> They are junk files which you can safely delete.

Really? I find them on every single Windows machine I've ever worked on.
They are Microsoft files and I've always just left them alone. I don't
say you're wrong, but can you point me to some documentation for your
assertion that they're junk files?

Thanks,

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
"Don't Panic!"
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

Hello, First Thanks for both replies.
"curious".
Opened files and found English alphabet then a list of English words. Made
the assumption from the extensions that twelve languages are involved. Used
Google and other search engines. Microsoft had the following:
"During the index and query process, Index Server uses noise-word list files
for each language to filter the content provided by the wordbreaker and
stemmer. This noise-word list includes words and characters that Index Server
will not store in the catalog. This prevents Index Server from storing
useless information and wasting disk space. To modify the noise-word list:"
It then gave a heads-up on editing the files.
I stopped at this point not knowing what the meaning of wordbreaker,
stemmer and Index Server.
Once again Thanks for the time and information.
Take Care.
beamish.