Exactly how important are soundcards?

Merc

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2004
How much impact do soundcards make when it comes down to Framerate and lag? Does it really use THAT much memory that it'll slow down my framerate when i'm playing?

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I doubt it is to noticeable anymore. I doubt to many people keep close enough tabs on their fps to see the difference.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Cheap integrated cards use a lot more CPU time leaving less for the game engine.

However CPU's as CPUs get faster the performance hit for using a cheap sound card shrinks to almost nothing.

I can notice the quality difference between a CMedia and my SB Live 5.1 when gaming, but I don't notice the drop in FPS. It made a big difference on my 800mhz system, but back them integrated audio solutions were much worse than they are today.

Unfortunately you sometimes have compatibility issues with the off brands. These are usually fixable by trying older driver versions (assuming you started with the latest), disabling sound option in the game etc.

MadCat2099

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2004
So would it be true to say that by today's standards, the only difference between a 7.1 integrated card and a SB Audigy 2 is sound quality? Do integrated cards support EAX, too?

Mad Cat

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
There is a amazing difference to sound quality from onboard sound and a premium sound card like a audigy series, i would always recomend a audigy Sound card to any systems builder.

recently my old audigy 5.1 gamer died from a static shock off my fingers (my fault) i was reverted to using the onboard SC 5.1 and it sucked big time i could notice a major difference in sound quality and it hit my FPS by 5 on intense games.

If you buy a premium SC like the audigy ZS, make sure you have decent speaker setup other wise apart from a small increase in FPS you will not be able to get hear the best from the SC, but it will stop distortion at high volumes by a lot.

my system is not a slouch by any means:

XP2600 OC to 2362mhz water cooled
1gig ram duel channel
160gig hd 7200rpm
Audigy ZS
Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 Digital (Speakers 5.1)
6800 128mb unlocked to 16 pipe standard clocks.

Dont go for the standard 24bit soundblaster Soundcard as it offers no real performance over the inbuilt Soundcard, just by placing a cheap SC to a Audigy you see a massive difference in layout on the PCB and quality of construction.

Do a google search for SC benchmarks also search toms site they did a benchmark on Sound cards and the audigy was top dog.

<font color=purple> MY FINGER IS ON THE BUTTON! </font color=purple>

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
onboard does not support EAX as far as i know thats only supported by Sound blaster SCards only. (correct me if i am wrong)you will always get a performance hit in FPS with onboard compared to a audigy ZS no matter what Pro you have.

MadCat2099

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2004
Well, thank you for that information. I'll be sure to notify me friend when he goes to buy his system.

I too have an Audigy 2, but it's only the vanilla version, but something's been bothering me. I watch all my DVDs on my PC because my parents' entertainment rig in the living room is really ancient and only has Dolby Surround (the one that takes 2.0 channel stereo and up-mixes it to 4 speakers), however, I get the niggling feeling that my rig is not decoding the Dolby 5.1 surround properly. Is this possibly a problem with my the Audigy 2 or is it a function of the software the plays the DVD?

Mad Cat

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
that is probably the software you are using, there are a variety of DVD software which can be purshased which offer different lvls of dvd playback.

the standard POWERDVD software player is probably the standard software player, there is usually an option to buy audio add on packs which enables 5.1 sound to be decoded by the player, the soundcard alone cannot do this unless decoded by the software used.

if you really cannot be bothered to pay for it, Use shereaza (like kazza with out but without the spyware) and search for applications option and search for PowerDVD Deluxe or gold and Download for free a full unlocked version with all audio packs installed.

that should cure the problem.

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
if it does cure the problem make sure you buy the software afterwards i dont want anyone from tomshardware or any other numbnuts, having ago at me for promoting piracy. like i would Really PROMOTE PIRACY cough cough make sure you buy it afterwards cough cough cough.

MadCat2099

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2004
Ok, thanks for the advice. I guess that explains the chitty audio playback. And don't worry, I understand what you mean with the priracy problem - if it works, I'll buy it, because I don't like having hacked files on my system.

Mad Cat

timberwolf1

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2003
I don't think sound cards matter much anymore. My newest setups are always using integrated audio.

Gary Hendricks
<A HREF="http://www.digital-music-guide.com" target="_new">Digital-Music-Guide.com</A>

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
They dont matter then ur sound are gona be adiquate.
But to me they will sound like sh1t to put it blutantly.

you dont have a clue about SQ, i have not seen a MB integrated SC compared in the same league to a Premium SC yet.

its like comparing integrated graphics like extreme intel to a nvidia 6800 ultra.

yes which ones betta integrated or or premium on features lol.

MadCat2099

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2004
Ok, but a friend of mine wants to opt for onboard audio. I realize it will sound like shite, but he might not care about that. What he WILL care about, though, is EAX support, because he's buying the system for gaming. My brother is also getting a new machine and he doesn't have a lot of money, so we're trying to see if it's worth it or not.

Mad Cat
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by madcat2099 on 05/03/05 02:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
EAX alone from soundblaster is worth it trust me, read the reviews games sound so much better the sound effects are stunning.

when playing games here is a list of inportance to me:

Graphics top detail:75%
Sound top quality:25%

without sound games dont play good.

To have top detail in a 5.1 system is a must, but if you have only 2.1 speakers forget about the SQ your onboard is fine.

2.1 onboard is fine

4.1,5.1,6.1,7.1 to hear the best get the sopund blaster audigy it makes a massive difference to SQ, clarity.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
I 2nd that!

"If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a
wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"

marshahu

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2003
OK many onboard solutions nowadays are pretty decent solutions anyway - VIA's ENVY audio chipset supports 8 channel 24bit decoding - about as good as separate SC. Onboard soundcards are fine if you wish to watch DVD movies in surround sound with AC-3 dedocing - you just need the software and the patience to obtain the right addon packs and tweak the settings. I use Power DVD deluxe 6 with my Audigy 2 and I can enjoy my music in Dolby Pro Logic IIx (a new Dolby Surround Algorithm you can only get on many high end Denon, Yamaha and Marrantz Receivers) and my movies in Dolby Digital EX - superb results on my Audigy 2 and the same results on my mates Via Envy Audio chip.

However for gaming you may wish to consider a SC depending on how interested you are in positional audio. C-Media chips offer EAX support in them but if you want detailed positional audio with the likes of EAX 3 or 4 then a separate SC is the only way. You get some positional audio algorithms on many Realtek AC'97 onboard chips like HRTF positional audio or some rather naff alternative which results in excessive reverbation and unnatural sound effects. If you have your speakers at a high volume or you pay close attention to hissing and buzzing then onboard sound cards are full of buzzing, hissing and other noises.

The framerate doesn't make that much of a difference unless you scrutinise it or you are using a low sepc rig. If you have the cash and the PCI slots then a separate sound card is the way to go for a definate high quality audio experience in games and DVDs. If you just want to listen to DVDs in AC-3 and don't require your speakers to be so loud then an onboard sound card will suit you just fine - just be prepared to tweak around with your settings.

PC Spec: AMD Athlon XP 2000+, ECS K7S5A Motherboard, 768MB SDRAM PC133, Sparkle nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB AGP Graphics Card, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 6.1, Windows XP

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
1 2nd what u say too, but i think any onboard solution is not the way to go, i just hate onboard solutions which deal with onboard graphics and sound.

When you see a onboard solution like the envy, and then look at a audigy ZS SC you cannot possibly fit all those top quality components on a motherboard.

you can spend less on graphics and can get decent results but you should not spend less on sound buy the best you can and it can make crap speakers sound good.

Clob

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Even a $35 audigy (I) is far better than any onbaord. I dont uderstand how people buy $300 videocard and dont get the sound to go with the picture! Not to mention I dont think I could live without EAX!

"If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a
wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
man i understand where ur coming from, i have seen countless fools spend that much in the uk for a graphics card, and ZERO on sound.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Lies, we found an amazing improvement in sound quality on my friends home theater by going from an Audigy 2 ZS to onboard sound! The Soundstorm onboard audio RIPPED the Audigy, and had Dolby Digital Live which made connecting the thing instantaneous, compared to roughly 2 hours it took him to figure out the Audigy connections to the home theater receiver.

Junk hardware, some onboard stuff is simply more powerfull and easier to use.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
you dont have a clue about SQ
I was just kidding in the last post when I said you were lying, but now the truth is known, you're a troll! So let me point something out to you which you're certain to dispute: The 5-year old Aureal Vortex2 soundcards were better than anything Creative made then, OR SINCE. Creative spent MILLIONS on a bag of dirty tricks to force that company out of business, then spent HUDREDS OF THOUSANDS to seal the technology so nobody else could use it. Why spend all that money if not to protect their own products? I know you'll come up with some lame answer.

Definately a troll when you're comparing the Audigy ANYTHING to a 6800 Ultra, technologically speaking. Comparing cheap codecs to an Audigy is more like comparing Intel Extreme Graphics to a TNT2!

I think Creative might have something up their sleave with the next generation cards based on their new chip: that is, I think they've finally came up with something to address the added features Aureal had in late 1999! We'll wait and see...

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A $35 Audigy 1 better than the best SoundStorm settup? Hardly. We did comparisons between SoundStorm and an Audiy 2 ZS, the SoundStorm won.

RX8

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2004
2 hours to connect your friend must be stupid, there are only 7 connections on the back including firewire port, 1 Digital connection instanious Connection for dumb wits like your friend. and then ur line in and ur analog connections.

If you have friends that stupid what does it say about you, and you have this under your name Master Historian of THGC lol.