Sign in with
Your question

Exactly how important are soundcards?

Last response: in Components
March 7, 2005 2:13:16 AM

How much impact do soundcards make when it comes down to Framerate and lag? Does it really use THAT much memory that it'll slow down my framerate when i'm playing?

More about : important soundcards

March 7, 2005 2:52:09 AM

I doubt it is to noticeable anymore. I doubt to many people keep close enough tabs on their fps to see the difference.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
March 7, 2005 6:59:47 AM

Cheap integrated cards use a lot more CPU time leaving less for the game engine.

However CPU's as CPUs get faster the performance hit for using a cheap sound card shrinks to almost nothing.

I can notice the quality difference between a CMedia and my SB Live 5.1 when gaming, but I don't notice the drop in FPS. It made a big difference on my 800mhz system, but back them integrated audio solutions were much worse than they are today.

Unfortunately you sometimes have compatibility issues with the off brands. These are usually fixable by trying older driver versions (assuming you started with the latest), disabling sound option in the game etc.
Related resources
April 25, 2005 5:07:50 PM

So would it be true to say that by today's standards, the only difference between a 7.1 integrated card and a SB Audigy 2 is sound quality? Do integrated cards support EAX, too?

Mad Cat
April 26, 2005 6:33:47 AM

very small difference in regards to a hit in framerate, but the quality will be much worse than a good soundcard.
April 26, 2005 9:43:12 AM

There is a amazing difference to sound quality from onboard sound and a premium sound card like a audigy series, i would always recomend a audigy Sound card to any systems builder.

recently my old audigy 5.1 gamer died from a static shock off my fingers (my fault) i was reverted to using the onboard SC 5.1 and it sucked big time i could notice a major difference in sound quality and it hit my FPS by 5 on intense games.

If you buy a premium SC like the audigy ZS, make sure you have decent speaker setup other wise apart from a small increase in FPS you will not be able to get hear the best from the SC, but it will stop distortion at high volumes by a lot.

my system is not a slouch by any means:

XP2600 OC to 2362mhz water cooled
1gig ram duel channel
160gig hd 7200rpm
Audigy ZS
Cambridge Soundworks DTT3500 Digital (Speakers 5.1)
6800 128mb unlocked to 16 pipe standard clocks.

Dont go for the standard 24bit soundblaster Soundcard as it offers no real performance over the inbuilt Soundcard, just by placing a cheap SC to a Audigy you see a massive difference in layout on the PCB and quality of construction.

Do a google search for SC benchmarks also search toms site they did a benchmark on Sound cards and the audigy was top dog.

<font color=purple> MY FINGER IS ON THE BUTTON! </font color=purple>
April 26, 2005 9:47:57 AM

onboard does not support EAX as far as i know thats only supported by Sound blaster SCards only. (correct me if i am wrong)you will always get a performance hit in FPS with onboard compared to a audigy ZS no matter what Pro you have.

April 27, 2005 6:03:07 AM

Well, thank you for that information. I'll be sure to notify me friend when he goes to buy his system.

I too have an Audigy 2, but it's only the vanilla version, but something's been bothering me. I watch all my DVDs on my PC because my parents' entertainment rig in the living room is really ancient and only has Dolby Surround (the one that takes 2.0 channel stereo and up-mixes it to 4 speakers), however, I get the niggling feeling that my rig is not decoding the Dolby 5.1 surround properly. Is this possibly a problem with my the Audigy 2 or is it a function of the software the plays the DVD?

Mad Cat
April 27, 2005 2:21:42 PM

that is probably the software you are using, there are a variety of DVD software which can be purshased which offer different lvls of dvd playback.

the standard POWERDVD software player is probably the standard software player, there is usually an option to buy audio add on packs which enables 5.1 sound to be decoded by the player, the soundcard alone cannot do this unless decoded by the software used.

if you really cannot be bothered to pay for it, Use shereaza (like kazza with out but without the spyware) and search for applications option and search for PowerDVD Deluxe or gold and Download for free a full unlocked version with all audio packs installed.

that should cure the problem.

April 27, 2005 2:24:14 PM

if it does cure the problem make sure you buy the software afterwards i dont want anyone from tomshardware or any other numbnuts, having ago at me for promoting piracy. like i would Really PROMOTE PIRACY cough cough make sure you buy it afterwards cough cough cough.

April 27, 2005 7:50:36 PM

Ok, thanks for the advice. I guess that explains the chitty audio playback. And don't worry, I understand what you mean with the priracy problem - if it works, I'll buy it, because I don't like having hacked files on my system.

Mad Cat
May 2, 2005 10:03:23 AM

I don't think sound cards matter much anymore. My newest setups are always using integrated audio.

Gary Hendricks
<A HREF="http://www.digital-music-guide.com" target="_new">Digital-Music-Guide.com</A>
May 2, 2005 8:19:39 PM

Does your integrated setup support EAX and AC-3 decoding?

Mad Cat
May 2, 2005 11:01:03 PM

They dont matter then ur sound are gona be adiquate.
But to me they will sound like sh1t to put it blutantly.

you dont have a clue about SQ, i have not seen a MB integrated SC compared in the same league to a Premium SC yet.

its like comparing integrated graphics like extreme intel to a nvidia 6800 ultra.

yes which ones betta integrated or or premium on features lol.

May 3, 2005 6:52:25 PM

Ok, but a friend of mine wants to opt for onboard audio. I realize it will sound like shite, but he might not care about that. What he WILL care about, though, is EAX support, because he's buying the system for gaming. My brother is also getting a new machine and he doesn't have a lot of money, so we're trying to see if it's worth it or not.

Mad Cat
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by madcat2099 on 05/03/05 02:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>
May 4, 2005 10:32:33 AM

EAX alone from soundblaster is worth it trust me, read the reviews games sound so much better the sound effects are stunning.

when playing games here is a list of inportance to me:

Graphics top detail:75%
Sound top quality:25%

without sound games dont play good.

To have top detail in a 5.1 system is a must, but if you have only 2.1 speakers forget about the SQ your onboard is fine.

2.1 onboard is fine

4.1,5.1,6.1,7.1 to hear the best get the sopund blaster audigy it makes a massive difference to SQ, clarity.

May 11, 2005 2:55:36 AM

I 2nd that!

"If youre paddling upstream in a canoe and a
wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

"Battling Gimps and Dimbulbs HERE at THGC"
May 19, 2005 11:44:47 PM

OK many onboard solutions nowadays are pretty decent solutions anyway - VIA's ENVY audio chipset supports 8 channel 24bit decoding - about as good as separate SC. Onboard soundcards are fine if you wish to watch DVD movies in surround sound with AC-3 dedocing - you just need the software and the patience to obtain the right addon packs and tweak the settings. I use Power DVD deluxe 6 with my Audigy 2 and I can enjoy my music in Dolby Pro Logic IIx (a new Dolby Surround Algorithm you can only get on many high end Denon, Yamaha and Marrantz Receivers) and my movies in Dolby Digital EX - superb results on my Audigy 2 and the same results on my mates Via Envy Audio chip.

However for gaming you may wish to consider a SC depending on how interested you are in positional audio. C-Media chips offer EAX support in them but if you want detailed positional audio with the likes of EAX 3 or 4 then a separate SC is the only way. You get some positional audio algorithms on many Realtek AC'97 onboard chips like HRTF positional audio or some rather naff alternative which results in excessive reverbation and unnatural sound effects. If you have your speakers at a high volume or you pay close attention to hissing and buzzing then onboard sound cards are full of buzzing, hissing and other noises.

The framerate doesn't make that much of a difference unless you scrutinise it or you are using a low sepc rig. If you have the cash and the PCI slots then a separate sound card is the way to go for a definate high quality audio experience in games and DVDs. If you just want to listen to DVDs in AC-3 and don't require your speakers to be so loud then an onboard sound card will suit you just fine - just be prepared to tweak around with your settings.

PC Spec: AMD Athlon XP 2000+, ECS K7S5A Motherboard, 768MB SDRAM PC133, Sparkle nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB AGP Graphics Card, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 6.1, Windows XP
May 20, 2005 2:27:35 PM

1 2nd what u say too, but i think any onboard solution is not the way to go, i just hate onboard solutions which deal with onboard graphics and sound.

When you see a onboard solution like the envy, and then look at a audigy ZS SC you cannot possibly fit all those top quality components on a motherboard.

you can spend less on graphics and can get decent results but you should not spend less on sound buy the best you can and it can make crap speakers sound good.

May 20, 2005 5:32:38 PM

Even a $35 audigy (I) is far better than any onbaord. I dont uderstand how people buy $300 videocard and dont get the sound to go with the picture! Not to mention I dont think I could live without EAX!

wheel falls off, how many pancakes fit in a doghouse? None! Icecream doesn't have bones!!!"

May 20, 2005 9:39:33 PM

man i understand where ur coming from, i have seen countless fools spend that much in the uk for a graphics card, and ZERO on sound.

May 21, 2005 9:03:53 AM

Lies, we found an amazing improvement in sound quality on my friends home theater by going from an Audigy 2 ZS to onboard sound! The Soundstorm onboard audio RIPPED the Audigy, and had Dolby Digital Live which made connecting the thing instantaneous, compared to roughly 2 hours it took him to figure out the Audigy connections to the home theater receiver.

Junk hardware, some onboard stuff is simply more powerfull and easier to use.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
May 21, 2005 9:10:49 AM

Quote:
you dont have a clue about SQ

I was just kidding in the last post when I said you were lying, but now the truth is known, you're a troll! So let me point something out to you which you're certain to dispute: The 5-year old Aureal Vortex2 soundcards were better than anything Creative made then, OR SINCE. Creative spent MILLIONS on a bag of dirty tricks to force that company out of business, then spent HUDREDS OF THOUSANDS to seal the technology so nobody else could use it. Why spend all that money if not to protect their own products? I know you'll come up with some lame answer.

Definately a troll when you're comparing the Audigy ANYTHING to a 6800 Ultra, technologically speaking. Comparing cheap codecs to an Audigy is more like comparing Intel Extreme Graphics to a TNT2!

I think Creative might have something up their sleave with the next generation cards based on their new chip: that is, I think they've finally came up with something to address the added features Aureal had in late 1999! We'll wait and see...

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
May 21, 2005 9:14:30 AM

A $35 Audigy 1 better than the best SoundStorm settup? Hardly. We did comparisons between SoundStorm and an Audiy 2 ZS, the SoundStorm won.

May 21, 2005 10:26:30 AM

2 hours to connect your friend must be stupid, there are only 7 connections on the back including firewire port, 1 Digital connection instanious Connection for dumb wits like your friend. and then ur line in and ur analog connections.

If you have friends that stupid what does it say about you, and you have this under your name Master Historian of THGC lol.

May 21, 2005 10:29:43 AM

Do i need to reply with a lame ansa, no ur ansa was the lamest i have eva seen.

5year old tech to a audigy ZS. ?

Soundstorm Vs Audigy ZS ?

Go look at sum reviews you could still learn from ur mistakes, i still have faith in you. (the force is strong in this one)

lol.

May 21, 2005 10:31:31 AM

1Do i need to reply with a lame ansa, no ur ansa was the lamest i have eva seen.

5year old tech to a audigy ZS. ?

Soundstorm Vs Audigy ZS ?

Go look at sum reviews you could still learn from ur mistakes, i still have faith in you. (the force is strong in this one)

lol.

May 21, 2005 10:35:50 AM

You did a comparison, what Exact SC was it?
what was the system spec?
You do know Soundblaster make various SC to suit different budgets you sure you brought a fully fledged Audigy 2 ZS premium?

If you did buy that top card, i am sorry that was ur experience. but all i can do is laugh at what u are comparing it to. a soundstorm lol no offence its ok but sh1t IMO.

May 21, 2005 10:54:01 AM

Actually he was a genius compared to you. And the connection problems were caused by him trying to get Dolby 5.1 to work. When I say connect, I don't refer to just cables, but configuration as well. Because the Audigy doesn't SUPPORT Dolby Digital Live, so only pre-recorded 5.1 sources were being output in 5.1 surround.

SoundStorm can output anything in 5.1 over a single cable. Creative on the other hand has that special cable (something like 7 pins) for carrying separate channels, and that's something not normally provided on home theater receivers.

And now I suppose you'll say "Doesn't matter, he should have been using a Creative speaker system" or something stupid like that. Or that 5.1 doesn't matter for other sound sources, or some other excuse.

Were he alive, he could explain these issues to you in precise detail. Unfortunately he died, because he had a roomate like you who wouldn't listen and didn't care.

May 21, 2005 10:59:09 AM

The Audigy ZS IS nearly dead-to-rights 5-year old tech anyway. It's just a few minor improvements to the old Live.

I realize a lot of SoundStorm boards had crappy codecs. Some had OK codecs. And he was using a direct digital connection, bypassing most codec functions, in live 5.1 sound, DOH! You can't do that with any Creative products!

The TNT2 is high tech compared to an Audigy ZS. Comparing the Audigy2 ZS to the Live is like comparing the TNT2 to a Riva 128, sound technology has NOT advanced at even 1/5th the rate of graphics tech.

May 21, 2005 11:06:01 AM

I'm certain he bought the Audigy 2 ZS Platinum, he paid something like $215 for it back then (around 1.5 years ago methinks), that was a NEWEGG price (as in, about as cheap as he could find it) and I laughed at him of course!

The only advantages it had over my $20 Vortex2 was 7.1 sound and current drivers. Of course my Vortex2 provided better sound quality, especially 3D directional sound in games (yes, better directional sound from only 4 directions).

Half the stuff my Vortex2 did in hardware the Audigy2 has to do in software, that's laughable. Vortex2 being around 6 years old!

May 21, 2005 11:10:41 AM

BTW, the system spec, Asus P4S533-E, 1GB PC2700, P4 1.8A (Northwood), that first super-expensive Sony DVD+/-RW burner, that first expensive Yamaha "Tatoo" CD burner, a Radeon 8500DV, Antec 1080 case and 380W power supply, a Rockwell modem for faxes, cable internet through the network controller, and a Panasonic floppy drive.

May 21, 2005 11:14:17 AM

Damn, I almost forgot the other IDE devices: A WD1000JB for storage, a WD1200JB system drive, and a Zip250 in generic firewire enclosure.

May 21, 2005 7:21:52 PM

-------------------------------
The Audigy ZS IS nearly dead-to-rights 5-year old tech anyway. It's just a few minor improvements to the old Live.

I realize a lot of SoundStorm boards had crappy codecs. Some had OK codecs. And he was using a direct digital connection, bypassing most codec functions, in live 5.1 sound, DOH! You can't do that with any Creative products!

The TNT2 is high tech compared to an Audigy ZS. Comparing the Audigy2 ZS to the Live is like comparing the TNT2 to a Riva 128, sound technology has NOT advanced at even 1/5th the rate of graphics tech.
-----------------------------

5 year old tech i hear u say:

Audigy 5.1 2000

Audigy 2 6.1 was released 2002 oct

Audigy 2 ZS 7.1 support EAX 4.0 late 2003 early 2004 Higher definition higher clarity than any onboard solution available today period.

Find a spec higher than a audigy ZS on a onboard solution and you are my god crashman, i will listen to you on what ever u say.

May 21, 2005 9:30:44 PM

Yes, see? Barely modified 5-year old tech. Comparing the Audigy2 ZS to the LIVE is like comparing the TNT2 to at most difference a Riva 128ZX. Comparing the Audigy2 ZS to an Audigy is at most like comparing the TNT2 to the TNT.

And what of fidelity? The ability to hear hushed parts quietly and loud parts loudly, to tell the difference between the quiet and loud parts? I swear my old MediaVision ISA cards could do that better.

I'm not going to argue over 97.7:1 and 98.1:1 S:N ratios because I can't actually hear that difference. I will give you however the fact that most onboard solutions are easily over-amplified causing noise and clipping if you set them wrong.

May 21, 2005 11:51:45 PM

BTW MSI have started including onboard sound cards endorsed by Creative's Live! 24bit technology - its practically like integrating the Audigy technology into an onboard sound chip although I doubt that the EAX technology is included.

Onboard sounds offer features comparable to sound cards but because they are soldiered directly onto the motherboard and their circuitary is mixed with the rest of the motherboard, it is subject to intereference and this results in noise comming out of the speakers and distortion to the sound especially at high volumes. Also EAX Advanced HD has remained exclusive to Sound Cards as has many MIDI standards such as ASIO. Oh and MIDI sounds much cleaner on separate sound cards as well - the instruments on onboard solutions rely on a software synth so they sound realistic if a bit flat. Whereas the hardware synth on Sound Cards offers more voices and a cleaner result.

Sound cards have not really developed that far in terms of technology - the only things offered are new standards like EAX 3 or 4, better sound quality in terms of SNR and 24bit audio, more audio channels such as 7 and 8 channel support, and the support for Dolby Digital EX and DTS ES. I have never tried using Dolby Digital Live audio on my Audigy 2 but I find it shocking that a dedicated soundcard like an Audigy 2 has been beaten by an onboard solution because of its lack of decoding live DD audio! :-O If creative make these mistakes then they are going to lose out on sound cards especially as onboard solutions are catching up!

PC Spec: AMD Athlon XP 2000+, ECS K7S5A Motherboard, 768MB SDRAM PC133, Sparkle nVidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB AGP Graphics Card, Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 6.1, Windows XP
May 22, 2005 12:13:44 AM

thanx mate i do agree with you on what you say on the points you have mentioned now.

May 22, 2005 12:47:14 AM

I had a motherboard with SB Live Platinum (complete with live drive). EAX has never impressed me like A3D did. EAX Advanced HD sounds like another software solution to hardware limitations, something Creative is famous for.

I have boards here with all kinds of PCI sound chips, rather than simple codecs, but those boards are old. Anyone could integrate any sound chip they wanted so long as they got the manufacturer to go along with it. I think nVidia should start producing sound chips.

The latest hot card uses a C-Media chip! The same company famous for cheap codecs with lots of cheap features. And many top CARDS are using variations of the VIA Vinyl sound chip, which might be the first technology VIA didn't steal from another company!

June 5, 2005 1:40:14 AM

IMO My Audigy 5.1 sounds better than soundstorm. I have Klipsch ultras on each one not going through a reviever. Soundstorm is a sweet product when going though a reciver, and thats obvious, its just my difference in taste is all. I do not like Creative at all, It just so happens that a lot of my favorate games use EAX! Its a friggin paradox man!

BTW: I am sorry that I use the word "better" in my previous post. I didnt mean it!

I also had the liberty of listening to some tunes on an Aureal sound card a while ago, and I must say it was very very sweet!

June 5, 2005 2:19:28 AM

I got to the point after using my Aureal card for so long that I couldn't find anything else to satisfy, so when driver support for Aureal got to be problematic (end user supported), I just gave up and went to onboard sound. Nothing else gave me a great enough advantage over onboard to convince me.

June 5, 2005 12:00:50 PM

Different pc setups experience a varied responsive to sound cards, a lot of people say onboard is fine or excelent and even better than add on cards like you crashman.

I guess its personnal opinion on your own experiences which chooses your route.

But for me i know there is a difference how ever slight, i Repair PC`s all the time, they are of various setups with variuos SC`s and nothing i have heard beats the clarity and quality of the SB Audigy ZS plat i have, i have run all sorts of PC through my amp speaker setup DTT3500 Cambridge Soundworks, in my opnion one of the best 5.1 setups on SQ.

<font color=purple> BOW DOWN AND SUCK MY eD!cK </font color=purple>
June 23, 2005 3:36:39 PM

I consider myself an audiophile. I spend lots of time and energy researching the latest and greatest computer audio solutions.

Onboard isn't that bad. It's cheap, and gets the job done for many people. There's a large portion of the population that can't appreciate the advantages of positional audio. In this case, it works fine and saves them some money.

If, however, you have the money and the ears, an actual sound card is advantageous. They generally have less EMI, better S/N ratios, and more accurate reproduction than onboard. The big exception is Soundstorm. It was developed by nVidia to rival the SB Audigy series with a simple onboard solution. Simply, it worked. The Audigy cards were unable to compete on any level with Soundstorm. It's an old discontinued controller, so finding online resources to back my information is hard to do.

With the Audigy2, Creative finally made something "worthwhile". It is generally a little cleaner than the Soundstorm chipset, but at what cost?

For alternatives, there are many. I ultimately decided on the Guillemot Game Theatre XP 7.1. The cleanest sound I've ever found. It actually processes the sound in a breakout box, to help minimize EMI even further. Excellent build construction and driver support, even though the drivers are over two years old. It has software EAX processing, but that's the extent of its effects handling. It looks and sounds great, and a good choice for anyone, if you can find it. I also encourage the M-Audio Revolution 7.1, as it has phenomenally clean and accurate sound. Trademark M-Audio. I also like Terratec a fair bit too. Terratec, and Turtle Beach. They are all better choices than any Creative offering in existence.

Finally, about effects processing. If you have a good audio source and have them positioned properly, there is no need for EAX. Positional audio is possible with just my plain Sony studio monitors and either A3D or Miles Fast 2D audio. EAX only adds noise to the environment I listen in. It usually sounds better when turned off.

So, if you're into gaming, don't worry about EAX. Anything but the simplest of onboard cards can support it, as does any other expansion card. However, it's not the be-all and end-all that it's purported to be. Unless you have the sound system to take advantage of true positional audio, don't stress about it.

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html&lt;/A><--
June 23, 2005 11:48:18 PM

Thank you for the reply.

Do yo have reviews for these other make sound cards please, i hear a lot about turtle beach but we dont have these sound cards in the uk, we have terratec we sell those at the store i work at but i think there the cheap ones because the sound nothing like the audigy and thats compared to the first audigy.

if you have links to other top quality SC reviews please post them here so i like others can read them.

much appriciated thanx.

<font color=purple> BOW DOWN AND SUCK MY eD!cK </font color=purple>
June 24, 2005 5:27:09 PM

Game Theatre Reviews:
- <A HREF="http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=39..." target="_new">http://www.hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=39...;/A>
- <A HREF="http://www.dansdata.com/gtxp.htm" target="_new">http://www.dansdata.com/gtxp.htm&lt;/A>

Terratec Aureon 7.1 Space
- <A HREF="http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/terratec-aureon71/" target="_new">http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/terratec-aureon71/&...;/A>
- <A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/multimedia/display/ter..." target="_new">http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/multimedia/display/ter...;/A>

Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
- <A HREF="http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/santacruz/default.a..." target="_new">http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/santacruz/default.a...;/A>
- <A HREF="http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=santacru..." target="_new">http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=santacru...;/A>

M-Audio Revolution 7.1
- <A HREF="http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/m-audio-revolution7..." target="_new">http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/m-audio-revolution7...;/A>
- <A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/multimedia/display/rev..." target="_new">http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/multimedia/display/rev...;/A>

If you read through those reviews as well, they agree that true positional audio is best achieved with a good set of headphones, not 5.1 sound.

umheint0's phat setup --> <A HREF="http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html" target="_new">http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~umheint0/system.html&lt;/A><--
!