Help with "sea" for basing naval miniatures

I was basing some naval miniatures, and used Spackling compound, the
building material, to form the sea/waves. It came out quite
successfully in terms of appearance, but despite painting and three
coats of varnish, it is still vunerable to small knocks and little
chips coming off.

Any suggestions on how to seal the Spackle rock hard? Or should I use
a different compound?

LE

"Lord Elphinstone" <elphybey@ameritech.net> wrote in message
>I was basing some naval miniatures, and used Spackling compound, the
> building material, to form the sea/waves. It came out quite
> successfully in terms of appearance, but despite painting and three
> coats of varnish, it is still vunerable to small knocks and little
> chips coming off.
>
> Any suggestions on how to seal the Spackle rock hard? Or should I use
> a different compound?

Have you tried sealing it before painting? I find PVA (White Glue) works
pretty well - I've got a load of trenches I made up out of MDF & polyfiller
which I sealed with PVA first and survive endless rough treatment.

Maybe even mix some glue into the spackle before it goes on??

Martin

Either "Everlasting Elegance", found in craft shops (used for simulating
water in vases, the stuff you get in the train shops for doing waterfalls,
or the old elmers glue trick.

The elmers glue trick is to put elmers (white) glue down as a layer, wait
til it forms a skin, but the figure on the base and then push the figure
forward, creating the illusion of a bow wake.