PC Freezes when Ripping Audio CDs -please help-

jackplates

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2005
Just recently my PC has stopped being able to rip audio cds. I've always used easy-cd extractor but now it makes the whole PC lock up a few minutes into extraction. Itunes does the same thing when I try to rip a cd. I tried re-installing windows, changing the ide channel to "pio mode only" in device manager and disconnecting my slave Cd-rom on the secondary channel.(Both cd drives are on the secondary channel.) It's still locking up, what else can I do to troubleshoot?

My Specs
Athlon 2100+
Soltek MB
1GB PC2100
WinXp Sp1
WD 60GB
WD 80GB
Generic 48X CDRW
Creative 52X CDROM

athlonxp2200

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2005
If it's a generic CDRW drive then chances are that's why it's not working. If I were you I'd just replace it with a Brand like Creative or Memorex.

RichPLS

Champion
He Heh, Doc, my finger hurts when I do this. Well stop doing that!

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
If you were running winxp, you should have taken a look at your logfiles and looked for errors in the apps and system logs. Also, you could have restored to a date when the machine wasn't locking up.

Can you be possibly experiencing a temp problem? Voltage perhaps? Bad memory?

<b><i>Powered by <font color=blue>V</font color=blue><font color=purple>E</font color=purple><font color=red>R</font color=red><font color=purple>T</font color=purple><font color=blue>O</font color=blue></b>
Fueled by <b><font color=blue>CL-</font color=blue><font color=red>ONE</font color=red></b>

Running WinXP with a CDROM drive probably has something to do with it, any errors and XP causes the IDE channel to default to the PIO mode, meaning the CDRW also drops to PIO mode if its on the same IDE, and with the specs you've listed you should have the HDDs on the Primary IDE as Master and Slave, the CDRW and the CDROM on the Secondary IDE.

Until you can afford a good DVDRW all format burner, I would remove the CDROM drive from your machine and set the CDRW as Master of the Secondary IDE by itself.

The CDRW can read CDs so you really don't need the CDROM drive in the machine at all, loose it and your problems will probably just disappear.

Also you're running 1gb of RAM and if your RAM settings are too agressive it could be producing errors, you need to check that out and make sure your RAM is running error free.

You can test the RAM with Memtest86 and get it from <A HREF="http://www.bootdisk.com/utility.htm" target="_new">here</A>, almost at the bottom of the page under Memory, download the Memtest86 disk creator, activate it after the download and put the program on a floppy disk, boot from the floppy and Memtest86 will run, allow it to run for about 30min and see if it produces any errors at all, if you do get errors post what you get, if Memtest runs error free then memory is not your problem.

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=2541&st=0#entry20385" target="_new">My Puter</A>