Mixing Serial ATA

chugbug

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2003
I have a question concerning mixing drive configuration. I have a Data drive that has shown symptoms of failing and I want to replace it (data backup on an external drive). My system is configured with multiple HDD's for OS's and Data. The data drive is ATA and connected to a Promise PCI-ATA card, and I would like to replace it (the drive) with a Serial ATA drive, but need to know if a secondary drive can be put on the Serial ATA while the OS drive remains on an IDE.

Is the configuration (with Serial ATA) still a matter of how the drive is jumped? Will the Serial ATA line take over as the default PRIMARY and look for the OS there?

My MOBO is an ASUS A7N8X 2.0 and has two serial ATA connectors on the board that I am currently not using. Can I purchase a Serial ATA drive and connect it to one of these to use only for my data drive? My User manual shows how to set the jumpers to enable the feature, but doesn’t offer any info on how it’s configured or prioritized the boot sequence with the standard ATA devices.

Drive Conf:
Mobo: Primary IDE: OS & software attached to a TRIOS HDD switch with three drives each containing a OS (WinXP-Win2K-Linux). Secondary IDE: DVD Writer.
Promise PCI to IDE card: DATA drive and a CDRW drive.

OS & Hardware: OS-WinXP Home, Mobo-Asus A7N8X 2.0 Proc-AMD Athlon 2500+, Mem-1GB, Video-256MB 8X, TRIOS drive switch (data drive and CDRW) (along with other misc hardware probably not pertainment here).

Thanks in advance for the help!

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
It won't take over. Just hook it up and it should pop up in windows as another drive.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>