Request for tips before installing cable

zazoo

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2001
Hey all,
I was hoping some of you could offer advice for security before i install cable internet on my rh71 linux box. Right now, i've implemented libwrap (hosts.allow/deny) to function exactly how i need. I only allow fixed address i already know, and deny all else. Is there anything else i should do to secure my system from intrusion or attack?

Thanks a lot!

Zazoo.

Drache42

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
the best way to do it is either get a cable router or a second linux box. if you get the 2nd box then run linux gibraltar, its a debian off shot designed for firewalling. it runs totally of ram disk, 4 megs, and boots of cdrom. no HD needed, i ran it for a while, but then the computer died. i know someone who ran it all year at UofM and never had any problems.

genlee

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2002
Just setup iptables on your linux box and don't run any services that are not needed. Stay up to date with any security patches released from redhat also.

Drache42

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
there are wholes in just about all packages, if you stay updated then you will be secure about the things that have already happend. i agree that staying updated is good, but i am also saying that the more secure, the better. i run RH, but i just wanted to throw it out there, that its not the most secure.

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
To be fully secure, unplug your ethernet.

To be practically fully secure, just run linux and keep updated. If I was a hacker, and I came across your computer, would I stay on you and hack your linux box, or would I rather hack n00bie mcn00b's winME box for credit card info?

If my baby don't love me, I know, I know, her sister will.