more than 1 firewall and/or antivirus

are there any advantages/disadvantages to running more than 1 firewall and/or
antivirus on you XP at the same time. I know that a lot of serious computer
users will have several (often 4 or more) anti spyware programs on their
machine at once, but i've heard that you shouldn't run more than 1 antivirus
and/or firewall.

Also, as an aside, how good is Microsoft's firewall? I've heard their
antispyware program is a sieve.
6 answers Last reply
More about more firewall antivirus

    Yikes...

    One good program and and common sense will do just fine. Running multiple
    AV and Firewall programs sounds like a huge pain in the ***. Remember that
    each of these things takes up computer resources. Also if you need to
    configure an online service to pass through your router and firewalls there
    is much more work if you have multiple instances.

    Another important thing to keep in mind is running multiple AV programs
    could be counterproductive. These programs are powerful and could possibly
    conflict with each other.

    --
    http://www.americantechie.com

    In article <13EE3F7F-BC98-4FD3-B374-CB173E7B8090@microsoft.com>,
    "Chico" <Chico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >are there any advantages/disadvantages to running more than 1 firewall and/or
    >antivirus on you XP at the same time. I know that a lot of serious computer
    >users will have several (often 4 or more) anti spyware programs on their
    >machine at once, but i've heard that you shouldn't run more than 1 antivirus
    >and/or firewall.

    Microsoft specifically says not to use more than one firewall, because
    it can result in some programs not working correctly. There's even a
    Help and Support Center topic in XP SP2 called "Why you should only
    use one firewall".

    I suspect that the same can be said about using more than one
    antivirus program if each one has real-time monitoring.

    It's fine to use multiple antispyware programs, provided that only one
    of them has real-time monitoring. I commonly use Microsoft
    AntiSpyware, Ad-Aware SE, and Spybot Search & Destroy on the same
    computer. Only the MS one has real-time monitoring

    >Also, as an aside, how good is Microsoft's firewall? I've heard their
    >antispyware program is a sieve.

    The Windows Firewall in XP SP2 is a good incoming-only firewall, and
    it's the only software firewall that I use on my computers. It
    doesn't block undesired outgoing traffic, which can be caused by
    malicious programs that have invaded a computer.

    Microsoft's anitspwyare program is the best one that I've used, even
    in its current beta release. By design, it doesn't look for tracking
    cookies, which other antispyware programs do. That results in the
    mistaken belief that it misses a lot of spyware.
    --
    Best Wishes,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    thanks for the response. but just curious... aren't tracking cookies a bad
    thing? i man, wouldn't one WANT their antispyware program to find and remove
    them?

    In article <8996B56B-4FE2-4AB9-BC13-2834148785B3@microsoft.com>,
    "Chico" <Chico@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >> >are there any advantages/disadvantages to running more than 1 firewall and/or
    >> >antivirus on you XP at the same time. I know that a lot of serious computer
    >> >users will have several (often 4 or more) anti spyware programs on their
    >> >machine at once, but i've heard that you shouldn't run more than 1 antivirus
    >> >and/or firewall.
    >>
    >> Microsoft specifically says not to use more than one firewall, because
    >> it can result in some programs not working correctly. There's even a
    >> Help and Support Center topic in XP SP2 called "Why you should only
    >> use one firewall".
    >>
    >> I suspect that the same can be said about using more than one
    >> antivirus program if each one has real-time monitoring.
    >>
    >> It's fine to use multiple antispyware programs, provided that only one
    >> of them has real-time monitoring. I commonly use Microsoft
    >> AntiSpyware, Ad-Aware SE, and Spybot Search & Destroy on the same
    >> computer. Only the MS one has real-time monitoring
    >>
    >> >Also, as an aside, how good is Microsoft's firewall? I've heard their
    >> >antispyware program is a sieve.
    >>
    >> The Windows Firewall in XP SP2 is a good incoming-only firewall, and
    >> it's the only software firewall that I use on my computers. It
    >> doesn't block undesired outgoing traffic, which can be caused by
    >> malicious programs that have invaded a computer.
    >>
    >> Microsoft's anitspwyare program is the best one that I've used, even
    >> in its current beta release. By design, it doesn't look for tracking
    >> cookies, which other antispyware programs do. That results in the
    >> mistaken belief that it misses a lot of spyware.
    >>
    >thanks for the response. but just curious... aren't tracking cookies a bad
    >thing? i man, wouldn't one WANT their antispyware program to find and remove
    >them?

    Microsoft already provides ways to block and delete tracking cookies.

    To block them in Internet Explorer 6:

    1. Click Tools | Internet Options | Privacy | Advanced.
    2. Click "Override automatic cookie handling".
    3. Click "Block" under "Third-party Cookies".

    To remove all cookies (including tracking cookies) in Internet
    Explorer 5 and 6:

    1. Click Tools | Internet Options | General.
    2. Click "Delete Cookies".

    Tracking cookies are text files, not executables, and they can't do
    anything to your computer. They allow Internet advertisers to keep
    track of sites you've visited that use the advertiser's services.
    Here's what Lavasoft (Ad-Aware) says about them:

    http://www.lavasoftnews.com/ms/display_main.php?tac=Tracking%20Cookie

    There's disagreement about whether tracking cookies are a threat. I
    don't remove them from my computers, but some people consider them
    intolerable invasions of privacy and always remove them.
    --

    Chico wrote:
    > are there any advantages/disadvantages to running more than 1 firewall and/or
    > antivirus on you XP at the same time.

    No. In fact, using multiple antivirus and firewall applications
    simultaneously can cause problems due to software conflicts. It's not
    usually a problem to have multiple antivirus and firewall applications
    installed, but only one of each should be active at any given time.

    I know that a lot of serious computer
    > users will have several (often 4 or more) anti spyware programs on their
    > machine at once, but i've heard that you shouldn't run more than 1 antivirus
    > and/or firewall.

    This is because most anti-spyware applications are purely
    "scan-on-demand" utilities, so they're not usually operating
    simultaneously. Also, it seems that no one has been able to produce a
    single such product that catches everything, as they all use different
    testing criteria and different malware definition files. In fact, I'm
    not aware of any two anti-spyware manufacturers who even define adware
    and spyware identically.

    > Also, as an aside, how good is Microsoft's firewall?

    WinXP's built-in firewall is adequate at stopping incoming attacks,
    and hiding your ports from probes. What WinXP SP2's firewall does not
    do, is protect you from any Trojans or spyware that you (or someone
    else using your computer) might download and install inadvertently.
    It doesn't monitor out-going traffic at all, other than to check for
    IP-spoofing, much less block (or at even ask you about) the bad or the
    questionable out-going signals. It assumes that any application you
    have on your hard drive is there because you want it there, and
    therefore has your "permission" to access the Internet. Further,
    because the Windows Firewall is a "stateful" firewall, it will also
    assume that any incoming traffic that's a direct response to a
    Trojan's or spyware's out-going signal is also authorized.

    ZoneAlarm, Kerio, or Sygate are all much better than WinXP's
    built-in firewall, and are much more easily configured, and there are
    free versions of each readily available. Even the commercially
    available Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall is superior by far,
    although it does take a heavier toll of system performance then do
    ZoneAlarm or Sygate.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Chico wrote:
    > thanks for the response. but just curious... aren't tracking cookies a bad
    > thing? i man, wouldn't one WANT their antispyware program to find and remove
    > them?

    It's not so much that tracking cookies aren't a "bad thing" as it is
    that this issue is already easily addressed from within the security
    settings of most browsers, so there's no real need to add the capability
    to monitor them to an anti-spyware application.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

Firewalls Microsoft Antivirus Windows XP