System not recognizing RAM

MizzWikid

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2005
Computer is Compaq Presario 5003US. 933MHz PIII. Running Windows ME. Presently have 2 memory chips inserted. Both are PC133 DIMM 128MB (one is original Compaq chip, other was purchased later...looks like generic). This should give me 256 MB of RAM. When I go to Control Panel and System - it says I only have 127MB memory. Not even the original 128 is being recognized. Where did it get 127MB?? What's going on?

Also, I've been looking around to upgrade RAM. Went to Enet to look, and used their memory lookup. They say PC100 is what I need. Can I use PC100 RAM in second slot while still using PC133 in first slot?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
PC-133 CL3 should work in your system as PC-100.

Some systems require (16x8) or (8x8) memory configurations. In other words, (32x8) configuration may not work with some older PC-100 motherboards.

Sometimes the memory might be programed to CL2. This could create compatbility issues as PC-133/100 memory programed to CL2 is not compatible with many motherboards.

CrucialLabs

Distinguished
May 20, 2004
Take all the memory out of the system and try the new module by itself. I know the Compaqs are tough to get memory into. It is a seating issue basically.

The reason your system shows the memory up as 127MBs in Windows is Windows does a poor job of it. I have seen a 1-5MB difference reported by Windows so if you are off by one meg do not worry about it, just a Windows glitch.

Hope this helps.

Crucial Performance Lab

www.crucial.com
The Memory Experts(SM) at Crucial Technology is now on board to give you straight answers to your memory-related questions.
cpl@micron.com

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The missing 1MB of RAM from the first chip is lost to onboard video. The i810E chipset uses 1MB or 2MB for basic video (completely reserved for video) and up to 8MB additionally for 3D applications (shared RAM).

The second module is likely not working at all. You NEED PC133, not PC100, to get the PIII 933 (133MHz bus) to operate at full performance levels. But some PC133 is simply crap, and Compaq can be fussy about module configurations.

I'd get some PC133 for that specific Compaq model from crucial.com, to make certain you get a modules that matches the specific requirements of your system.

The chipset supports a maximum of 512MB RAM and the board probably has only 2 slots. If you buy a 256MB module, the combination of that and the original module would put you up to 384MB.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>