winxpdisablezeroconfig.exe

I have recently installed a Belkin Wireless PC network card in my Toshiba
Equium laptop. This has caused winxpdisablezeroconfig.exe to run as a
background service whenever the machine is turned on. This in turn is causing
the CPU to run flat out (doing I know not what) and this causes the machine
fan to cut in very LOUDLY 24/7. I can turn off the service, which solves the
problem and I can also stop it starting through msconfig but both Belkin and
Toshiba blame Microsoft and offer no other ideas.

3 questions:
Does anyone know what this service actually does?
Does anyone else have this problem and how have you dealt with it?
Does anyone know how to restart a service in XP without restarting the
machine which is the current limit of my "expertise!"
2 answers Last reply
More about winxpdisablezeroconfig

    A number of Vendor's have a similar Support/Configuration service or
    application. Prior to Service Pack 2, configuring a Wireless connection
    was a little "Clunky".
    You can access the Wireless Connection and there is a configuration
    option that says "Use Windows to Configure this connection". Using this,
    makes using the 3rd-Party application unnecessary. It sounds like
    your NIC software is turning off XP's Wireless Zero Configuration
    service, which is the preferred way to setup a Wireless connection.
    Sometimes, it is possible to install the USB NIC driver without the
    support/configuration module. Check the Belkin documentation on use
    with Windows XP. (or check Belkin's website for instructions).

    "Simon Webster" <Simon Webster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have recently installed a Belkin Wireless PC network card in my Toshiba
    > Equium laptop. This has caused winxpdisablezeroconfig.exe to run as a
    > background service whenever the machine is turned on. This in turn is
    > causing
    > the CPU to run flat out (doing I know not what) and this causes the
    > machine
    > fan to cut in very LOUDLY 24/7. I can turn off the service, which solves
    > the
    > problem and I can also stop it starting through msconfig but both Belkin
    > and
    > Toshiba blame Microsoft and offer no other ideas.
    >
    > 3 questions:
    > Does anyone know what this service actually does?
    > Does anyone else have this problem and how have you dealt with it?
    > Does anyone know how to restart a service in XP without restarting the
    > machine which is the current limit of my "expertise!"

    There is actually a bug in Belkins software that causes this. I used Windows
    Zero Config and disabled Belkins from starting.

    "Simon Webster" <Simon Webster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have recently installed a Belkin Wireless PC network card in my Toshiba
    > Equium laptop. This has caused winxpdisablezeroconfig.exe to run as a
    > background service whenever the machine is turned on. This in turn is
    > causing
    > the CPU to run flat out (doing I know not what) and this causes the
    > machine
    > fan to cut in very LOUDLY 24/7. I can turn off the service, which solves
    > the
    > problem and I can also stop it starting through msconfig but both Belkin
    > and
    > Toshiba blame Microsoft and offer no other ideas.
    >
    > 3 questions:
    > Does anyone know what this service actually does?
    > Does anyone else have this problem and how have you dealt with it?
    > Does anyone know how to restart a service in XP without restarting the
    > machine which is the current limit of my "expertise!"

Microsoft Windows XP