Ram Timing Question

claudehl

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hello,

I have a system with some average Kingston DDR400 PC3200 ram. It's basic 3-3-3-8 timing. I was wondering if using something with better latency would greatly improve system speed. Is this something I would notice? Here is my system.

P4 2.8 (Socket 478)
Intel 875PBZ Mob
512MB DDR400 Kingson RAM

Thanks,
Claude

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
CAS2 RAM would probably give you a 5-7% increase (max) in performance for programs that swap to RAM very quickly, like games.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
as I understand it, it's a tradoff... memory intesive proggies like tighter timings... but if you can offset that by increasing your overall cpu speed with looser timings it all equals out.

Ram is dependant upon budget... Hearing things like UTT will do 2,2,2,5 at 270 is great, but it's getting hard to get now.

My TCCD PDP xbl will do 300 2.3,4,3,5 so I'd say it's dependant upon what your processor can do, and what you would safely overclock it to.

at stock, any good PC3200 ram will do 2,2,2,5.. so find the cheapest if your going stock... If your going to push the fsb past 270, go TCCD, if your under that, try and get the new UTT sticks.

It's a matter of preference... personally I like my 2x256 PDP XBL that cost my 118.. currently doing 295x9 stable as a boulder. Like to think I'd match well against 2,2,2,5 at 270.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."

jammydodger

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2001
I think you completly missed the point here. He is asked if lower timmings will give a noticable performance difference. NOT for a complete run down of what timmings and speed your memory is capable of achieving.

G

And does all that voltage risk damaging anything (aside from the DIMMS)? :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Intel boards are known for following JEDEC standards. They do not allow too much tweaking.

All reputable memory testing labs are testing memory using Intel as the standard motherboard.

If you really need to know how high an Intel board can go, give me the model number, I will find out Monday next week =)

G

Cool, thanks wusy :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>