THG, the worst bunch of fan boys on the net.

_noob_

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2002
I wonder why THG is so persistent about Intel and nVidia fan boy actions. THG had a nice article about how Intel was icing out AMD through the mobo manufactures, and my, wasn't THG proud when executives from AMD padded them on the back for illuminating this rather bizarre business practice. That didn't last long though. Currently THG made a shameful report when the XP 2600+ came out. The entire article was more along the lines of " *sigh* why don't AMD just stop trying to compete with Intel. We are tired of you." Though it was the fastest processor on the desktop market when it came out, the front page layout indicated that it was of similar importance to how to assemble a good toolbox.

Now the Radeon 9700pro is about to hit the streets, and THG does their little trick again. In the first article they praise the 9700 for its magnificent performance and how visual quality has improved immensely, only to say wait for nVidia and the NV30 chip.
Here is a direct quote :

<i>However, in three months NVIDIA is certain to get its revenge. We will see how the upcoming 'NV30' will fare against Radeon 9700. Until then, ATI has all the reason in the world to enjoy its new leadership role.</i>

And again in the second review, features like AGPx8 support aren't even mentioned as a benefit for the 9700, nor does the test platform utilize it. Half of the review seems to turn into a "in Intel we trust" article with useless CPU render tests. And further more belittling the DirectX 9/OpenGL 1.3 support, by stating that most games run DirectX 7 anyway.

But it doesn't stop here. Under the mobility guide, THG makes a review of the Mobility Radeon 9000 versus the nVidia Geforce4 Go 460/440 chip. As it turns out the Geforce4 gets some serious whoop-ass, but as if THG is being bought by nVidia (oh, btw. the test platform is Intel), they end the review with this comment:

<i>However, what does the owner of a future notebook with ATI's new Mobility Radeon 9000 really get? As long as the majority of games are running just fine on DirectX 7 hardware, the advantage of Mobility Radeon 9000 is minimal.</i>

And this:

<i>NVIDIA will try its best to catch up soon. It won't take long for NV18M's release, something like GeForce4 Go460 with AGP 8x support. Only a short while later, and probably before the end of this year, there will be NV28M, a mobile derivative of GeForce4 Ti 4200, which will probably beat Mobility Radeon 9000 in 3D performance, but lag behind it in terms of power consumption. What NVIDIA is really waiting for is the NV3x family of chips. In the Spring of next year we will see a notebook chip in 0.13 micron process with DirectX 9 support.</i>

WTF is happening is you heads, THG?
One moment DirectX 7 is all there is to the 3D world (and we wont mention that its release is 2 years old), and the next moment, it's a feakin' wonder that nVidia will make DirectX 9 Go chips next year?

Have you totally lost your mind? Everybody that don't come from a hardware background is having a seriously hard time cutting through all of your back stabbing reviews. There are people out there that swear in THG as the defacto place to find computer info, and then you continuously pulls stunts like this!

And at the same time, you slander Anandtech for faking, and deliberately use benchmarking programs that you know are optimized especially for your little darling Intel.

Have you no honor of providing the truth in an objective way, or have you just fallen for greed? If it's money they are paying you, I would like to see all those ugly banners removed.

<b>Shame on you, THG!</b>

Note to all the Intel/nVidia/THG fan boys:
Yes, I own 3 AMD machines, but use Intel at work.
Yes, I own an ATI Radeon 8500 card.
Yes, I own nVidia cards too.
They are not as good or stable as ATI.

And no, I'm not a millionaire that can afford being dragged into Intel’s overpriced marketing machine.
I <u>would</u> buy Intel if it was worth the money, but power surges make more damage to my data/hardware than Intel's "I'm so stable" hype can cover for.
So the answer is no, I don't buy Intel. I buy APC surge protectors.

Oh, btw. when was the last time SiS motherboards was used as base in a review? You are all very happy about them having the fastest memory bus on the market, aren't you?.

I double dare you posting this on Your front page.

Not so n00b actually.

alcdotcom

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
Wow. I have a suggestion for you _noob_. Calm down. I don't know if you're really as upset as your post suggests, but if you are, it's time to cut back on the caffeine. If someone else has a different opinion than you, it's not the end of the world. (Even if they have a much larger and more respected forum from which to voice it than you do) If someone publishes a report on something that you really disagree with, great. If you're really that concerned, create your own website and publish your own reviews and articles the way you think it should be done. Be sure to let me know when you get it up and running. :) Until then, I'll leave you with a quote from one of THG's writers:

"Intel or AMD - who cares?! Nvidia or ATI - who cares?! Windows or Linux - who cares?! It's about the experience. The technology. It's the journey, not the destination. There is no end point. No perfect buy. No perfect company. No perfect chip. Stop looking for your identity in a piece of hardware!"

Sorry, I want to emphasize one part of that quote in case you didn't get it the first time:
<b>Stop looking for your identity in a piece of hardware!</b>

<font color=blue> <i> There are two major products that came out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. </i> </font color=blue> --J.S. Anderson

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
<b>Stop digging up 6 months old posts!</b>

Sorry, I want to emphasize one part of that quote in case you didn't get it the first time:
<b>Stop digging up 6 months old posts!</b>

:tongue: :lol: :smile:

<b><font color=blue>Press 1 if you want to be on hold, 2 for disconnect, 3 for a representative who will put you on hold before disconnecting.</font color=blue></b>

alcdotcom

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2002
Gee that was really clever. Did you think of that all by yourself. Wait, no that was me. I didn't know there was a statute of limitations on these boards. I rarely spend any time reading (much less replying) to posts on these boards because I've normally got better things to do. So next time, I'll consult someone with no life who spends their time poicing them: You for instance. I'm sure you're full of "nifty" little tips so that I can become a THG board geek.

<font color=blue> <i> There are two major products that came out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. </i> </font color=blue> --J.S. Anderson

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
those little smiling faces should show you that I did not reply to you as an insult. but if you prefer to be a tight a$$ then be it.

have fun

<b><font color=blue>Press 1 if you want to be on hold, 2 for disconnect, 3 for a representative who will put you on hold before disconnecting.</font color=blue></b>

icy_oblivion

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Most people in the THG community will agree that the reviews are a bit biased at times. However if you come read what people in the community say you will find that there is a lot of factual, unbiased information being given daily. I only use the THG community because there is a wealth of knowledge here.

<b>Just because I like AMD or Intel more at a time because of one product compared to another, does not make me a fan boy, it makes me a person who is able to make a descision for myself.</b>