Sever 2008 clustering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
I just want to know if any one has any experience clustering with Windows server 2008?
It seems alittle tough compared to linux clustering. :sweat:

Solution
stick with linux. my ESX servers at work have been up for the last 6 months, not a min of downtime.

also, MS clustering requires Active Directory. cluster configuration is not only held on the nodes, but needs AD to function and info is also stored there. it is mostly meant for business structures. the main thing to look for is an application that is "cluster aware" like sql, exchange, etc.

if you have the resources, take a look at polyserver. it is horrible software, hated supporting it but allowed multiple servers to connect into the same storage(has to be fiber channel though).

you could have your 3 machines doing the same thing and place them behind an application level load balancer.

Home user here, so I don't play with this stuff myself. But I pulled some relevant links for you. If you look to the left of the following pages, you'll see the directory.

Overview and requirements:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc719013(WS.10).aspx

Prepping to install Failover:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189910.aspx

How to Install:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc770506.aspx

Failover Clustering: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc725923(WS.10).aspx

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Actually, I already have this information. I am more interested in Someone who has, would like to, or is using a cluster. Preferably one that is not only running a Failover, but also Load balancing. Or just load balancing. Microsoft has a unique way of doing this comparatively to Linux. Executing a failkover is not really a big deal at the moment, it is when I begin trying to run both failover and load balancing that I come up short.

When running under Ubutu WITH Kerrighed Clustering these processes run flawlessly. Then I switch over to windows Server 2008 (Which is suppossed to be "optimized" for load balancing and failover simultaneously, it fail to failover and balance...........

Why me?

@Scotteq: Word to the Siggy!!

spinning rust

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
actually, MS doesn't support active/active clustering. there are ways to do it, it really depends on the application you are running. e.g. if you have 2 nodes and are running SQL, you need 2 instances of SQL running(means more dirves and database planning). in cluster manager you have 1 instance running on node 1, and you fail instance 2 onto node 2 and configure the peference to node 2. MS has their reasons, i.e. N+1 failover, several server having acess to the same storage at the same time may lead to data corruption (linux doesn't have this problem, i think it has to do with MS's op lock on files) another BIG consideration is what is your shared storage? DAS? NAS? Multipathing? if you multipath, you need install the cluster in advanced mode(this is so in 2003 clustering, having done multipathing in 2008 cluster yet) this just looks at the shared LUNs' drive letter instead of ID, PID, etc for failover.

any other questions?

ps. migrating to a new SAN is painful unless you have some built in migration capacity built into the SAN. that then gets into setting the LUN id. server 2008 clustering has tools built into fixing these issues you just need to know them.

spinning rust

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
stick with linux. my ESX servers at work have been up for the last 6 months, not a min of downtime.

also, MS clustering requires Active Directory. cluster configuration is not only held on the nodes, but needs AD to function and info is also stored there. it is mostly meant for business structures. the main thing to look for is an application that is "cluster aware" like sql, exchange, etc.

if you have the resources, take a look at polyserver. it is horrible software, hated supporting it but allowed multiple servers to connect into the same storage(has to be fiber channel though).

you could have your 3 machines doing the same thing and place them behind an application level load balancer.

Solution

xtc28

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Those are thoughts that have come to mind. This cluster is really for an A.I. That is cluster aware. Polyserver is not on my list of "likes"! I appreciate the suggestion though. I think I will stick with Linux and probably find some help to get some custom code written. Know anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.