How do I reset my ink levels?

I have a HP 5550 inkjet printer and had the ink refilled on my HP57 & HP58 ink cartridges. However the ink levels are still showing empty. How do I reset the software so It will show the proper ink levels?

steve0410

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
Found this, think it's a good explaination.

"HP Printers internally keep track of your cartidges by a serial number embedded into the cartridge. When it's low, the printer remembers. This is entirely done within the printer itself, and not the printer software. However, most HP printers will only keep 2 cartridges in memory, so if you have 2 extra cartridges, (even empty ones) you could cycle them through to reset the printers memory, and reset the ink level to full. Basically, even though you've refilled your cartridge, the printer has the cartidge's serial number stored in memory. This will reset it."

Hope this helps

G

MY PROBLEM IS DIFFERENT?.. PLEASE HELP.. I HAVE HP ALL IN ONE 1610. WHEN I REFILLED THE CARTRIDGES, I GOT THIS MESSAGE " ERROR, INCORRECT CARTRIDGE INSTALLED" ALSO " THE INSTALLED CARTRIDGE IS NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN THIS PRINTER" AND THE PRINTER WILL NOT PRINT ... PLEASE HELP.. HOW TO RESET GENUINE CARTRIDGE RECOGNITION OF THIS MODEL.. THANKS IN ADVANCE

HANY