Two WINXP on one machine

Hi,

I had two OS on my computer - Win 98 SE on drive C and XP Professional on D.
I decided to upgrade Win98 to XP Professional.

Upgrade was successful, but the computer didn't recognise two OS. The
original XP was not noticed.

So I went to System Restore settings, and changed boot.ini file as ...

[boot loader]
timeout =12
default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS

[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP
Professional 1"

C:\="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 2"

Now my computer has stopped working. How should I bail myself out of this?

Thanks!

jmatt

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2001

Are they 2 seperate drives or 2 partitions?

-------------= Posted from Ugroups.com =-------------
---= Fast & Free Web Portal to Usenet Newsgroups =---
-------------= http://www.ugroups.com/ =-------------

galen

Distinguished
May 24, 2004

In news:B826A3FA-0E04-4901-92F1-A5329E1F3E61@microsoft.com,
penguin_skywalker <penguinskywalker@discussions.microsoft.com> had this to
say:

> Hi,
>
> I had two OS on my computer - Win 98 SE on drive C and XP
> Professional on D. I decided to upgrade Win98 to XP Professional.
>
> Upgrade was successful, but the computer didn't recognise two OS. The
> original XP was not noticed.
>
> So I went to System Restore settings, and changed boot.ini file as ...
>

> [boot loader]
> timeout =12
> default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
>
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional 1"
>
> C:\="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 2"

> Now my computer has stopped working. How should I bail myself out of
> this?
>
> Thanks!

Well, from the recovery console you can try to use the fixboot command. Pop
the CD in, boot, and select recovery console.

Using Recovery Console Commands :
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/Windows/XP/all/reskit/en-us/prmb_tol_pzsk.asp

Else here's a boot.ini copy for a single XP Pro SP2 installation:

http://kgiii.info/windows/XP/advanced/bootini.html

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes

Do you have 2 hard drives?
Or two partitions on one drive?

Two hard drives:
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP
Professional 1"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP
Professional 2"

Two partitions on one drive:
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP
--
Ron Sommer

"penguin_skywalker" <penguinskywalker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:B826A3FA-0E04-4901-92F1-A5329E1F3E61@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> I had two OS on my computer - Win 98 SE on drive C and XP Professional on
> D.
> I decided to upgrade Win98 to XP Professional.
>
> Upgrade was successful, but the computer didn't recognise two OS. The
> original XP was not noticed.
>
> So I went to System Restore settings, and changed boot.ini file as ...
>

> [boot loader]
> timeout =12
> default = multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS
>
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS = "Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional 1"
>
> C:\="Microsoft Windows XP Professional 2"

> Now my computer has stopped working. How should I bail myself out of this?
>
> Thanks!

Hi Ron,

I used incorrect terminology. Actually I have only one hard disk, and three
partitions. I have Operating Systems only on C: and D:.

The Win 98 that was upgraded to XP asks for DOS commands and I am not
familiar with them. The original XP does not start; and I recieve a message
stating that there is a configuration error.

Thanks!

I sounds like theWin 98 upgrade didn't complete.

You need C:\ntldr, C:\boot.ini, and C:\ntdetect.com to boot the original XP.
Boot.ini needs to show XP on partition 2.

I am not sure if this will work.
Boot with the XP CD and at the Setup/Repair screen, choose Repair. In
Recovery Console, use
the following commands:

1) FIXBOOT, answer Yes
2) CD \
3) ATTRIB -H NTLDR
4) ATTRIB -S NTLDR
5) ATTRIB -R NTLDR
6) ATTRIB -H NTDETECT.COM
7) ATTRIB -S NTDETEC.COM
8) ATTRIB -R NTDETECT.COM
9) COPY X:\I386\NTLDR C:\
10) COPY X:\I386\NTDETECT.COM C:\

In Steps 9 and 10, X is the letter of your CD-Rom drive.
--

message news:F63F0EC9-3787-4DD3-9AEF-B9C7C854B2CB@microsoft.com...
> Hi Ron,
>
> I used incorrect terminology. Actually I have only one hard disk, and
> three
> partitions. I have Operating Systems only on C: and D:.
>
> The Win 98 that was upgraded to XP asks for DOS commands and I am not
> familiar with them. The original XP does not start; and I recieve a
> message
> stating that there is a configuration error.
>
> Thanks!

Hey Ron! :)

Thanks for taking the time to help me out! It was very useful to me.

I did not need to use fixboot command. I tried bootcfg /rebuild first, and
it worked.

Take care! :)

Hey Galen!

Thanks for sharing these addresses with me. It made a big difference.

When I referred to it, I did not comprehend what exactly the fixboot command
does. I tried bootcfg /rebuild to rectify the boot.ini file, and it did the
trick! ;)

Have a great day! :)