Pirate era - miniatures questions

Hello all,

I started the pirates era to have some fun ,other then just playing WWII all
the time.
Its a complete different way of gaming and I enjoy it so far! I recommend it
to everyone, hehe
Currently I have the complete Foundry range and the starters pack from
Flagshipgames which comes with 2 small ships(bought all this piratestuff 5
years ago in a temporary drift but had it stored in the cellar due lack of
time)
Now I am completely into it and becomming pretty addicted by that period :)

So, I have the ruleset from Flagshipgames which I will give a try soon, I
have enough pirates to start with and 2 small boats. I will make a nice fort
on a small island later on (with molds from Hirst Arts) so that part will be
done too.

What I am still looking after is:

a) Big ships: I found some on the Old Glory website but thats pretty it.
Several searches didnt get me any decent result to my surprise!
Is that period so limited for ships? I am so disappointed so far on this :-(
I might even start giving a try to make me my own boat if its not too
difficult but so far I only found one shipplan on the foundry website.
Having some more would be great.

b) Nice buildings, etc.... anything that adds fun to the table
Found a good site allready http://www.ainsty.co.uk/ but knowing some others
would be nice.

c) If any of you own or knows a good website(s) with pictures to enjoy,
campaign, info,rules, shipplans, ideas, whatever.... I would appreciate it
and surely check them out!

I know there was a pirate miniatures discussion forum on yahoo several years
ago, but I cannt find the option to 'search' for groups on the yahoo
website... I allways use google so I have no idea on how yahoo works for
discussiongroups.

d) For having some diversity amongst my battles I am also looking for a
dozen of English soldiers ( I like the redcoats like in the Pirates of the
Caribbean movie, even if they arent the right costumes) and a dozen of
Spanish and French soldiers. Finding some cannibals for populating an island
wasnt that difficult to find :)
Someone advised me on the figures from Dixon, merely on the Grand Alliance
section of it, but unfortunately there arent pictures over there, so I cannt
see what description really fits my needs. I even dont know half of the
terms used in them. Anyone has other suggestions, and or pictures from that
Dixon range?

Thats pretty all what comes into my mind right now
Thanks for reading this and I hope on some possitive feedback from fellow
Buccaneers and Piratehunters ;-)

Greetings, Cepero

"Cepero" <cepero.jose@pandora.be> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I started the pirates era to have some fun ,other then just playing WWII
all
> the time.
> Its a complete different way of gaming and I enjoy it so far! I recommend
it
> to everyone, hehe
> Currently I have the complete Foundry range and the starters pack from
> Flagshipgames which comes with 2 small ships(bought all this piratestuff 5
> years ago in a temporary drift but had it stored in the cellar due lack
of
> time)
> Now I am completely into it and becomming pretty addicted by that period
:)

> So, I have the ruleset from Flagshipgames which I will give a try soon, I
> have enough pirates to start with and 2 small boats. I will make a nice
fort
> on a small island later on (with molds from Hirst Arts) so that part will
be
> done too.
>
> What I am still looking after is:
>
> a) Big ships: I found some on the Old Glory website but thats pretty it.
> Several searches didnt get me any decent result to my surprise!
> Is that period so limited for ships? I am so disappointed so far on this
:-(
> I might even start giving a try to make me my own boat if its not too
> difficult but so far I only found one shipplan on the foundry website.
> Having some more would be great.

How big are you talking? I'm actually planning on making a sailing ship
about 18" long to try out some experimental terrain building techniques.

Arrrrrrrrrr,
Donovan Borman

Estarriol

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

>> a) Big ships: I found some on the Old Glory website but thats pretty it.
>> Several searches didnt get me any decent result to my surprise!
>> Is that period so limited for ships? I am so disappointed so far on this
> :-(
>> I might even start giving a try to make me my own boat if its not too
>> difficult but so far I only found one shipplan on the foundry website.
>> Having some more would be great.
>
> How big are you talking? I'm actually planning on making a sailing ship
> about 18" long to try out some experimental terrain building techniques.

Village green used to do pirate ships in resin, I think they are owned by
stronghold or some such now.

--
estarriol

"estarriol" <estarriol@blueyonder.jeansNtshirt.co.uk> wrote in message

> >> a) Big ships: I found some on the Old Glory website but thats pretty
it.
> >> Several searches didnt get me any decent result to my surprise!
> >> Is that period so limited for ships? I am so disappointed so far on
this
> > :-(
> >> I might even start giving a try to make me my own boat if its not too
> >> difficult but so far I only found one shipplan on the foundry website.
> >> Having some more would be great.
> >
> > How big are you talking? I'm actually planning on making a sailing ship
> > about 18" long to try out some experimental terrain building techniques.
> >
> Village green used to do pirate ships in resin, I think they are owned by
> stronghold or some such now.

I've completed my Renaissance ship mentioned above, and I'm loving it. The
main differences are: my production cost is about 50-90% less than the resin
ships and boats from Old Glory, weigh almost nothing in comparison (cheap
shipping), masts et al break down for transporting, and are designed for
gaming (row boats, spars, 'tween decks , etc. hold regular standing
figures). At the moment I don't have guns and crew, though all things
considered it'd probably be cheaper to get them via Old Glory or some such.

Cepero <cepero.jose@pandora.be> wrote:
> d) For having some diversity amongst my battles I am also looking for a
> dozen of English soldiers ( I like the redcoats like in the Pirates of the
> Caribbean movie, even if they arent the right costumes) and a dozen of
> Spanish and French soldiers. Finding some cannibals for populating an island
> wasnt that difficult to find :)

You might be interested in the 15 mm Pirate range by Peter Pig:

It contains such interesting figures as pirates (naturally), female
pirates, government troops, the governor himself, natives, corsairs, gun
crews, boat crews and so on.

The web site at http://www.peterpig.co.uk/ contains some illustrations -
look for Pirates - Range 10.

Axel