RAID O, Diff. HDDs?

This will be for the rig in my sig. So, two IDE HDDS and Seriell converters.

Question is will these two HDDs play nice together?

One is a Maxtor 2MB buffer, 60gig 7200rpm (ATA133)

2cd is Maxtor 8MB buffer, 80gig, 7200rpm. (ATA133)

Pretty close, but not exact. All I lack is the second seriell converter or I'd just test. But the same exact 80giger in on sale till tomorrow night. So I need to know b4 then if gotta buy another (identical) one. I'm hoping not, from what I read elsewhere I SHOULD be OK with what I've got now.

Thanks,

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X215)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
BBA 9800 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win2K sp4
3 answers Last reply
More about raid diff hdds
  1. Software raid0 in windows maybe (only if you have a partition on each drive that is the same size).
    Raid controller raid0, sincerely doubt it. You will need 2 drives that are exactly the same to do a raid0 using a raid controller.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
  2. You most certainly could take two hard disks that are different and create a RAID 0 array in most RAID controllers.

I wouldn't recommend it though.

Most likley it would just be slowed down by one drive or another depending on how it treats the drives, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were additional more subtle problems as well.

Most likely it can be done with the controller you are using.

Good luck.
  3. You can use them, but:
    1- The size of the array will be 2 time the size of the smallest drive, so that will be 2 x 60 = 120 gigs. You'll loose 20 gigs in the process

2- The slowest drive will be the one that will define the speed of the array, so I guess that the 60 gigs might slow it down a bit, but not too much.

Going RAID0 here will have you to loose 20 gigs, and that the thing you should decide if you can afford it.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives NAS / RAID Maxtor Storage