Sign in with
Your question

RAID O, Diff. HDDs?

Last response: in Storage
March 10, 2005 5:14:27 PM

This will be for the rig in my sig. So, two IDE HDDS and Seriell converters.

Question is will these two HDDs play nice together?

One is a Maxtor 2MB buffer, 60gig 7200rpm (ATA133)

2cd is Maxtor 8MB buffer, 80gig, 7200rpm. (ATA133)

Pretty close, but not exact. All I lack is the second seriell converter or I'd just test. But the same exact 80giger in on sale till tomorrow night. So I need to know b4 then if gotta buy another (identical) one. I'm hoping not, from what I read elsewhere I SHOULD be OK with what I've got now.

Thanks,

Mobile XP 2600+ (11X215)
Abit NF7-S v 2.0
Maxtor 60GB ATA 133 7200RPM
512MB Corsair Twinx 3200LL
BBA 9800 Pro
Enermax Noisetaker 420 watts
Win2K sp4

More about : raid diff hdds

March 10, 2005 6:17:27 PM

Software raid0 in windows maybe (only if you have a partition on each drive that is the same size).
Raid controller raid0, sincerely doubt it. You will need 2 drives that are exactly the same to do a raid0 using a raid controller.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>
March 10, 2005 8:05:11 PM

You most certainly could take two hard disks that are different and create a RAID 0 array in most RAID controllers.

I wouldn't recommend it though.

Most likley it would just be slowed down by one drive or another depending on how it treats the drives, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were additional more subtle problems as well.

Most likely it can be done with the controller you are using.

Good luck.
March 12, 2005 4:55:21 PM

You can use them, but:
1- The size of the array will be 2 time the size of the smallest drive, so that will be 2 x 60 = 120 gigs. You'll loose 20 gigs in the process

2- The slowest drive will be the one that will define the speed of the array, so I guess that the 60 gigs might slow it down a bit, but not too much.

Going RAID0 here will have you to loose 20 gigs, and that the thing you should decide if you can afford it.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
!