Sign in with
Your question

Various BSOD's (nvlddmkm.sys ntoskrnl.exe dxgmms1.sys eamon.sys)

Last response: in Windows 7
September 23, 2012 12:33:40 PM

Hi

I have been getting BSOD's for quite a while now, maybe 6 months or so, i know its quite a while but the Blue screens did'nt happen as often until yesterday.

I purchased borderlands 2 and on the first day of playing it i received only one BSOD, as you can see from the image (21st september). and then yesterday i received 8 in total, some different than the others.

This is my current setup:
Intel Q9550 Quad Core
ASUS P5QL Pro Motherboard
ASUS Nvidia 560 TI 1GB (Upgraded from ATI 4890)
4GB DDR2 RAM
650W PSU

I reformatted the PC when i upgraded my graphics card to an Nvidia 560TI from a ATI 4890 and still problems occured. Blue screens happened then when i hads the ATI and still with the Nvidia. Now i have tested both sticks of RAM with Memtest and no errors occured, i also checked CPU Temp using BIOS and nothing unusual found there either.

i am also getting a new motherboard soon, so will swap that and also see what happens.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

thanks
September 23, 2012 12:38:25 PM

Sorry i think i have put this thread in wrong area, any chance a mod can move to correct place?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 23, 2012 12:48:07 PM

Try running memtest86 for at least three passes to test your memory. This is probably a memory problem. If no problems are detected then the next most likely suspect is the power supply
m
l
Related resources
September 23, 2012 1:35:36 PM

how long should i let it run? i let it run for a around 2 hours last time
m
l
September 23, 2012 4:30:55 PM

Going to Run memtest tomorrow morning, in the meantime i'm going to give Borderlands another shot.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 23, 2012 11:50:56 PM

Three passes of memtest86 will take around two hours depending on processor, however it is better to let it test overnight or as long as possible.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 24, 2012 2:40:16 PM

Looks like RAM at first glance; I see the general RAM related BSOD messages (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA).

That being said, there are also five driver related BSOD's popping up (DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, DRIVER_OVERRUN_STACK_ERROR, DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED), so this might be a case of a badly written driver or faulty hardware.

Its also worth noting: Both the NVIDIA driver (nvlddmkm.sys) and DirectX system driver (dxgmms1.sys) are seen crashing a LOT, so this could be a GPU side driver/hardware problem. Unlikely though, since you already swapped GPU's...
m
l
September 24, 2012 3:17:18 PM

gamerk316 said:
Looks like RAM at first glance; I see the general RAM related BSOD messages (IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION, PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA).

That being said, there are also five driver related BSOD's popping up (DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, DRIVER_OVERRUN_STACK_ERROR, DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED), so this might be a case of a badly written driver or faulty hardware.

Its also worth noting: Both the NVIDIA driver (nvlddmkm.sys) and DirectX system driver (dxgmms1.sys) are seen crashing a LOT, so this could be a GPU side driver/hardware problem. Unlikely though, since you already swapped GPU's...

Did'nt have time to test the RAM this morning, so will test again tomorrow morning.

Thanks for the feedback
m
l
September 24, 2012 9:11:28 PM

NOw this is quite weird, the past two days whenever i played Steam i got between 6 and 8 different BSOD's but today i played for 3 hours straight and no Blue Screens at all. I did not change a thing too.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
September 25, 2012 11:45:44 AM

Sounds like RAM then; depending on how its allocated, its possible that if only a small section is bad, you won't see any problems.

Seriously, run memtest86.
m
l
September 25, 2012 12:12:14 PM

gamerk316 said:
Sounds like RAM then; depending on how its allocated, its possible that if only a small section is bad, you won't see any problems.

Seriously, run memtest86.

Just ran memtest for just over four hours and there were no errors found (4 passes)

Any chance it would be the harddrive or processor? I'm getting a new motherboard tomorrow and should have that fitted soon.
m
l
September 25, 2012 2:31:31 PM

mp10 said:
Just ran memtest for just over four hours and there were no errors found (4 passes)

Any chance it would be the harddrive or processor? I'm getting a new motherboard tomorrow and should have that fitted soon.

Possible, what make/model hard drive?

Could you download and run Whocrashed HERE and copy/paste the conclusion?

...also with the RAM; it's possible it's not the modules themselves but rather the controller or socket(s) although unlikely.
m
l
September 25, 2012 4:16:03 PM

RussK1 said:
Possible, what make/model hard drive?

Could you download and run Whocrashed HERE and copy/paste the conclusion?

...also with the RAM; it's possible it's not the modules themselves but rather the controller or socket(s) although unlikely.

The Harddrive is Maxtor 500gb

And the conclusion:

Conclusion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

20 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. Only 15 are included in this report. 2 third party drivers have been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 306.23 , NVIDIA Corporation)

eamonm.sys (Amon monitor, ESET)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination the errors that have been reported for these drivers and include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions from users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the topic general suggestions for troubleshooting system crashes for more information.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is actually responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.
m
l
September 25, 2012 5:25:10 PM

Uninstall Eset Nod32 (or disable it) and re-install nVidia drivers.

Retest...
m
l
October 2, 2012 12:50:05 AM

Recently purchased a new motherboard and no more blue screens, like gamerk316 said i think it was the RAM slots that were the problem.

Thanks for the help guys :) 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 2, 2012 12:34:08 PM

Its sounding more like a problem with unstable power distribution. I've seen it happen, where memtest86 passes without a problem, but the culprit is still RAM due to occasionally not getting enough power. A voltage bump generally solves that problem...

Still, glad to hear its fixed.
m
l
!