gwyn

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2004
hi all
Iv been having some problems running at high graphics settings in games like doom3, iv been getting slowdowns and freezes after turning the game off.
I have tryed everything different drivers diferent card with no difference.
I was wondering if it could be the ram, memtest is fine but when I try and change any of the mem timing I get a blue screen saying machine_check_error
the ram im using is crucial ct6464z40b pc3200 two matching 512 sticks running in dual channel.
thanks for any help.

Abit AN8 Fatality
amd 64 3500 winnie
1 gig pc3200
X850XT with power cable connected
160 hitachi
tagan 480 psu

everything at stock

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
Looks like you have a pretty good setup.

Can you provide more details of the problem. You are having problems both during and after gameplay?

Since you've tried different video cards already, I would suspect it has something to do with motherboard/memory compatibility.

What happens if you use just 1 stick of 512MB alone?

gwyn

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2004
when I play games I get slow-downs even at fairly low settings, and now and again windows freezes after turning the game off.
last night a friend of mine brought round 2 stick of crucial balistiX pc4000 and every thing ran fine at the max settings at 1600 by 1200 aa6 af 16.
and after I put my ram back in every thing seemed better, I could run games on higher settings.
but now everytime I boot the pc up before the blue windows screen comes up I get a blue screen of death with machine_check_error on it.
to get past this I have to boot into safemode and then restart and it boots up fine.
all very strange
any ideas?

gwyn

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2004
sorry I forgot to mention, I did'nt start getting blue screens until I started playing with the ram timings and I still get a blue screen after putting them back to auto.
I have just ran prime95 and windows froze after 20 mins.
no errors showed up it just did'nt get past test 1.
then I tryed running the test that does'nt test much ram and the test ran fine.
So to me that sounds like the ram is the problem,
what do you think?

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Youve already found your problem. If the system worked fine with your friends RAM and after switching back to your old RAM the problems come back then its obviously what BRENT already had guessed. SOunds like a memory/Mobo compatibility issue. Did you check to make sure that the RAM your using is compatible with your Mobo? There will be a list on the Mobo's website. Blue Screens many times signal memory issues.

READ THE STICKY AND WIN A PRIZE! ALL PRIZES CAN BE CLAIMED IN THE SECTION TITLED "THE OTHER"

G

You have that DFI lanparty UT nf4 Ultra-D board, right? Those are fairly picky about memory

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>

G

It's the nf4 chipset then, right?

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>

gwyn

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2004
Yes im using a an8 fatality mobo NF4-ultra
I called crucial up and they dont even have the an8
in there database so they cant really help me.
Im cansidering getting this instead
Corsair 1GB, PC4400 2x64Mx64, non-ECC 2x184 DIMM, unbuffered, 2.5-4-4-8, Silver

what do you guys think?

G

When I emailed them about them about the DFI Lanparty UT nf4 Ultra-D mobo, Crucial said their ballistix line would work fine, but that was before I decided on the OCZ pc4000 dual channel 1gb gold vx RAM. Supposed to work very well with the DFI board, but I guess I'll see.

gwyn

Distinguished
Feb 29, 2004
i just called crucial and they agreed to replace my ram with balistix pc4000 if i payed the difference to that what i did.
should i set the ram settings to auto or what timings should I use as im not oc yet?

G

I can't wait to see what the DFI board can do at up to 4.0 :smile:

<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>