Extremely Slow Computer

My girlfriend's computer is extremely slow, and I was wondering if anyone
here had any suggestions. She has a Dell Dimension 2350, (I believe) with a
celeron processor. It's not that old (maybe 4-5 years old?).

I am always running her ad-aware and spybot. I just updated her Norton Anti
Virus and ran that last night. At this point, I'm not thinking it's any
spyware or viruses since they've all been deleted and cleaned out. She used
to have spyware, and a lot. Does anyone think that even though it's been
cleaned out, perhaps some kind of "permanent" damage has been done to her
registry as a result of the spyware I deleted from her computer several
months ago? If not, perhaps it's a hardware issue? Any other suggestions? I
guess she may need to defragment also?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!
2 answers Last reply
More about extremely slow computer

    A Celeron that's 4-5 years old could just be really slow because it's
    outdated. What's more important than the type of processor (alone) would be
    to know the speed of the processor, the amount of memory, operating system
    (I assume XP home), etc.

    It also depends what she's running on the computer. If she's running newer
    software on older hardware, she'll notice it being slow.

    And no, cleaning out spyware doesn't usually damage the registry. And if it
    was truly damaged, you would know it . . . things wouldn't work at all.

    Brandon

    "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > My girlfriend's computer is extremely slow, and I was wondering if anyone
    > here had any suggestions. She has a Dell Dimension 2350, (I believe) with
    > celeron processor. It's not that old (maybe 4-5 years old?).
    >
    > I am always running her ad-aware and spybot. I just updated her Norton
    > Anti
    > Virus and ran that last night. At this point, I'm not thinking it's any
    > spyware or viruses since they've all been deleted and cleaned out. She
    > used
    > to have spyware, and a lot. Does anyone think that even though it's been
    > cleaned out, perhaps some kind of "permanent" damage has been done to her
    > registry as a result of the spyware I deleted from her computer several
    > months ago? If not, perhaps it's a hardware issue? Any other suggestions?
    > guess she may need to defragment also?
    >
    > Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

    Hi Brandon:

    Thanks for your quick response. I guess I forgot to indicate some of those
    other specifications you were asking about (yes, it's XP home). I don't
    really remember exactly how much memory she has, but I know it's sufficient
    for her needs. (256?)I've "checked under the hood" and remember seeing the
    processor speed, but I don't remember exactly what it is so I'm guessing
    about 1ghz. She's not using any specific, fancy software that could be
    causing a conflict. It seems like it takes about 5 minutes to boot her system
    up.

    I know the Celeron is their "value" processor, but I use one on my work
    notebook here (my boss didn't want to spend the extra $$$), but it is
    certainly fast enough for my needs. Are you saying the older-generation
    celeron is that much slower?

    Thanks!

    "Brandon" wrote:

    > A Celeron that's 4-5 years old could just be really slow because it's
    > outdated. What's more important than the type of processor (alone) would be
    > to know the speed of the processor, the amount of memory, operating system
    > (I assume XP home), etc.
    >
    > It also depends what she's running on the computer. If she's running newer
    > software on older hardware, she'll notice it being slow.
    >
    > And no, cleaning out spyware doesn't usually damage the registry. And if it
    > was truly damaged, you would know it . . . things wouldn't work at all.
    >
    > Brandon
    >
    > "Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > My girlfriend's computer is extremely slow, and I was wondering if anyone
    > > here had any suggestions. She has a Dell Dimension 2350, (I believe) with
    > > celeron processor. It's not that old (maybe 4-5 years old?).
    > >
    > > I am always running her ad-aware and spybot. I just updated her Norton
    > > Anti
    > > Virus and ran that last night. At this point, I'm not thinking it's any
    > > spyware or viruses since they've all been deleted and cleaned out. She
    > > used
    > > to have spyware, and a lot. Does anyone think that even though it's been
    > > cleaned out, perhaps some kind of "permanent" damage has been done to her
    > > registry as a result of the spyware I deleted from her computer several
    > > months ago? If not, perhaps it's a hardware issue? Any other suggestions?
    > > guess she may need to defragment also?
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

Computers Spyware Windows XP