Extremely Slow Computer

My girlfriend's computer is extremely slow, and I was wondering if anyone
here had any suggestions. She has a Dell Dimension 2350, (I believe) with a
celeron processor. It's not that old (maybe 4-5 years old?).

I am always running her ad-aware and spybot. I just updated her Norton Anti
Virus and ran that last night. At this point, I'm not thinking it's any
spyware or viruses since they've all been deleted and cleaned out. She used
to have spyware, and a lot. Does anyone think that even though it's been
cleaned out, perhaps some kind of "permanent" damage has been done to her
registry as a result of the spyware I deleted from her computer several
months ago? If not, perhaps it's a hardware issue? Any other suggestions? I
guess she may need to defragment also?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

A Celeron that's 4-5 years old could just be really slow because it's
outdated. What's more important than the type of processor (alone) would be
to know the speed of the processor, the amount of memory, operating system
(I assume XP home), etc.

It also depends what she's running on the computer. If she's running newer
software on older hardware, she'll notice it being slow.

And no, cleaning out spyware doesn't usually damage the registry. And if it
was truly damaged, you would know it . . . things wouldn't work at all.

Brandon

"Doug" <Doug@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My girlfriend's computer is extremely slow, and I was wondering if anyone
> here had any suggestions. She has a Dell Dimension 2350, (I believe) with
> celeron processor. It's not that old (maybe 4-5 years old?).
>
> I am always running her ad-aware and spybot. I just updated her Norton
> Anti
> Virus and ran that last night. At this point, I'm not thinking it's any
> spyware or viruses since they've all been deleted and cleaned out. She
> used
> to have spyware, and a lot. Does anyone think that even though it's been
> cleaned out, perhaps some kind of "permanent" damage has been done to her
> registry as a result of the spyware I deleted from her computer several
> months ago? If not, perhaps it's a hardware issue? Any other suggestions?
> guess she may need to defragment also?
>
> Thanks in advance for everyone's help!

Hi Brandon:

Thanks for your quick response. I guess I forgot to indicate some of those
other specifications you were asking about (yes, it's XP home). I don't
really remember exactly how much memory she has, but I know it's sufficient
for her needs. (256?)I've "checked under the hood" and remember seeing the
processor speed, but I don't remember exactly what it is so I'm guessing
about 1ghz. She's not using any specific, fancy software that could be
causing a conflict. It seems like it takes about 5 minutes to boot her system
up.

I know the Celeron is their "value" processor, but I use one on my work
notebook here (my boss didn't want to spend the extra $$$), but it is
certainly fast enough for my needs. Are you saying the older-generation
celeron is that much slower?

Thanks!