• Memory Upgrade
Last response: in Memory
March 12, 2005 4:10:50 AM

Hi,

My current spec is :
2.8 P4 Northwood 533fsb
MSI 648max mobo
512mb PC2700 Ram CAS 2.5@ 2.6V (two 256 sticks) default timings
Sapphire 9800pro 128Mb (BIOS flashed to XT)
Antec 425W PSU

The most intesive use is games...mainly Counterstike Source. I keep crashing though after about an hour of play with a memory error. Used Windows Memory tester to check for errors but all is good.

I was thinking of upgrading to 1Gb of PC2700 by addin a 512 stick into the third slot (mobo only has 3). Then I was advised to upgrade to PC3200 instead to fix crash problems. However, I also read that if I get PC3200 my cpu will bottleneck it cos of the 533Mhz fsb. Is this true? I don't really trust all the opinions of the guys at the CS:S forums...

Another thing I was thinking is that it could be the mobo. I'm trying to think what my best option is. Do I get another 512Mb PC2700 making 1Gb total, Get 512Mb of PC3200 instead or change the mobo? All these options will cost around the same so any help would be greatly appreciated...

More about : memory upgrade

a b } Memory
March 13, 2005 6:11:59 AM

I'd go with PC3200, clocked down to PC2700 for extra stability.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
a b } Memory
March 13, 2005 6:13:44 AM

Although not officially supported by SiS, both the 645 and 648 are perfectly capable of running 200MHz RAM and 133MHz CPU busses. I had an Asus P4S533 (645) run perfectly stable using that setting, even when overclocked. However, the redesigned P4S8X never ran stable.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 13, 2005 6:37:16 AM

Nice one for the advice...

Yes, i have latest drivers (omegas give me better fps). Think I'll go for the pc3200 option then.

Just another quick question though not directly related to RAM. Is it worth upgrading the mobo too. Will ther be a noticable performance increase if I got an A-bit IS7-G or MSI 875PE Neo platinum edition? Both options will only cost me around $75. A worthy upgrade or not?
March 14, 2005 8:01:04 AM

Yeah...kinda what I was thinking too. I might sell it by building a rig for my mate using my old spares...Celeron 2ghz, GeForce4 and old psu plus the RAM i have just changed. If I can do that then I'll get a new mobo.

So yeah...I got a stick of Hynix 512mb PC3200 and noticed a nice little perormance increase but hurray...CS:S still crashes! Damn that game! So many bugs! Oh well, I have a built in time limit so I can't play all night...Could be my girlfriend's curse!
March 17, 2005 11:30:28 PM

Right...was very happy with the 512 stick I got so I though yeah, why not? and bought another one. Now I have 1gb. Trouble was, when I put it in the second slot, the pc just wouldn't start at all, reboot while loading XP or load XP then freeze after a few mintues requiring a manual reset! Totally inconsistent!

I tried switching around all the slots with all the different combinations possible...No solution. Tried messing around with BIOS settings. No joy.

Rather angry, decided to put the old 2700 ram in and it worked. Made a boot disk for memtest and put the 3200 back in and tested it. Restarted after no errors found. It worked! Of course, CS:S still crashes requiring a manual reset (I was getting this though with the 2700).

WTF is going on? How do I use those timings? I have 2 main options in my BIOS for my RAM.
1. CPU/RAM ratio (loads of ratios but only 2 numbers eg. 2:1,2:3 etc..)
2. RAM timing mode (safe, normal, fast, turbo and Ultra)
So how can I be sure I'm using the right timings? I assume it is this that's causing the problem...The curse goes on...