Sign in with
Your question
Closed

How to change ip address in windows 7 and mac

Last response: in Windows 7
March 21, 2010 11:00:57 AM

Hello,

i am using a mac and a windows 7 computer... so if i change the ip address on my windows 7 computer would it also affect my mac... i am using wireless connection..if it affect.. how to resolve it
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
March 21, 2010 11:26:55 AM

Why do you need to change your IP address?
Score
March 21, 2010 11:33:36 AM

for some reason i cant access my school website from my home comp and i have a account there.. when i aasked the school admi he said my ip adress causes it to stop acess from the website and i need to change it
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
March 21, 2010 12:05:11 PM

I'm sorry, but you can't change the publicly accessible IP address that your ISP has assigned to you.
Score
Anonymous
a b $ Windows 7
March 21, 2010 12:41:17 PM

That's not always true. If you have cable internet service, you can clone the MAC address of your PC on your router and then reboot your cable modem. Due to the MAC address change, you should get a new IP address.
Score
March 21, 2010 12:46:07 PM

Ijack said:
I'm sorry, but you can't change the publicly accessible IP address that your ISP has assigned to you.

apprently.. in this forum they said i can change ip adress by going to command and typing ipconfig/release and then renew it???????
Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 21, 2010 12:50:34 PM

Quote:
That's not always true. If you have cable internet service, you can clone the MAC address of your PC on your router and then reboot your cable modem. Due to the MAC address change, you should get a new IP address.

True - and dynamic addresses can always change - my reply was somewhat simplistic. But, in my experience, when an IP address is blocked by a site it is normally a network range rather than a single address. A new dynamic address is still very likely to lie within the same blocked range.

As the OP says, you can certainly change your local IP address (if you have a router and are using NAT), but that's going to have zero effect. It's the public address, the address of your router, that is blocked.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
September 18, 2010 5:54:22 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!