File Sharing between 2 PC's

PC1 is XP Home - PC2 is XP Pro. Both are connected via a small 5-port
switch. Both PC's are setup with their C: drives shared. PC2 can see PC1 and
access PC1's hardrive and see all files. When you try to view PC2 from PC1
you can see the PC but when you try and access you get an error saying
'\\sharename is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
network resource. Logon failure. The user has not been granted the requested
logon type at this computer.'
Both PC's have SP2, both have firewall turned off. We have run through
Articles 318030 and 281248, made no difference. Both PC's can Ping each other.
3 answers Last reply
More about file sharing

    David Ewer wrote:
    > PC1 is XP Home - PC2 is XP Pro. Both are connected via a small 5-port
    > switch. Both PC's are setup with their C: drives shared. PC2 can see
    > PC1 and access PC1's hardrive and see all files. When you try to view
    > PC2 from PC1 you can see the PC but when you try and access you get
    > an error saying '\\sharename is not accessible. You might not have
    > permission to use this network resource. Logon failure. The user has
    > not been granted the requested logon type at this computer.'
    > Both PC's have SP2, both have firewall turned off. We have run through
    > Articles 318030 and 281248, made no difference. Both PC's can Ping
    > each other.

    Do you have simple file sharing enabled on both PCs?

    --
    Peace!
    Kurt

    For PC1 (XP Home) the option is not shown. For PC2 (XP Pro) the option is
    turned off.

    David Ewer <DavidEwer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    > For PC1 (XP Home) the option is not shown. For PC2 (XP Pro) the option is
    > turned off.

    Turn it on on the XP Pro machine. [it's not shown on XP Home machine
    because SFS is always on in XP Home]

    For file sharing to work, the "remote" user needs an account on the
    "server" machine. Easiest way around this is Simple File Sharing (which
    uses the Guest account), or make accounts on both machines that have the
    same username and password.

    If you still can't get it working, run the Network Setup Wizzard, that'll
    make sure all necessary services and settings are intialized for file
    sharing.

File Sharing Windows XP