Strange and Eerie Problem

Jeepyny625

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
So I'm fairly experienced at building up systems, and my current system is as such -

AMD 3000+
Asus K8N+ Deluxe
Audigy 2
Radeon 9700
Creative 6.1 speakers
etc,

Basically, this is what has happened.
A month or two ago, usually late at night, I'd be surfing the web or whatever, and suddenly, out of nowhere, usually out of the rear center speaker of the setup, a slightly electronicized voice starts speaking, usually unintelligible, for a few seconds. It doesn't sound like a radio transmission, and its often laughing.

It shows up randomly, and I'm trying to figure out what could cause it. I doubt it's DSL interference, and I don't think its just radio interference because it usually hits the rear speakers and usually sounds like an announcement.

It's very strange and I'm trying to figure out if there's a recognized worm/virus out there that creates some sort of security gap to make this possible.

Thanks

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
That is a little spooky. I cant think of any sort of virus, spyware, etc that could possibley cause that. Does it sound exactly the same every time?
I've heard speakers pick up radio stations before. Maybe your speakers are picking up a cordless phone or something? Laughing is higher pitch than regular speech so that could be the only thing that gets picked up.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Jeepyny625

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
I've thought of the potential for radios or cordless phones, but the voice seems to sound the same every time, and actually relatively deep in tone, so it strikes me as probably not accidental.

Also, since it seems to come across one speaker at a time, it strikes me that it must have hacked the the sound card or at least is sophisticated enough to image itself in 6.1 to show up in a strange speaker.

It's rather strange, and I'm eager to hear if anybody has any experience with this. It's leading to me believe that I may have security issues. Have to check my firewall to see if there are any strange programs with access...

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
What if you completely disconnect from the internet. Does it still happen?
If it still happens that would eliminate the possibility of a security hole of some kind.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

RichPLS

Champion
Try calling ghostbusters...

Could it be some website your visiting, sometimes they play audio?

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
Sometimes when truck drivers go past my house with illegally boosted CB radios, I get the exact same thing.

Sometimes its picked up by one or more of my home theater speakers, other times by one or more of my PC speakers.

My guess its its either that or you are starting to hear voices.

Jeepyny625

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
That sounds about right - I live in Manhattan on a major street, so big rigs are always passing relatively nearby at all hours.

Thanks for the info - was thinking I was infected by some sophisticated Trojan or something.