unable to connect to FTP servers

The command C:\ftp ftp.server.xxx gives the following message: "unknown
error".

When trying to connect with IE6 to a FTP server, nothing happens, and after
several seconds a window pops-up: "the page cannot be displayed". Using a
download manager is of no help, as the FTP server is unaccessible.

I can connect to any HTPP server, no problem at all.

Please, advise,
Thank you,
Juan
4 answers Last reply
More about unable connect servers

    In news:OYjoF1TjFHA.2472@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
    Juan Moreira <Juan@salta.ar> had this to say:

    > The command C:\ftp ftp.server.xxx gives the following message:
    > "unknown error".
    >
    > When trying to connect with IE6 to a FTP server, nothing happens, and
    > after several seconds a window pops-up: "the page cannot be
    > displayed". Using a download manager is of no help, as the FTP server
    > is unaccessible.
    > I can connect to any HTPP server, no problem at all.
    >
    > Please, advise,
    > Thank you,
    > Juan

    First consider a FTP client... www.snapfiles.com (freeware section should
    have a few.)

    Second I'm not sure but try opening up IE, clicking tools, advanced, and
    what ever option is selected for passive FTP connections try the other one.

    Galen

    without them."

    Sherlock Holmes

    "Juan Moreira" <Juan@salta.ar> wrote:

    >The command C:\ftp ftp.server.xxx gives the following message: "unknown
    >error".
    >
    >When trying to connect with IE6 to a FTP server, nothing happens, and after
    >several seconds a window pops-up: "the page cannot be displayed". Using a
    >download manager is of no help, as the FTP server is unaccessible.
    >
    >I can connect to any HTPP server, no problem at all.

    Is there a firewall between you and the net? If so, take a look at
    that and see whether it's blocking FTP packets.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)

    "Tim Slattery" <Slattery_T@bls.gov> wrote in message
    > "Juan Moreira" <Juan@salta.ar> wrote:
    >
    >>The command C:\ftp ftp.server.xxx gives the following message: "unknown
    >>error".
    >>
    >>When trying to connect with IE6 to a FTP server, nothing happens, and
    >>after
    >>several seconds a window pops-up: "the page cannot be displayed". Using a
    >>download manager is of no help, as the FTP server is unaccessible.
    >>
    >>I can connect to any HTPP server, no problem at all.
    >
    > Is there a firewall between you and the net? If so, take a look at
    > that and see whether it's blocking FTP packets.
    >
    > --
    > Tim Slattery
    > MS MVP(DTS)
    > Slattery_T@bls.gov

    Only Windows Firewall, but disabling it does not help
    I tried also Galen's advices, to no avail: An FTP client, and enabling in IE
    Pasive connections.

    But the problem, I think is not in the browser, because there is "unknown
    error" even for the following command line:
    C:\ftp localhost

    Thank you for any additional advise.
    Juan

    "Juan Moreira" <Juan@salta.ar> wrote:

    >> Is there a firewall between you and the net? If so, take a look at
    >> that and see whether it's blocking FTP packets.

    >Only Windows Firewall, but disabling it does not help
    >I tried also Galen's advices, to no avail: An FTP client, and enabling in IE
    >Pasive connections.

    >But the problem, I think is not in the browser, because there is "unknown
    >error" even for the following command line:
    >C:\ftp localhost

    I think that only happens because there's no FTP server on your own
    machine ("localhost"), so no connection can be established. I get the
    same thing, but I can use the FTP command-line tool to connect to
    other services.

    One caveat on the command-line tool: it uses *only* active mode. At
    home I have a broadband connection with a router that I connect two
    computers to. Since the command-line FTP tool uses active mode, it
    does not work in this environment. I can connect to a host, but I
    cannot get a file from it. Using a GUI tool that supports passive mode
    (WS-FTP LE) works fine.

    Having said all that, I don't know what's stopping you from
    connecting.

    --
    Tim Slattery
    MS MVP(DTS)