Power save mode behaving strangely

freejon

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Hi,

I have my homebuilt Windows 7 system, a couple of years old now set up to go into power save after 20 minutes, shutting down the disk drive and going silent - like hibernate.
Until last week, I would press enter on returning and it would quickly come back up, re-instating my system as it was whenI left.
I haven't made any intentional changes, but as of the past week, it shuts down as before, but when I press enter it goes right back to the boot screen and initially behaves as if starting from switched off. Then it comes up with "resuming windows" which would be OK, but it takes just about as long as a complete reboot.

Is there a known cause for this, or do I just need to sart the reg-genie / malware type investigation process?

All help much appreciated
Jon

Generally any "power saver" is a failure. it don't work.
It starves the CPU for voltage, etc...etc...

Go into the power profiles,
set standby, hibernate and sleep to OFF
leave the monitor standby ON, that's OK
Set the Hard Drive standby to NEVER
Set system Performance to MAXIMUM, not "quiet mode."

Open the bios set up and make sure "cool and quiet" is OFF.

Now open the hardware manager profiles...
click start
click computer
click system properties
click device manager
double click on mice and other pointing devices
right click on HID compliant mouse
left click on properties
click on the power management tab
UN-check the box that says: "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." (there is now NO check mark in this box)
click OK

Now repeat this procedure for all mice, keyboards, and ALL USB ports on the device manager list.

You must open ALL the devices one at a time, as above, and turn off the power saver, for each device.

The computer is turning off your mouse, keyboard, USB ports, to save power...
It's a bug in the OS set up.

freejon

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Thanks for this full and detailed response. I can see that it would solve my problem not to use power save facilities and maybe that is the way that I will have to go. But I don't want to because I don't like the wastage of leaving it fully on when not in use and I don't like having to shut down and restart because of the time taken to reload my various work items.

The thing is, power save used to work for me. So if anyone has any idea why it has changed its behaviour I would still like to know that before making up my mind.