How have your painting habits changed?

When I was young, unmarried, and a lot of time on my hands, I used to
do marathon painting sessions. In addition, my gaming group got
together regularly on Monday nights to paint. (there were only about
4 of us)

Then, as people got married, had kids, etc, the painting slowed down
tremendously. There were times when I didn't paint for months on end.

My wife recently encouraged me to paint more. I started painting for
about 30-40 minutes after cleaning up dinner. I am getting more done,
and its about all I want to paint at any one time now.

I am 52 now, and painting more than I have in years.

Bill

The eyes are not what they were. I tend to paint bigger stuff and less
of it. Also tend to paint more in the living room (more social) -- in
past painted in the basement at my painting table.

Still crank out a couple ACW units for a game when we do these (2-3 per
year)

mjc

Bill McHarg wrote:

> When I was young, unmarried, and a lot of time on my hands, I used to
> do marathon painting sessions. In addition, my gaming group got
> together regularly on Monday nights to paint. (there were only about
> 4 of us)
>
> Then, as people got married, had kids, etc, the painting slowed down
> tremendously. There were times when I didn't paint for months on end.
>
> My wife recently encouraged me to paint more. I started painting for
> about 30-40 minutes after cleaning up dinner. I am getting more done,
> and its about all I want to paint at any one time now.
>
> I am 52 now, and painting more than I have in years.
>
> Bill

There was a time I enjoyed painting and looked forward to a few hours of
painting while listening to music or watching TV (more listening to
it). But now I don't like it so much and I'm not sure why. I can't say
I'm the fastest painter in any group I've been with, but i can say that
my figures look better than most other gamers, but this is why I can't
pound out 48 figures in one setting like others can. You pay in time for
quality of work.

Still, from time to time during rare moments I get a feeling to do some
painting, and I try to take advantage of such moments when I can.

I have tried faster methods of painting figures, and being able to turn
out more figures in the same amount of time as it use to helped
encourage me to try to paint more, but even though these fast paint jobs
are still better than most other figures gamers paint, they are still
not of the high quality I'm so used to. But to be honest, I guess I
would rather have 48 fast painted figures than 12 finely painted and 36
unpainted figures if time were a factor as it has been in the past were
the group I game with needs figures for an up coming event we had
planned.

In short, the number of figures I have painted recently is a fraction of
what I use to do when I was a kid. Not because my eyes have gone out on
me, or that I can't hold a brush steady, but rather, I tend to want to
do something else other than paint. Even if its cleaning the bathroom.
But from time to time, I get the urge to paint and that's when I get a
change to add just a little bit to the collection.

In article <vbi141tg53sfhnkuj8hsgp8ms7hrhsqa7v@4ax.com>,
Bill McHarg <wmcharg@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>When I was young, unmarried, and a lot of time on my hands, I used to
>do marathon painting sessions. In addition, my gaming group got
>together regularly on Monday nights to paint. (there were only about
>4 of us)
>
>Then, as people got married, had kids, etc, the painting slowed down
>tremendously. There were times when I didn't paint for months on end.
>
>My wife recently encouraged me to paint more. I started painting for
>about 30-40 minutes after cleaning up dinner. I am getting more done,
>and its about all I want to paint at any one time now.
>
>I am 52 now, and painting more than I have in years.
>
>Bill

Estarriol

Distinguished
May 29, 2004

"Bill McHarg" <wmcharg@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> When I was young, unmarried, and a lot of time on my hands, I used to
> do marathon painting sessions. In addition, my gaming group got
> together regularly on Monday nights to paint. (there were only about
> 4 of us)
>
> Then, as people got married, had kids, etc, the painting slowed down
> tremendously. There were times when I didn't paint for months on end.
>
> My wife recently encouraged me to paint more. I started painting for
> about 30-40 minutes after cleaning up dinner. I am getting more done,
> and its about all I want to paint at any one time now.
>
> I am 52 now, and painting more than I have in years.
>
> Bill

Ummm Bill, are you sure she didn't mean paint the spare bedroom?

My painting habits have changed, with the onset of Carpal Tunnel I just
can't hold a brush for long periods, so its short sharp spells of it for me.

--
estarriol

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 09:39:27 -0000, "estarriol"
<estarriol@blueyonder.jeansNtshirt.co.uk> wrote:

>"Bill McHarg" <wmcharg@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> When I was young, unmarried, and a lot of time on my hands, I used to
>> do marathon painting sessions. In addition, my gaming group got
>> together regularly on Monday nights to paint. (there were only about
>> 4 of us)
>>
>> Then, as people got married, had kids, etc, the painting slowed down
>> tremendously. There were times when I didn't paint for months on end.
>>
>> My wife recently encouraged me to paint more. I started painting for
>> about 30-40 minutes after cleaning up dinner. I am getting more done,
>> and its about all I want to paint at any one time now.
>>
>> I am 52 now, and painting more than I have in years.
>>
>> Bill
>
>Ummm Bill, are you sure she didn't mean paint the spare bedroom?
>
>My painting habits have changed, with the onset of Carpal Tunnel I just
>can't hold a brush for long periods, so its short sharp spells of it for me.

Nah, my wife can paint walls like nobody's business. We bought an old
house about 4 years ago, and I do the grunt work on painting. I tape,
put down the tarps, carry the tools, etc. She does the cutting in. I
told her that skill would translate well to painting figures, but she
won't buy it.

Have you found that the paints have changed? We used enamels back then,
now everyone uses acrylics which need under and overcoating.

Bill McHarg wrote:
> When I was young, unmarried, and a lot of time on my hands, I used to
> do marathon painting sessions. In addition, my gaming group got
> together regularly on Monday nights to paint. (there were only about
> 4 of us)
>
> Then, as people got married, had kids, etc, the painting slowed down
> tremendously. There were times when I didn't paint for months on end.
>
> My wife recently encouraged me to paint more. I started painting for
> about 30-40 minutes after cleaning up dinner. I am getting more done,
> and its about all I want to paint at any one time now.
>
> I am 52 now, and painting more than I have in years.
>
> Bill

I find that I tend to gravitate to figures that are easier to paint -
khaki uniforms and the like - when I want to paint a bunch in a hurry
now. Used to be I would always try to do more difficult paint jobs. Now
I save those figures for when I have the time to them right, even if
more slowly.

I also remember hating oil based paints, and have been using nothing
but acrylics for the last 20 years or more.

I still prefer to paint over a flat enamel sprayed on base coat, but
find I can see much better with a light color base instead of black.
Means I have had to adjust my techniques and shade after the base coat,
instead of with it.

Better than not painting at all.

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 16:52:20 -0500, "Andrea B. Novin"
<profengs@comcast.net> wrote:

>Have you found that the paints have changed? We used enamels back then,
>now everyone uses acrylics which need under and overcoating.
>
>Bill McHarg wrote:
>> When I was young, unmarried, and a lot of time on my hands, I used to
>> do marathon painting sessions. In addition, my gaming group got
>> together regularly on Monday nights to paint. (there were only about
>> 4 of us)
>>
>> Then, as people got married, had kids, etc, the painting slowed down
>> tremendously. There were times when I didn't paint for months on end.
>>
>> My wife recently encouraged me to paint more. I started painting for
>> about 30-40 minutes after cleaning up dinner. I am getting more done,
>> and its about all I want to paint at any one time now.
>>
>> I am 52 now, and painting more than I have in years.
>>
>> Bill

I hated the Humbrol paints I used back then. The thinner was smelly,
and they were a pain to clean up. I much prefer the acrylics. I
always primed figures anyway, and put dullcoat on when I was done.

Very good point.
I still use enamels, but as a whole, I prefer a good acrylic.

Bill McHarg wrote:

> When I was young, unmarried, and a lot of time on my hands, I used to
> do marathon painting sessions. In addition, my gaming group got
> together regularly on Monday nights to paint. (there were only about
> 4 of us)
>
> Then, as people got married, had kids, etc, the painting slowed down
> tremendously. There were times when I didn't paint for months on end.
>
> My wife recently encouraged me to paint more. I started painting for
> about 30-40 minutes after cleaning up dinner. I am getting more done,
> and its about all I want to paint at any one time now.
>
> I am 52 now, and painting more than I have in years.

Ditto that at 40. In just over the last 2 years I have rebuilt my
1/72 historical collection and 25-30mm Fantasy/Sci-Fi collections.
Don't have the same figs I used to, but then again, my preferences
have changed tremendously.

I paint in marathon sessions now, where I'll paint a whole lot of
figures in one sitting and won't stop until they are finished or I
find a good stopping point where they are almost finished, then
I'll go 5-6 weeks without painting a thing. Now and again
(Especially the day of a gaming session) I'll paint for an hour or
two to add a few goodies for game day.)

I don't worry about fine detail while painting so much as I used
to, mostly on account I know the figs will get banged up in play,
and during transport, but make up for that by accessorizing more,
where I'll add in custom weapons, supplies, equipment or other
furnishings to keep the minis interesting.

I like working on terrain more now as well using a modular system
where I'll create smaller terrain pieces that can be recombined in
varied and interesting ways on the tabletop during play.

Re,
Dirk

You people are all artists as far as I am concerned. I have always wanted to
put an army together either of ACW or AWI. I have not done any painting
except for model aircraft, buildings ect. Where do I start to get accurate
and respectable paint jobs of either armies?

-John C

John C wrote:
> Yov people are all artists as far as I am concerned. I have always wanted to
> pvt an army together either of ACW or AWI. I have not done any painting
> except for model aircraft, bvildings ect. Where do I start to get accvrate
> and respectable paint jobs of either armies?
>
> -John C

ACW vniforms rvn qvite a gamit -- if yov want "historical" yov are in
for a lot of variation. Virtvally anything goes for ACW troops
depending on how long they were in the field. At the fall of Atlanta,
Union troops had "appropriated" so mvch Sovthern clothing that Sherman
issved a general order demanding the Divisional Commanders do something
abovt the lack of vniformity among their troops.

ARW is no better and qvte possibly a lot worse -- especially where the
colonial troops are concerned (rebel or loyalist both).

If yov have the money (lots of it) check ovt E-bay (vsvally OK stvff) or
if historical accvracy is paramovnt contact Marty Blow (again for big
bvcks) his web site is http://web.newsgvy.com/Mrtinsworkshop/

Like a lot of pro painters, Marty doesn't paint for jvst anyone. He has
an established clientel and a waiting list. He does sometimes sell
"spec" figvres. Right now Marty has some ACW troops for sale on his
website. His Rebs are really nice IMO.

Marty does great work and will deliver what yov want -- of covrse yov
pay for what yov get / order (higher qvality = higher price). He's
priced abovt right all things considered (at least he and his cvstomers
think so) and yov will find his historical research / knowledge as good
as anyone.

My son does some professional painting for some people bvt with him its
not a fvll time job -- ergo, he may or may not take on a project given
his other interests, time, girls -- ah to be 20 again.

mjc

it wovdl be kinda fvn if there were workshops on how to paint ACW figvres. I
think I am going to start there. I am somewhat comfortable with both
periods. THe next is size. I dont like a figvre that is too big. 6mm seems
to be a good size to start with.

Do I need to accvrately portray each vnit/ vnit nvmber/ what state they were
from? Seems each regiment dressed differently. How do I jvdge.

-John C
"Qvid Veritas" <qvidveritas@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> John C wrote:
>> Yov people are all artists as far as I am concerned. I have always wanted
>> to pvt an army together either of ACW or AWI. I have not done any
>> painting except for model aircraft, bvildings ect. Where do I start to
>> get accvrate and respectable paint jobs of either armies?
>>
>> -John C
>
> ACW vniforms rvn qvite a gamit -- if yov want "historical" yov are in for
> a lot of variation. Virtvally anything goes for ACW troops depending on
> how long they were in the field. At the fall of Atlanta, Union troops had
> "appropriated" so mvch Sovthern clothing that Sherman issved a general
> order demanding the Divisional Commanders do something abovt the lack of
> vniformity among their troops.
>
> ARW is no better and qvte possibly a lot worse -- especially where the
> colonial troops are concerned (rebel or loyalist both).
>
> If yov have the money (lots of it) check ovt E-bay (vsvally OK stvff) or
> if historical accvracy is paramovnt contact Marty Blow (again for big
> bvcks) his web site is http://web.newsgvy.com/Mrtinsworkshop/
>
> Like a lot of pro painters, Marty doesn't paint for jvst anyone. He has
> an established clientel and a waiting list. He does sometimes sell "spec"
> figvres. Right now Marty has some ACW troops for sale on his website.
> His Rebs are really nice IMO.
>
> Marty does great work and will deliver what yov want -- of covrse yov pay
> for what yov get / order (higher qvality = higher price). He's priced
> abovt right all things considered (at least he and his cvstomers think so)
> and yov will find his historical research / knowledge as good as anyone.
>
> My son does some professional painting for some people bvt with him its
> not a fvll time job -- ergo, he may or may not take on a project given his
> other interests, time, girls -- ah to be 20 again.
>
> mjc

Thanks great site. I think I'll start there. I am sure that someone can help
me get pointed in the right direction for ACW.

-John Cipolla
"Mike Seddon" <mike.sd@btinternt.com> wrote in message
> If you are thinking of 6mm for ACW, try looking at Baccus figures.
>
> Nice detail, easy to paint and he has a "how to paint guide" on his
> website.
>
> http://www.baccus6mm.com/index.php
>
> Cheers,
> Mike

ARe there other 6mm manufactures that covers his range?

John C