clean install of XP Pro w/out formatting hard drive

Before replacing my motherboard
1. I have Service Pack 2 installed

After replacing my motherboard...
1. I repaired my OS (Windows XP Pro) using the original XP disk (no
SP2)
2. But I can't connect to the Internet, and Office 2003 failed to run
so I borrowed my friends Win XP "WITH" Service Pack 2 (because I lost
SP2 disk)
3. I upgraded to SP2 but then I realized that it was not the final
version, it's a beta version! So things aren't running well.
4. I found my SP2 disk and tried to install it. But Windows says that I
have to uninstall the previous version of SP2 in my system.
5. The problem is that it is not listed in the Add/Remove program so I
head to the Windows Help online and found out that I have to install
the original XP CD.
6. When I reinstall the original CD, problems arise. Windows can't
complete the Setup.
7. I tried to delete the folders System32 and System under the Windows
directory. I knew there was a problem in 'updating' the system files.
8. I install the original XP CD but this time, I specified where to
install Windows. I chose "C:\WIN"
9. Installation was a success but when I logged on (after creating new
user accounts), my old files were not recognized as "My Documents" but
it is still on the "Documents and Settings" folder.
Also, the programs installed are not recognized yet it is still on the
Program Files folder.

How can Windows recognize those documents and programs? Do I have to
reinstall ALL OF THEM?

Pls. help...

tiamy wrote:

> Before replacing my motherboard
> 1. I have Service Pack 2 installed
>
> After replacing my motherboard...
> 1. I repaired my OS (Windows XP Pro) using the original XP disk (no
> SP2)
> 2. But I can't connect to the Internet, and Office 2003 failed to run
> so I borrowed my friends Win XP "WITH" Service Pack 2 (because I lost
> SP2 disk)
> 3. I upgraded to SP2 but then I realized that it was not the final
> version, it's a beta version! So things aren't running well.
> 4. I found my SP2 disk and tried to install it. But Windows says that I
> have to uninstall the previous version of SP2 in my system.
> 5. The problem is that it is not listed in the Add/Remove program so I
> head to the Windows Help online and found out that I have to install
> the original XP CD.
> 6. When I reinstall the original CD, problems arise. Windows can't
> complete the Setup.
> 7. I tried to delete the folders System32 and System under the Windows
> directory. I knew there was a problem in 'updating' the system files.
> 8. I install the original XP CD but this time, I specified where to
> install Windows. I chose "C:\WIN"
> 9. Installation was a success but when I logged on (after creating new
> user accounts), my old files were not recognized as "My Documents" but
> it is still on the "Documents and Settings" folder.
> Also, the programs installed are not recognized yet it is still on the
> Program Files folder.
>
> How can Windows recognize those documents and programs? Do I have to
> reinstall ALL OF THEM?
>
> Pls. help...

Try a repair install with your original XP CD:

Then install SP2.

Steve