Why would hard disk installation effect my sound?

coroloro

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
To the helpful folks here on the THW forums,

I just installed a new western digital 200 gb EIDE hard disk with 8 MD cache (WD2000JBRTL). I have Windows XP, and my master hard disk is an 80 GB western digital HD as well. Everything went smoothly, I installed it into windows fine.

However...

After the installation, when I attempted to run a game, I realised something that to me is quite awful- my sound no longer works. At first I thought "Okay, must be a wierd hardware error". I use on-board sound now, so I turned it off and replaced with with my Sound Blaster Audigy 2. Same problem, so I realised that either it was some software issue or my Hard Disk is doing something wierd.

What could cause this problem? The WD software? Some drain on the power supply- but if so, wouldn't that effect my whole system? Any ideas as to how to fix this issue?

Sincerely,
Patrick

PS- My Sound Blaster, and onboard audio, both worked FINE prior to my hard disk installation.

coroloro

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
Before you respond, I wanted to share an update- I tried one last thing I forgot, which was to check my device manager. I realised that I had turned off my SB Aud2 previously to fix a previous problem before just taking the card out. I enabled it, and the sound works! This still does not explain why my onboard sound stopped working after the hard disk install... but for now, I am happy. But, if the problem that caused me to take the SB out in the first place happens, I may still need your help.

-Patrick