Sign in with
Your question

Which size would be right for me ?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
June 20, 2008 6:24:39 PM

Hi all,
I am interested in purchasing a monitor for my computer, but would like to get your opinions on screens. I am considering anything from 22" to 30", but I need to know if there are screens that can provide a ghosting-free / lag free experience above 22". So far I have not been able to get a straight or convinving answer from the stores I went to.
Also, is it worth using a PC monitor for gaming consoles & what would be the limitations (aside from the connectors) ?
Any comments, recommendations,... would be greatly appreciated.

loic

More about : size

June 20, 2008 7:46:29 PM

ldaneels said:
Hi all,
I am interested in purchasing a monitor for my computer, but would like to get your opinions on screens.
loic

1) Are you gaming?
2) what kind of graphix card(s) do you have?
3) budget?
June 21, 2008 7:40:08 AM

I am buying this monitor to play games (PC games mostly, but console games would be a nice plus) & watch movies. I would very much like to avoid buying a TV if at all possible.

Right now I have a 8800 GT & I will probably end up buying a Radeon 4850 or 4870 in the next couple of months.

As for the budget, I can go up to 800 if it can be used as a TV (to play console games), otherwise up to 600 for a PC monitor only. That being said, I more interested in getting a good value for the money than spending precisely this amount (I do not believe in paying top dollar for something that is only marginally better).

Thanks again for the help,

Loic
Related resources
June 22, 2008 3:02:23 PM

Any comments or suggestions ?
June 25, 2008 5:18:18 PM

I have a 24" Iiyama ProLite B2403WS (won a 24" face-off Tom's did last Christmas) and I love it. No ghosting, very clear display, and has a VGA and HDMI input, some speakers, and came with a HDMI -> DVI cable for hooking it to my PC.

With a max res of 1920x1200 it runs my Xbox 360 at 1080p setting almost perfectly (it's slightly stretched vertically but it's hardly noticible).

I also find the size is great for pc gaming, it's not too big that you have to move your head around too much, and it's big enough so that people far away in CSS are still noticible... as are their heads ;) 

You'd have to get a TV-In card for your PC to use it for watching TV though... but if you're just looking to run consoles on it you can use the VGA port for an Xbox, or the HDMI one for a ps3 (with a vga cable + vga -> dvi adapater you'd get seperately)

That's my recommendation anyway :) 
!