Selectively deleting cookies

July 20, 2005 1:02:59 PM

I'm always reluctant to override a feature in WindowsXP by going
"underneath" an option. In this case I'm talking about the Delete
Cookies button in IE/Tools/Internet Options. Suppose I want to delete
only certain ones using, say, a command window. Can this cause
operating system problems in XP itself? I don't care about any settings
lost in browsing the Internet.
July 20, 2005 1:25:00 PM

Thanks for the reply. What you suggested is exactly what I want to do,
but I just wanted to know if this could cause any problems in WindowsXP
or IE.

Alias wrote:
> "Sal" wrote
>
> > I'm always reluctant to override a feature in WindowsXP by going
> > "underneath" an option. In this case I'm talking about the Delete
> > Cookies button in IE/Tools/Internet Options. Suppose I want to delete
> > only certain ones using, say, a command window. Can this cause
> > operating system problems in XP itself? I don't care about any settings
> > lost in browsing the Internet.
>
> Why don't you just go to the cookies folder and delete the ones you want to
> delete? If you don't know where the cookies folder is, use XP find and
> search for "cookies". For the future, you could make a direct access icon on
> your desktop for the cookies folder.
>
> --
> Alias
>
> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 4:29:08 PM

Sal wrote:
> I'm always reluctant to override a feature in WindowsXP by going
> "underneath" an option. In this case I'm talking about the Delete
> Cookies button in IE/Tools/Internet Options. Suppose I want to delete
> only certain ones using, say, a command window. Can this cause
> operating system problems in XP itself? I don't care about any settings
> lost in browsing the Internet.

No, this will not cause any problems with XP itself.
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

July 20, 2005 4:45:00 PM

In news:1121875378.953511.118570@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com,
Sal <here@softcom.net> had this to say:

> I'm always reluctant to override a feature in WindowsXP by going
> "underneath" an option. In this case I'm talking about the Delete
> Cookies button in IE/Tools/Internet Options. Suppose I want to delete
> only certain ones using, say, a command window. Can this cause
> operating system problems in XP itself? I don't care about any
> settings lost in browsing the Internet.

As you've been told, no problems with it. I do it all the time. Here's a
handy tool to do it with too:

Karen's Cookie Viewer:
http://www.karenware.com/powertools/ptcookie.asp

Galen

without them."

Sherlock Holmes
July 20, 2005 10:13:16 PM

"Sal" wrote

> I'm always reluctant to override a feature in WindowsXP by going
> "underneath" an option. In this case I'm talking about the Delete
> Cookies button in IE/Tools/Internet Options. Suppose I want to delete
> only certain ones using, say, a command window. Can this cause
> operating system problems in XP itself? I don't care about any settings
> lost in browsing the Internet.

Why don't you just go to the cookies folder and delete the ones you want to
delete? If you don't know where the cookies folder is, use XP find and
search for "cookies". For the future, you could make a direct access icon on
your desktop for the cookies folder.

--
Alias

July 20, 2005 10:13:17 PM

Instead of occasionally sorting them out, why not take a little more
direct control over them. You can modify (override) IE's default
handling of cookies. IE segments cookies to two categories, a 1st
party cookie and 3rd-party ones. (Originating site or unrelated site).
You can set IE to Allow or Block either category globally. Or use
a prompt to allow you to individually assign cookie placement. By
using prompting, you can Allow,Block and additionally, set "Always"
or "Never". Using the A/N over time you can update your P3P
tables in the Registry and teach IE what to do with specific cookies.
Setup via IE, Tools, Internet Options, Privacy, Advanced. Toggle
the setting "Override Default Cookie Handling" and then set 1st &
3rd party handling to your preference.

!