Sign in with
Your question

Advice for a computer building novice

Last response: in Tom's Guide
April 26, 2012 9:56:06 PM

Hi I'm planning on purchasing a new computer since all I currently have is a laptop and it won't run Diablo III. After reading up on it I found that assembling your own pc is a much better alternative than a prebuilt one and am now asking for advice from people with experience on what components I should buy and how much I should expect it to cost.
CPU:
What are some of my best options? I have been researching the intel i5 and i7 processors and I am not sure if the extra price on the i7 is worth it. Or should I go AMD?

Video Card:
What are some good video cards suitable for running current games (such as bf3 d3 etc) on high-max settings?

Motherboard:
I am most unsure of what I need in a motherboard. What are some things I should look for when choosing a good motherboard?

Harddrive:
I'll probably just get a cheap 1TB HDD. Also SSD's look pretty cool yet pretty expensive and I'm not sure if theyre worth the price.

Sound Card/Case/Monitor/RAM etc
Anything else I should look out for?

I am willing to spend around $1000 on this computer ( more if neccessary) and I'm hoping it will be able to last a while.

Thanks in advance for your time and expertise.
April 27, 2012 7:04:37 PM

It really depends on how much money you want to spend on this build.
I think the hardest part of building a computer is determining what components that you want! The actual putting together of the pieces is pretty easy.

Right now I think the i5 is the best bang for your buck. With the hard drive make sure it has a fast read/write speed or it may take a little longer to get things on and off. Sound card: if you are hard up for money, you could always use the onboard sound, but I recommend a SoundBlaster audio card. Ram: you want at least 4gigs of ram and 16 would be best.
There is to much debate out there over the best video card for me to decide. Right now I am using an ATI Radeon 4850HD Sapphire. I am able to run all the latest games on highest resolution with only a slightly lowered FPS. I am going to have to replace it within the next year or so.
Sorry that I can't be anymore specific as you need to say the amount of money you want to spend before deciding on parts.
May 1, 2012 9:07:28 PM

Check in the system builder section here, there are also articles about doing gaming builds in different price ranges on toms as well.
!