Power and 4-pin connectors

bon

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2005
When you start adding lots of components in your computer, you need to add more and more 4-pin connections. For example; 2 DVD players, Card reader, fan monitor, 2 SLI boards and the express connection, etc. - all require a 4-pin power connection.

I guess my question is how many 4 pin connectors can I or should I connect to one line? I have quite a few branches 4 pins connecting to other 4 pins in order to connect all my components. Is there a rule-of-thumb to go by?

HW Specs
Asus A8N-SLI DX
AMD-64 FX-53
1 Gig DR400(Dual)
Asus Star Ice (CPU Cooler)
OCZ PowerStream 520PSU
2 Nvidia 6800GT SLI
Lian Li PC-V2000B MOD w blowhole

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
That would depend on the devices connected to the line. You could probably get away with putting your optical drives, card reader, and fan monitor on one line. I wouldn't put more than 3-4 hard drives on a single line. Video cards should each have a separate line.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

bon

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2005
You are probably right. I am going to take all my power cables out tonight and add one devise at a time and do a power boot test. This will probably take some time but it is the most safe root to go. YES - I have my power hungry graphic boards 9 pins connected to other stuff. Before my power issue, I think both were dedicated as you mentioned. I just hope I did not screw up my motherboard.

Trying to make things pretty inside the rid compared to making things work is a completely different story!

HW Specs
Asus A8N-SLI DX
AMD-64 FX-53
1 Gig DR400(Dual)
OCZ PowerStream 520PSU
2 Nvidia 6800GT SLI

bon

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2005
**ADDED***
I just found and orded a split power-express cable!

1 x PCI Express Wye Cable (For SLI Applications) - Sleeved (PCIEXPRESS-WYE)

This wonderful cable provides 2 PCI Express connectors in one cable for both my Graphic Cards. As you may find out, still most PSU only come with ONE PCI express power connector. The only way to connect the 2nd one (until now) was to connect to a molex dedicated cable from the PS. If you are like me which adds alot of devices to the rig, you need this as much direct molext connectors you can get.
Can not wait to try this out!

Also search and found a quad-molex connector power cable to link 5 devices in one cable connection! :D

Problem solved!

HW Specs
Asus A8N-SLI DX
AMD-64 FX-53
1 Gig DR400(Dual)
OCZ PowerStream 520PSU
2 Nvidia 6800GT SLI

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
keep in mind future pci-e cards are going to require up to 150watts (as per intel and nvidia)
most psu`s only put out 75wats via the pci-e
so keep 4 molex free if you intend to use sli in the future
that way you can convert these into 2 pci-e power connectors you`ll also need a 5th one for the asus ez-plug

are you going to bark all day little doggie?
or are you going to bite?

bon

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2005
Well, the cables came and I am having NO PROBLEMS! :D
I have 2 molex free in case. I seperated my molex cables from my PowerSupply. I have a 6 daisy chain molex that directly connects to the PS. I use this to connect my fans, and 5inch bay fan monitor, and the pretty lights inside my rig. I have another seperate daisy chain molex for my 2 DVD drives and card reader. And lastly, I have my Express Cable for my 2 Graphic cards.

HW Specs
Asus A8N-SLI DX
AMD-64 FX-53
1 Gig DR400(Dual)
OCZ PowerStream 520PSU
2 Nvidia 6800GT SLI