OCing i875 Asus P4C-800 Deluxe, help!

trancenation

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004
Hi, i'm building myself a new computer soon. I bought the Asus P4C800 Deluxe MB. My questions are: Should I get Northwood or Prescott. I was leaning toward Northwood, cause Presc. has some heat dissipation problems, right? Anyway would the 1MB cache on the prescott make me benefit. The other thing I wanted to ask, what memory should I buy, PC4400 or just plain PC3200? I intend to overclock a bit, not too much. By the way I got the Zalman 7700 Cu CPU Fan.
help me out people, thanks for your attention, godspeed.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well if you've got to have an 875 board I would sure go Northwood and PC4000 on the memory. Crucial Ballistix PC3200 might get you the best of both worlds when coupled with a 3.0C or a 3.2C. Some of the last 3.4C's are showing up too. That would be a good deal at the right price. I would NOT buy a socket 478 Prescott.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

trancenation

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004
First of all, I'd like to thank you all for your help...
I'm gonna be using the computer for Graphic Designing and 3D Modeling/Rendering. Games? Not really.
Should I go with a TCCD memory or the plain ones? Yeah I was thinking about Crucial, but also G.Skill. Don't know which one. Thanks again! peace.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
The first thing you need to do is go to the Motherboards website and look for the Memory Compatibility chart for your MOBO. I think they call it the QVL. Makesure that not only is the manufacture of the RAM that your considering on there but also the specific model. I really like Crucial myself.

<font color=red>Now that I have given up hope, I feel alot better</font color=red>

trancenation

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004
Asus QVL says I can use these brands: Transcend, Kingston, Winbond, Infineon, Samsung, Micron, Hynix, Corsair and TwinMos.
Well I have a lot to choose from. I can get G.Skill or Crucial Ballistix then. I am looking for a 1Gb x 2 DualChannel Kit

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
For graphic design, editing and especially RENDERING.. you do not want perfromance modules. You do not want to overclock the memory at all. Your concern is for reliability and stability. PC-3200 CL3 MAJOR ORIGINAL BRAND.

For this reason you want to buy the following:
Samsung, Micron or Infineon. ORIGINAL modules.

You can use as much as 2GB.

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
You might even want to consider ECC memory modules.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I didnt notice until i read Brents remarks what you were doing with the computer. I dont know if I would Overclock either for your purposes. Why dont you tell us in a little more detail what you intend for this system. Is this going to be your income provider?

By your last sentence did you mean that the 2 choices that you have out of all the ones that you listed are G. Skill and Crucial? Also check out this article about populating RAM modules and see if it applies to you.<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=1839" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=1839</A>

<font color=red>Now that I have given up hope, I feel alot better</font color=red>

BrentUnitedMem

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2004
For rendering it is not a good choice to go above DDR-400 (PC-3200). No major chip supplier officially supports anything above DDR-400, because of reliability and reasons concerning yield. Try to find anything about TCCD (DDR-500) chips from Samsungs website: www.samsung.com

You want reliable memory, not fast memory =)

trancenation

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004
Hi there guys, I would like to thank you all again for your help.
The computer i'm building will be used for 2D and 3D graphic creation. I might once in a while run a game or two. But the comp is intended for quality and precision work outcome.
What I meant to say about the memory modules, is that from the QVL list from Asus, I would pick those two brands I named.
I do a lot of multi-tasking. Work with Photoshop, Freehand, Lightwave Modeler and Layout, (sometimes Dreamweaver and Flash), open at the same time, plus a few extra Firefox windows open. Would be more than 2 GB of RAM be unuseful in this case?
Thanks for the article from Anandtech, read it and found it useful to clear up some doubts i had.
Thanks again!! Cheers!

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
You should check out that link that I left in one of my earlier replies. I think that it would apply to your situation. From what I understand, the only time that you should use more than 2GB of RAM is only if the software requires that much in order to operate. There is something about Windows not being able to deal with more than 2GB efficently. I think that after you hit somewhere around the 2GB line windows will actually begin to slow down.

trancenation

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004
Could that be cause of the virtual memory it creates?... would it be different if i'd disable the virtual memory?
Anyways, thanks for the tip. I guess 2 GB of RAM is more than enough huh. :p

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Not sure what the reason is. Maybe Brent or the Crucial guy will browse through. 2 Gb of Ram should be fine. Keep in mind that you need to pay close attention to that QVL it also tells you if you should use single or double sided RAM.