Any New Palm Models Soon?

September 28, 2004 9:18:20 PM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I want to by a new Palm(Maybe T3) but I am sure they will be replacing this
with a new model.
I would like to buy a late model that will last at least 1-2 years!
Any word on new models coming out in the next 2-4 weeks?

Thanks,

Jack Barrett
RSG Roll Call: http://rec-sport-golf.com?rc=jack
Web Site: http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

More about : palm models

Anonymous
September 29, 2004 1:24:07 AM

Jack Barrett wrote:
> I want to by a new Palm(Maybe T3) but I am sure they will be replacing this
> with a new model.
> I would like to buy a late model that will last at least 1-2 years!
> Any word on new models coming out in the next 2-4 weeks?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack Barrett
> RSG Roll Call: http://rec-sport-golf.com?rc=jack
> Web Site: http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

Four threads above this one (in my newsreader...), rumours about a
coming T5 are being discussed.
Anonymous
September 29, 2004 1:24:08 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:24:07 +0200, fm <postmaster@127.0.0.1> uttered
something that went like this:

<Jack Barrett wrote:
<> I want to by a new Palm(Maybe T3) but I am sure they will be
replacing this
<> with a new model.
<> I would like to buy a late model that will last at least 1-2 years!
<> Any word on new models coming out in the next 2-4 weeks?

Palm's new T5 and possibly a new Zire are supposed to be available
with in a few weeks. That does not mean you will find one that quick.
They have not officially released the specs, but from what I have read
so far tends to favor the new T5 with a slider, both bluetooth and
wifi. I've heard that there will be a significant increase in onboard
memory and additional battery life. The memory I heard was 256.

It may run the new OS Cobalt. It has improved battery management that
is suppose to really squeeze extra time between recharge. I'm not for
sure if this feature manages clock speed or not, but I imagine it
does. If so, clock managers like lightspeed maybe a thing of the past.
Here is a link to one article I read.

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7076

Be well,

HoP

The preceding message represents personal opinions
and/or advice that may be of absolutely no use to
the reader.

------- Words have no Warranty ------
------- No View without Merit ------
September 29, 2004 8:12:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

I have a T3 and I am not even thinking of replacing it at least for a few
years.
It has been a workhorse and hasn't let me down.
I have owned it for about 6 mos. now.
Great PDA.

"Jack Barrett" <jack4450@frontiernet.net> wrote in message
> I want to by a new Palm(Maybe T3) but I am sure they will be replacing
this
> with a new model.
> I would like to buy a late model that will last at least 1-2 years!
> Any word on new models coming out in the next 2-4 weeks?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jack Barrett
> RSG Roll Call: http://rec-sport-golf.com?rc=jack
> Web Site: http://windsurf_2.tripod.com

Anonymous
September 30, 2004 2:12:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

And after a Google search, I found this

(NB The page is translated from Italian) :-)

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=htt...

Mmmm. I wonder??

"HoPpeR© trading at 1492¥" <GAHoPpeR@Yep.gov> wrote in message
> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:24:07 +0200, fm <postmaster@127.0.0.1> uttered
> something that went like this:
>
> <Jack Barrett wrote:
> <> I want to by a new Palm(Maybe T3) but I am sure they will be
> replacing this
> <> with a new model.
> <> I would like to buy a late model that will last at least 1-2 years!
> <> Any word on new models coming out in the next 2-4 weeks?
>
> Palm's new T5 and possibly a new Zire are supposed to be available
> with in a few weeks. That does not mean you will find one that quick.
> They have not officially released the specs, but from what I have read
> so far tends to favor the new T5 with a slider, both bluetooth and
> wifi. I've heard that there will be a significant increase in onboard
> memory and additional battery life. The memory I heard was 256.
>
> It may run the new OS Cobalt. It has improved battery management that
> is suppose to really squeeze extra time between recharge. I'm not for
> sure if this feature manages clock speed or not, but I imagine it
> does. If so, clock managers like lightspeed maybe a thing of the past.
> Here is a link to one article I read.
>
> http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=7076
>
> Be well,
>
> HoP
>
> The preceding message represents personal opinions
> and/or advice that may be of absolutely no use to
> the reader.
>
> ------- Words have no Warranty ------
> ------- No View without Merit ------
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 12:27:17 PM

"Kevin I Chapple" <kevinx@NOTTHISBITearthling.net> wrote:
>http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=it&u=htt...

That seems to say it's got BT, WiFi, and UC, but it's mostly a re-hash
of everyone elses guesses, so who knows for sure? Oh well, when it
comes out we'll know for sure, and then the T3 price will drop, so
I'll decide then.
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 8:31:06 PM

William P.N. Smith wrote:
> That seems to say it's got BT, WiFi, and UC, but it's mostly a re-hash
> of everyone elses guesses, so who knows for sure? Oh well, when it
> comes out we'll know for sure, and then the T3 price will drop, so
> I'll decide then.

Of course Palm makes the Treo line also and there seems to be more
reliable info that a Treo 650 is on the way. But info on the OS 95 vs 6)
doesn't seem as clear...

Of course CNET is saying new Treo and Tungsten about to come out:
http://news.com.com/Updated+Tungste...ubj=news.1041.5

FWIW, jim b
Anonymous
October 4, 2004 9:42:52 PM

Jim Bash <jbash@uic.edu> wrote:
>Of course CNET is saying new Treo and Tungsten about to come out:
> http://news.com.com/Updated+Tungste...ubj=news.1041.5

Uh, while .com.com is interesting, I've gotta say the ellipsis is
probably unique in URLs I've seen lately...
Anonymous
October 6, 2004 9:15:17 PM

William P.N. Smith wrote:

>>Of course CNET is saying new Treo and Tungsten about to come out:
>> http://news.com.com/Updated+Tungste...ubj=news.1041.5
>

> Uh, while .com.com is interesting, I've gotta say the ellipsis is
> probably unique in URLs I've seen lately...

Sorry, thought I cut/ and then pasted this URL from Fri 10/1 CNET news:

http://news.com.com/Updated+Tungsten%2C+Treo+set+for+re...

Don't know what I did and so much for proofreading :-)

jim b
October 8, 2004 3:28:17 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

What is the Garnet OS mentioned in the article???

--
---
(remove x before emailing)

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 23:28:17 GMT, dennis <denny536x@mac.com> uttered
something that went like this:

<What is the Garnet OS mentioned in the article???
Garnet is the code name palm uses for OS V5.21, the most current OS in
release right now. PalmOS 6.0 or Cobalt is still just a promise. BTW
Cobalt is a major rewrite of the OS. It takes advantage of the newer
chipsets available now. Wish I had it to try.

Be well,

HoP

The preceding message represents personal opinions
and/or advice that may be of absolutely no use to
the reader.

------- Words have no Warranty ------
------- No View without Merit ------
Anonymous
October 8, 2004 1:00:46 PM

dennis wrote:

> What is the Garnet OS mentioned in the article???

Garnet == PalmOS 5.0
Cobalt == PalmOS 6.0

Bastian

--
We are Micro$oft. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.
October 8, 2004 1:00:47 PM

On Fri, 08 Oct 2004 09:00:46 +0200, Bastian Friedrich
<usenet-sep-04@bastian-friedrich.de> jumped in and said:

>dennis wrote:
>
>> What is the Garnet OS mentioned in the article???
>
>Garnet == PalmOS 5.0
>Cobalt == PalmOS 6.0
>
> Bastian

From http://www.palmsource.com/developer/newsletter/20040301...
"OS Garnet (previously known as Palm OS 5.4) and Palm OS Cobalt
(previously known as Palm OS 6)."

--
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
Anonymous

dennis wrote:

> What is the Garnet OS mentioned in the article???

Garnet is new name of the operating system runs the machine. Its more
common name would be PalmOS 5.4. Palmsource has released versions 6 and 6.1
of the PalmOS (Cobalt) with the idea that Cobalt would be the OS for
expensive high end handhelds while Garnet would be used on cheaper, low end
models. But no PalmOS licensee has built a handheld with that OS yet. So
for the time being all new handhelds will be running "Garnet."
--
Wonderfalls unaired episode quote of the day:

"This fondou is meaningless. It mocks everyone at this table!"
? Jaye in "Muffin Buffalo"

Roberto Castillo
robertocastillo@ameritech.net
October 9, 2004 3:12:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <1097218823.ZI39DAhs40qHg9J0eJvc9Q@teranews>, HoPpeR©
trading at 1492¥ <GAHoPpeR@Yep.gov> wrote:

> On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 23:28:17 GMT, dennis <denny536x@mac.com> uttered
> something that went like this:
>
> <What is the Garnet OS mentioned in the article???
> Garnet is the code name palm uses for OS V5.21, the most current OS in
> release right now. PalmOS 6.0 or Cobalt is still just a promise. BTW
> Cobalt is a major rewrite of the OS. It takes advantage of the newer
> chipsets available now. Wish I had it to try.
>
> Be well,
>
> HoP
>
> The preceding message represents personal opinions
> and/or advice that may be of absolutely no use to
> the reader.
>
> ------- Words have no Warranty ------
> ------- No View without Merit ------

Why in the world would introduce a new product like the Treo 650, and
use what will probably be by then an old OS???

--
---
(remove x before emailing)
"your worst day at the ballpark,
is better then your best day at work!!"
Anonymous
October 9, 2004 3:55:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

In article <081020041612294912%denny536x@mac.com>, dennis
<denny536x@mac.com> wrote:

> Why in the world would introduce a new product like the Treo 650, and
> use what will probably be by then an old OS???

Because hardware and OS development cycles don't always coincide.

Because Palm OS Cobalt is still too big for smartphones.

Because Cobalt is so different from Garnet that a new hardware design was
necessary but PalmOne wanted to take advantage of economies from the work
already done on the Treo 600.

All possible reasons. There are probably more. Take your pick.
Anonymous
October 11, 2004 9:19:32 PM

Zombie Elvis wrote:

> Garnet is new name of the operating system runs the machine. Its more
> common name would be PalmOS 5.4. Palmsource has released versions 6 and 6.1
> of the PalmOS (Cobalt) with the idea that Cobalt would be the OS for
> expensive high end handhelds while Garnet would be used on cheaper, low end
> models. But no PalmOS licensee has built a handheld with that OS yet. So
> for the time being all new handhelds will be running "Garnet."

Its my understanding that Palm 6 (now Cobalt) was to be a true
multitasking OS--that it would run multiple apps at once and do away
with all the 'hacks'. Is this correct?
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 6:13:17 PM

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 17:19:32 -0500, Jim Bash wrote:

> Its my understanding that Palm 6 (now Cobalt) was to be a true
> multitasking OS--that it would run multiple apps at once and do away
> with all the 'hacks'. Is this correct?

ALL versions of PalmOS are multitasking...

The reason you don't see that functionality exposed, is because
the KADAK kernel that Palm licensed years ago, restricts them to only
expose one thread to the OS itself.

If they ponied up for a larger license, you could have a proper
multitasking PalmOS version today. The kernel + license is what blocks it,
not a technical limitation on the OS capabilities itself.
!