Please help me!!! (Freaky virus?)

puddlegoo

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
I think I got some kind of virus/malware/rootkit/whateverthey'recallingitthesedays.

This all started when I attached my phone to my computer to upload some pictures I took of my niece. Almost instantly my additional (not boot-up) hard drive stopped being recognized by my computer. I rebooted to see if it was some sort of glitch.

It wasn't.

My system (which is loaded on an SSD, and is very fast) suddenly booted up very slowly. I had no internet connection, even though I am POSITIVE that my internet connection is working. I disconnected the extra (non-recognized) hard drive to see if it was the problem.

It worked a little bit. The system booted up as quickly as it did before, but, again, no internet access. Or so I thought.

Every program I have tested has no internet connection. Except for Internet Explorer. Firefox and Chrome don't work. I tried uninstalling Firefox completely and reinstalling it, but it didn't help. I have AVG Fee and Malwarebytes, but both of these won't update when I try to update them (they've been disconnected from the internet as well).

Can anyone help me figure out what the hell is wrong with my computer? Again, my fear is that I caught a BAD bug.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
Doesn't sound like a virus, sounds like a bad driver for the phone. Did any software for the phone install when you connected it?
If so, remove it in control panel > programs and features.
FYI, its nearly impossible to get virus's from pictures, in fact I haven't heard of any. =P

puddlegoo

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

It is a Samsung Galaxy 3S (or S3... can never remember). Yes, I am on my computer right now.

I also downloaded Dropbox onto my computer (which is related to my phone) and then uninstalled it.

puddlegoo

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

The bizarre thing is that I am currently on the computer in question. I can connect with IE8, but nothing else. None of my programs work (browsers, antivirus, etc.) except this one.

puddlegoo

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

I checked in control panel. I know something was downloaded when I plugged the phone in, but I can't see anything in my installed programs that looks like it's from my phone.

mastrom101

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010

S3.

Hmm, that's weird. Could it be possible that the virus was on your android phone and was transferred to your PC?

If internet explorer works, then you do have internet.

Here's my checklist:

Did your first hard drive fail?
Did you shut off your computer properly? Or was it manually unplugged?

Also tell us:
In the bottom right corner, does the internet plug icon show that it is plugged in or not plugged in?
What computer do you have?

time comes when you can run a scan shut down system restore.

go into msconfig and shut stuff down ( programs ) that's not needed or unrecognized. this will be under start up and under services. you can scroll to the bottom of services and select the box. that will filter out microsoft programs.

puddlegoo

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

Internet definitely works. First hard drive (SSD) still working. I'm not completely sure that the other hard drive "failed." I just know that it stopped being recognized as a hard drive.

I shut my computer off properly.

Internet (and network) show that they are plugged in. As I stated, I am using Internet Explorer right now, and I am able to connect to the internet. None of my other programs are able to do this, however.

Computer... it's a home build. I have an i5 2500K, an Asrock Z77 Extreme4, and a Radeon HD 7870 for a video card.

mastrom101

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010

Could it be that the hard drive failed and some of these programs are loaded on it? I'm not too sure to be honest with the info you gave me so far. Do the programs still work offline?

puddlegoo

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

It's very puzzling. I was hoping someone might have had something just as strange happen to them.

All of the programs I am trying to run are loaded on the working hard drive. The "extra" hard drive is for storage purposes only, for the most part. Everything seems to load properly and work properly, minus the fact that each program (other than Internet Explorer) cannot connect to the internet.

so, any time a device is plugged into a pc if "auto play" is enabled it will attempt to in stall a driver for plug and play devices. to the pc, it is an external storage device. it can harbor viruses or in this case a worm but it is unlikely. i would just system restore the machine to before when you plugged in the phone.

how to run system restore
click start and type rstrui.exe
click next > select the correct date (this may show you what was installed on the day you think the problem started Example 9/23/2012 11:00 13 pm windows update would be the date and time a windows update was installed and a restore point created)
it will then show you the hard drive that is able to restore follow the promts and you will have restored your pc to the way it was before the driver install

dudeer

Honorable
Mar 28, 2013
This ain't an answer but I freak out about this sound on my computer that I get nightmares from it. Wait, I got an answer! Reset the whole intier thing and put all the software back.

Joshua Pettitt

Honorable
Sep 21, 2013