How to disable Windows Firewall service in XP SP2

Does anyone know how to disable the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection
Sharing service in Windows XP SP2 in the registry? I know how to manually
disable the service under Computer Management -->Services, but I would like
to see if I can add/modify a registry key to do the trick. Any ideas would
be appreciated. Thanks!

Amanda George wrote:
> Does anyone know how to disable the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection
> Sharing service in Windows XP SP2 in the registry? I know how to manually
> disable the service under Computer Management -->Services, but I would like
> to see if I can add/modify a registry key to do the trick. Any ideas would
> be appreciated. Thanks!

Services are stored in the registry at
HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services. The Firewall/Internet
connection service is called SharedAccess. Set the Start value there to
4 to disable the service. Note that changing that won't stop the
service. To stop the service open a command prompt window and enter the
following command:

net stop SharedAccess
--
Tom Porterfield
MS-MVP Windows

Amanda George wrote:

> Does anyone know how to disable the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection
> Sharing service in Windows XP SP2 in the registry? I know how to manually
> disable the service under Computer Management -->Services, but I would like
> to see if I can add/modify a registry key to do the trick. Any ideas would
> be appreciated. Thanks!
Hi,

The VBScript below sets those two registry values that will disable
the WinXP SP2 firewall.

Put the VBScript below in a .vbs file and run it by double-clicking
on it.

Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

oShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall" _
& "\DomainProfile\EnableFirewall", 1, "REG_DWORD"

oShell.RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsFirewall" _
& "\StandardProfile\EnableFirewall", 1, "REG_DWORD"

MsgBox "Done, please reboot computer", vbSystemModal+vbInformation

the 1328 page Scripting Guide: