Fpd1930 monitor flashes on then off, then stays off till I turn it off then on a

robras

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
gateway fpd1930 monitor flashes on then off, then stays off till I turn it off then on again. Then it just flashes on for another 1/2 second, then goes black again. Is the monitor fixable?

Zipppy

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I'm getting a similar problem with an old NEC MultiSync LCD1500M (from 2002). Hitting it on a certain part of the back side (right by the power cable entry) worked for a while for me, but sometimes the flickering sounds like an old CRT TV. I'm guessing either a loose cable on the inside, a short-circuit, or too much dust is in the monitor, causing issues. I have a dual screen monitor setup.

I have tried blasting compressed air (the one in cans) in the power cable and video cable ends, and it doesn't really work.

I have also tried vacuuming it. not much luck.

robras

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009

Seriously though, if the desktop is visible for a brief second, there must be something minor. The cables are tight, the light stays ON even when the screen goes black.

I am not sure if I need to buy a rubber hammer or a gas powered leaf blower to fix my problem. I am not Fonzie, so I can't just give it a love tap.

If the tech community can't see a fix to this, I'll just opt for a sledge hammer.

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

G

This may be similar to the problem I had with a couple of Viewsonic 17's.

Turned out to be a faulty capacitor in the power supply -- discovered the solution by Googling the model number. As advised the rogue capacitor was visibly bulging on one monitor. On the other the capacitor looked okay but when it was replaced the monitor worked normally.

Cost about $1 per monitor.

robras

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
This may be similar to the problem I had with a couple of Viewsonic 17's.

Turned out to be a faulty capacitor in the power supply -- discovered the solution by Googling the model number. As advised the rogue capacitor was visibly bulging on one monitor. On the other the capacitor looked okay but when it was replaced the monitor worked normally.

Cost about $1 per monitor.

Thanks so much for the info, I will check that out!!