Reactivation on changing graphics card? Normal?

a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2005 2:56:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I changed the graphics card on one of my systems recently and I was asked to
re-activate Windows XP Pro within 3 days! I changed from a GeForce 3 Ti200
64MB to a Geforce FX 5200 128MB unit.

Also, some software like Adobe Premiere Pro 1.51 and Microsoft Plus! Digital
Media Edition asked for re-activation. And, an installation of Adobe Go-Live
"Try-Out" said the trail has expired! It still had over a week to go before
the end of the 30-day trial period.

I do know about hardware changes vis-a-vis re-activation requirements but
this surprised me as I have changed additional hard drives (as well as the
system drive once), PCI Ultra IDE adapters, USB2 PCI adapter...... and the
re-activation requirement never came up before.

This is not an issue - as all items were re-activated without any problems,
and I uninstalled the Go-Live trial version anyway - preferred to stick with
MS FrontPage.

Just an observation of an event I did not quite expect. I was just wondering
if this is "normal".

Janus
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2005 4:01:17 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Janus;
Activation can be normal depending partly on the time frame involved with
other hardware changes:
http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

"Janus" <janus@no.spam> wrote in message
>I changed the graphics card on one of my systems recently and I was asked
>to re-activate Windows XP Pro within 3 days! I changed from a GeForce 3
>Ti200 64MB to a Geforce FX 5200 128MB unit.
>
> Also, some software like Adobe Premiere Pro 1.51 and Microsoft Plus!
> Digital Media Edition asked for re-activation. And, an installation of
> Adobe Go-Live "Try-Out" said the trail has expired! It still had over a
> week to go before the end of the 30-day trial period.
>
> I do know about hardware changes vis-a-vis re-activation requirements but
> this surprised me as I have changed additional hard drives (as well as the
> system drive once), PCI Ultra IDE adapters, USB2 PCI adapter...... and the
> re-activation requirement never came up before.
>
> This is not an issue - as all items were re-activated without any
> problems, and I uninstalled the Go-Live trial version anyway - preferred
> to stick with MS FrontPage.
>
> Just an observation of an event I did not quite expect. I was just
> wondering if this is "normal".
>
> Janus
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2005 4:01:18 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

news:o ov%23QUVjFHA.2472@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Janus;
> Activation can be normal depending partly on the time frame involved with
> other hardware changes:
> http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org

Hi Jupiter Jones,

Thanks very much for that informative link! I saved the page for future
reference.

Janus
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2005 6:10:36 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

This happened to my XP, twice last year. If the allowed changes count
happens to count down during the upgrade, re-activate. Im my case, it was
just a driver update.

"Janus" <janus@no.spam> wrote in message
>I changed the graphics card on one of my systems recently and I was asked
>to re-activate Windows XP Pro within 3 days! I changed from a GeForce 3
>Ti200 64MB to a Geforce FX 5200 128MB unit.
>
> Also, some software like Adobe Premiere Pro 1.51 and Microsoft Plus!
> Digital Media Edition asked for re-activation. And, an installation of
> Adobe Go-Live "Try-Out" said the trail has expired! It still had over a
> week to go before the end of the 30-day trial period.
>
> I do know about hardware changes vis-a-vis re-activation requirements but
> this surprised me as I have changed additional hard drives (as well as the
> system drive once), PCI Ultra IDE adapters, USB2 PCI adapter...... and the
> re-activation requirement never came up before.
>
> This is not an issue - as all items were re-activated without any
> problems, and I uninstalled the Go-Live trial version anyway - preferred
> to stick with MS FrontPage.
>
> Just an observation of an event I did not quite expect. I was just
> wondering if this is "normal".
>
> Janus

Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 20, 2005 7:37:23 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:10:36 -0400, "Yves Leclerc"
<yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote:

>This happened to my XP, twice last year. If the allowed changes count
>happens to count down during the upgrade, re-activate. Im my case, it was
>just a driver update.

I am surprised A driver update should not done that.

Greg RO
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 21, 2005 6:23:51 PM

Janus wrote:

> I changed the graphics card on one of my systems recently and I was asked to
> re-activate Windows XP Pro within 3 days! I changed from a GeForce 3 Ti200
> 64MB to a Geforce FX 5200 128MB unit.
>
> Also, some software like Adobe Premiere Pro 1.51 and Microsoft Plus! Digital
> Media Edition asked for re-activation. And, an installation of Adobe Go-Live
> "Try-Out" said the trail has expired! It still had over a week to go before
> the end of the 30-day trial period.
>
> I do know about hardware changes vis-a-vis re-activation requirements but
> this surprised me as I have changed additional hard drives (as well as the
> system drive once), PCI Ultra IDE adapters, USB2 PCI adapter...... and the
> re-activation requirement never came up before.
>
> This is not an issue - as all items were re-activated without any problems,
> and I uninstalled the Go-Live trial version anyway - preferred to stick with
> MS FrontPage.
>
> Just an observation of an event I did not quite expect. I was just wondering
> if this is "normal".
>
> Janus

Hardware changes are cumulative concerning activation. The graphics card
change pushed it over the limit.

Steve
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2005 4:56:04 PM

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:56:23 -0700, "Janus" <janus@no.spam> wrote:

>I changed the graphics card on one of my systems recently and I was asked to
>re-activate Windows XP Pro within 3 days! I changed from a GeForce 3 Ti200
>64MB to a Geforce FX 5200 128MB unit.

Yep, that costs a "life".

>Also, some software like Adobe Premiere Pro 1.51 and Microsoft Plus! Digital
>Media Edition asked for re-activation. And, an installation of Adobe Go-Live
>"Try-Out" said the trail has expired! It still had over a week to go before
>the end of the 30-day trial period.

Did you change your system date? The last one sounds odd, otherwise.

>I do know about hardware changes vis-a-vis re-activation requirements but
>this surprised me as I have changed additional hard drives (as well as the
>system drive once),

2 lives lost (HD S/N, volume S/N)

>PCI Ultra IDE adapters, USB2 PCI adapter...... and the
>re-activation requirement never came up before.

Another 1-2 lives lost... so the SVGA pushed it over the edge.

There's no UI to tell yiou how few "lives" you have left, so an
activation crisis can kick in at any time. Use Licenturion's XPInfo
tool to keep watch over how fast you are dying.

>This is not an issue - as all items were re-activated without any problems

Lucky you.

>Just an observation of an event I did not quite expect. I was just wondering
>if this is "normal".

It is... now.

>--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
Never turn your back on an installer program
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2005 5:00:34 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:37:23 -0500, Greg Ro
>On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:10:36 -0400, "Yves Leclerc"
><yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote:

>>This happened to my XP, twice last year. If the allowed changes count
>>happens to count down during the upgrade, re-activate. Im my case, it was
>>just a driver update.

>I am surprised A driver update should not done that.

Anything that changes the component ID, as tracked by PnP etc., can do
this. That includes any sort of device firmware update, as is
sometimes stealthed in as part of a "driver" update.

I've caught this in the following contexts:
- CD writer firmware updates
- Intel intregrated graphics "drivers"
- changing a LAN card's NVRAM settings to force UTP cable use

So, don't be surprised; in an age when "we'll patch it later" extends
to firmware within "hardware" devices, you can expect to see this.

If MS were serious about the "only hardware changes" thing, they
wouldn't use CPU ID (which can be toggled in CMOS setup) or hard drive
volume serial number (which changes if the volume is formatted).

>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
The most accurate diagnostic instrument
in medicine is the Retrospectoscope
>------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
July 26, 2005 5:53:30 PM

Man... microsoft wants to keep their product from being stolen??? What
jerks! Kidding, I realize what PIA it is to have to reactivate after
making hardware changes.

-Matt

--
matt_fleming