Reactivation on changing graphics card? Normal?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I changed the graphics card on one of my systems recently and I was asked to
re-activate Windows XP Pro within 3 days! I changed from a GeForce 3 Ti200
64MB to a Geforce FX 5200 128MB unit.

Also, some software like Adobe Premiere Pro 1.51 and Microsoft Plus! Digital
Media Edition asked for re-activation. And, an installation of Adobe Go-Live
"Try-Out" said the trail has expired! It still had over a week to go before
the end of the 30-day trial period.

I do know about hardware changes vis-a-vis re-activation requirements but
this surprised me as I have changed additional hard drives (as well as the
system drive once), PCI Ultra IDE adapters, USB2 PCI adapter...... and the
re-activation requirement never came up before.

This is not an issue - as all items were re-activated without any problems,
and I uninstalled the Go-Live trial version anyway - preferred to stick with
MS FrontPage.

Just an observation of an event I did not quite expect. I was just wondering
if this is "normal".

Janus
8 answers Last reply
More about reactivation changing graphics card normal
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Janus;
    Activation can be normal depending partly on the time frame involved with
    other hardware changes:
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar

    "Janus" <janus@no.spam> wrote in message
    >I changed the graphics card on one of my systems recently and I was asked
    >to re-activate Windows XP Pro within 3 days! I changed from a GeForce 3
    >Ti200 64MB to a Geforce FX 5200 128MB unit.
    >
    > Also, some software like Adobe Premiere Pro 1.51 and Microsoft Plus!
    > Digital Media Edition asked for re-activation. And, an installation of
    > Adobe Go-Live "Try-Out" said the trail has expired! It still had over a
    > week to go before the end of the 30-day trial period.
    >
    > I do know about hardware changes vis-a-vis re-activation requirements but
    > this surprised me as I have changed additional hard drives (as well as the
    > system drive once), PCI Ultra IDE adapters, USB2 PCI adapter...... and the
    > re-activation requirement never came up before.
    >
    > This is not an issue - as all items were re-activated without any
    > problems, and I uninstalled the Go-Live trial version anyway - preferred
    > to stick with MS FrontPage.
    >
    > Just an observation of an event I did not quite expect. I was just
    > wondering if this is "normal".
    >
    > Janus
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    > Janus;
    > Activation can be normal depending partly on the time frame involved with
    > other hardware changes:
    > http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
    > http://www.dts-l.org

    Hi Jupiter Jones,

    Thanks very much for that informative link! I saved the page for future
    reference.

    Janus
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    This happened to my XP, twice last year. If the allowed changes count
    happens to count down during the upgrade, re-activate. Im my case, it was
    just a driver update.

    "Janus" <janus@no.spam> wrote in message
    >I changed the graphics card on one of my systems recently and I was asked
    >to re-activate Windows XP Pro within 3 days! I changed from a GeForce 3
    >Ti200 64MB to a Geforce FX 5200 128MB unit.
    >
    > Also, some software like Adobe Premiere Pro 1.51 and Microsoft Plus!
    > Digital Media Edition asked for re-activation. And, an installation of
    > Adobe Go-Live "Try-Out" said the trail has expired! It still had over a
    > week to go before the end of the 30-day trial period.
    >
    > I do know about hardware changes vis-a-vis re-activation requirements but
    > this surprised me as I have changed additional hard drives (as well as the
    > system drive once), PCI Ultra IDE adapters, USB2 PCI adapter...... and the
    > re-activation requirement never came up before.
    >
    > This is not an issue - as all items were re-activated without any
    > problems, and I uninstalled the Go-Live trial version anyway - preferred
    > to stick with MS FrontPage.
    >
    > Just an observation of an event I did not quite expect. I was just
    > wondering if this is "normal".
    >
    > Janus

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:10:36 -0400, "Yves Leclerc"
    <yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote:

    >This happened to my XP, twice last year. If the allowed changes count
    >happens to count down during the upgrade, re-activate. Im my case, it was
    >just a driver update.

    I am surprised A driver update should not done that.

    Greg RO

    Janus wrote:

    > I changed the graphics card on one of my systems recently and I was asked to
    > re-activate Windows XP Pro within 3 days! I changed from a GeForce 3 Ti200
    > 64MB to a Geforce FX 5200 128MB unit.
    >
    > Also, some software like Adobe Premiere Pro 1.51 and Microsoft Plus! Digital
    > Media Edition asked for re-activation. And, an installation of Adobe Go-Live
    > "Try-Out" said the trail has expired! It still had over a week to go before
    > the end of the 30-day trial period.
    >
    > I do know about hardware changes vis-a-vis re-activation requirements but
    > this surprised me as I have changed additional hard drives (as well as the
    > system drive once), PCI Ultra IDE adapters, USB2 PCI adapter...... and the
    > re-activation requirement never came up before.
    >
    > This is not an issue - as all items were re-activated without any problems,
    > and I uninstalled the Go-Live trial version anyway - preferred to stick with
    > MS FrontPage.
    >
    > Just an observation of an event I did not quite expect. I was just wondering
    > if this is "normal".
    >
    > Janus

    Hardware changes are cumulative concerning activation. The graphics card
    change pushed it over the limit.

    Steve
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:56:23 -0700, "Janus" <janus@no.spam> wrote:

    >I changed the graphics card on one of my systems recently and I was asked to
    >re-activate Windows XP Pro within 3 days! I changed from a GeForce 3 Ti200
    >64MB to a Geforce FX 5200 128MB unit.

    Yep, that costs a "life".

    >Also, some software like Adobe Premiere Pro 1.51 and Microsoft Plus! Digital
    >Media Edition asked for re-activation. And, an installation of Adobe Go-Live
    >"Try-Out" said the trail has expired! It still had over a week to go before
    >the end of the 30-day trial period.

    Did you change your system date? The last one sounds odd, otherwise.

    >I do know about hardware changes vis-a-vis re-activation requirements but
    >this surprised me as I have changed additional hard drives (as well as the
    >system drive once),

    2 lives lost (HD S/N, volume S/N)

    >PCI Ultra IDE adapters, USB2 PCI adapter...... and the
    >re-activation requirement never came up before.

    Another 1-2 lives lost... so the SVGA pushed it over the edge.

    There's no UI to tell yiou how few "lives" you have left, so an
    activation crisis can kick in at any time. Use Licenturion's XPInfo
    tool to keep watch over how fast you are dying.

    >This is not an issue - as all items were re-activated without any problems

    Lucky you.

    >Just an observation of an event I did not quite expect. I was just wondering
    >if this is "normal".

    It is... now.

    >--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
    Never turn your back on an installer program
    >--------------- ----- ---- --- -- - - -
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 15:37:23 -0500, Greg Ro
    >On Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:10:36 -0400, "Yves Leclerc"
    ><yleclercNOSPAM@maysys.com> wrote:

    >>This happened to my XP, twice last year. If the allowed changes count
    >>happens to count down during the upgrade, re-activate. Im my case, it was
    >>just a driver update.

    >I am surprised A driver update should not done that.

    Anything that changes the component ID, as tracked by PnP etc., can do
    this. That includes any sort of device firmware update, as is
    sometimes stealthed in as part of a "driver" update.

    I've caught this in the following contexts:
    - CD writer firmware updates
    - Intel intregrated graphics "drivers"
    - changing a LAN card's NVRAM settings to force UTP cable use

    So, don't be surprised; in an age when "we'll patch it later" extends
    to firmware within "hardware" devices, you can expect to see this.

    If MS were serious about the "only hardware changes" thing, they
    wouldn't use CPU ID (which can be toggled in CMOS setup) or hard drive
    volume serial number (which changes if the volume is formatted).

    >------------ ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
    The most accurate diagnostic instrument
    in medicine is the Retrospectoscope

    Man... microsoft wants to keep their product from being stolen??? What
    jerks! Kidding, I realize what PIA it is to have to reactivate after
    making hardware changes.

    -Matt

    --
    matt_fleming