Windows Update 9/22/2012

I updated my computer last night with this update [KB 2744842]. This morning I tried to open windows 7, but it gets stuck in the opening animation.

I went into safemode and try to do system restore, but all the restore points disappeared....

Finally, I tried "Advanced startup options" and chose Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)

With this i was finally be able to boot into Windows 7 64-bit, but now my internet would not work either Ethernet or wifi.

I have tried:

netsh winsock rest catalog

netsh int ip reset reset.log

Nothing works...

Please Advice

Update: I know for a fact that my wifi chipset, because i was able to connect to the internet through my dual-boot Windows 8 Beta....
8 answers Last reply
More about windows update 2012
  1. Hi. It sounds like malware or a virus. Use the guide of aford10 to check and repair http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/8263-47-simple-free-guide-removing-malware
  2. Hi :)

That update works fine... i have installed it on 5 machines so far with no problems...

All the best Brett :)
  3. As mibix19 and Brett said.

Get yourself a good imaging backup program (e.g. Acronis True Image or Ghost) together with a regular backup and malware/virus/etc scan schedules to help towards getting you out of trouble like this.
  4. Well I'll backup now and try to apply the update...(see if it happen as what happened in yours)

will post/update how it was...
  5. That one installed fine here -- the complaint I have is somewhere along the line MS changed it to where you can't download the updates and wait to install them - I have it set to download and let me decide when to install ( I like to do them all once a month to be able to backup and restore if problems crop up ) but now after 2 days they automaically install themselves on boot up which really pisses me off - First they make it so you have to Log off your account to shut down without installing them ( they remove the shut down option and replace it with Install update and shut down ) so that you have to log out in order to manually shut down without installing them -- and now they go and change things again so that even doing that and 2 days later they automatically install themselves -- Guess I have to shut the service down completely and download them all once a month instead of having them already downloaded for my monthly installs because MS thinks they know better than the end user on how to keep their system updated !!
  6. Update:

Fine here too, nothing strange or fail...

edit: I would try do basic trouble shooting, run virus/malware scan, run disk check (scandisk), update the driver........
  7. Kulsman said:
    I updated my computer last night with this update [KB 2744842]. This morning I tried to open windows 7, but it gets stuck in the opening animation.

I went into safemode and try to do system restore, but all the restore points disappeared....

Finally, I tried "Advanced startup options" and chose Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)

With this i was finally be able to boot into Windows 7 64-bit, but now my internet would not work either Ethernet or wifi.

I have tried:

netsh winsock rest catalog

netsh int ip reset reset.log

Nothing works...

Please Advice

Update: I know for a fact that my wifi chipset, because i was able to connect to the internet through my dual-boot Windows 8 Beta....

hmm, interesting, I also had a minor issue with this update, in that it (my pc) didn't shut down once the installaion was complete, it was stuck at 100%!! Took a chance, and just did a ccold start, and although, upon restart it tried to complete the installation, it failed. On next boot to windows, I installed it again, this time it worked without issues. Sorry for the ramble, but thought the info maybe usefull.
  8. I just ended up reinstalling windows 7.
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows 7 Windows Update