using alternate keys

July 20, 2005 3:11:02 PM

can anyone tell me how to use a font's alternate keys, such as the copyright
sign or trademark sign and such?

More about : alternate keys

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 4:52:53 PM

In news:530843C8-F9E3-4C01-ABB1-44328875282F@microsoft.com,
lb <lb@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> can anyone tell me how to use a font's alternate keys, such as
> the
> copyright sign or trademark sign and such?

There are a number of ways of getting such special characters. I
see that you've gotten several replies with good advice from
others, but I'll mention my favorite way to do this. I use a
little freeware background program called AllChars. This lets me,
in all applications, type many common special characters (many of
these are used in other languages) by pressing the ctrl key
followed by a two character mnemonic combination.

For example, for T the two characters are t and m. For ñ the two
characters are ~ and n. For ç it's c and , For ü it's u and "

Go to http://allchars.zwolnet.com/

Please reply to the newsgroup
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 6:37:10 PM

wow.
thank you all very much.
these are great.
thanks again.

lb
July 20, 2005 6:50:42 PM

Hi,

Hold the Alt key then using the number pad type the number associated with
the key.
For the copyright sign, hold Alt and then type in 0169 then let go of the
alt key and you'll get the copyright sign.

To find out the number for the key, go to Start -> All Programs ->
Accessories -> Character Map.
Then look around for the character you want then select it. Once you select
it, in the bottom right corner you'll see the Keystroke: Alt+0169 for the
copyright character.

Hope this helps!

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"lb" <lb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> can anyone tell me how to use a font's alternate keys, such as the
> copyright
> sign or trademark sign and such?
Anonymous
July 20, 2005 11:47:59 PM

If you want a copyright symobol © hold down the ALT key and type 0169
If you want a trademark sign T hold down the ALT key and type 0153
if you have Microsoft Word open up a document and then click on the Insert
option on the main toolbar. From the drop down menu click symbols. By
clicking on the symbol you want you can either copy it or, alternatively, if
you look at the bottom of the symbols window it will give you the
appropriate keyboard shortcut, as in ALT + 0169

--
John Barnett MVP
Associate Expert

"lb" <lb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> can anyone tell me how to use a font's alternate keys, such as the
> copyright
> sign or trademark sign and such?
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 8:56:24 AM

Entering International Characters
There is a number of ways of entering international characters and symbols.

a.. Use Character Map.
b.. Use Alt + <the character code entered on the numeric keypad>
c.. Use the US International Keyboard
a.. The Alt Gr Key
a.. Dead Keys
d.. Tips
[Back to Contents]

Entering International Characters - Character Map
Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Character Map and transfer via the clipboard.

Run Character Map

[Back to International Contents]

Alt + Character Code
Holding down alt and pressing the character code on the numeric keypad will enter that character. The keyboard language in use must support entering that character. If your keyboard supports it the code is shown on the right hand side of the status bar in Character Map else this section of the status bar is empty.

However there is two ways of entering codes. The point to remember here that the characters are the same for the first 127 codes. The difference is if the first number typed is a zero of not. If it is then the code will insert the character from the current character set else it will insert a character from the OEM character set.

E.G., Alt + 0 then 6 then 5 then release Alt enters the letter A

[Back to International Contents]

Entering International Characters - US International Keyboards
Install the US International keyboard. Start - Control Panel - Regional And Language Options - Languages - Details - Add. While here review the Key Settings to switch keyboards or turn on the Language Bar (Advanced Text Services must not be disabled).

This works in two modes. Right Alt or Shift + Right Alt + another key and also by pressing dead keys (such as accents). On non US Keyboards the Right Alt key is called Alt Gr.

Right Alt is the same key as Ctrl + Left Alt on the US International keyboards, and on almost all keyboards except the standard US keyboards where left and right keys are treated the same . This is a reason why Ctrl + Alt should not be used to set hotkeys. Also F12 should also not be used for hotkeys as it's reserved for attaching a debugger.

[Back to International Contents]

The Right Alt Keys
Key Description
Right Alt + 1 i
Right Alt + 2 ²
Right Alt + 3 ³
Right Alt + 4 ¤
Right Alt + 5 €
Right Alt + 6 1/4
Right Alt + 7 1/2
Right Alt + 8 3/4
Right Alt + 9 '
Right Alt + 0 '
Right Alt + - ¥
Right Alt + = ×
Right Alt + Q ä
Right Alt + W å
Right Alt + E é
Right Alt + R (r)
Right Alt + T þ
Right Alt + Y ü
Right Alt + U ú
Right Alt + I í
Right Alt + O ó
Right Alt + P ö
Right Alt + [ <<
Right Alt + ] >>
Right Alt + \ Not Sign
Right Alt + A á
Right Alt + S ß
Right Alt + D ð
Right Alt + L ø
Right Alt + ; Pilcrow Sign
Right Alt + ' ´
Right Alt + Z æ
Right Alt + C (c)
Right Alt + N ñ
Right Alt + M µ
Right Alt + , ç
Right Alt + / ¿
Shift + Right Alt + 1 ¹
Shift + Right Alt + 4 £
Shift + Right Alt + = ÷
Shift + Right Alt + Q Ä
Shift + Right Alt + W Ã…
Shift + Right Alt + E É
Shift + Right Alt + T Þ
Shift + Right Alt + Y Ü
Shift + Right Alt + U Ú
Shift + Right Alt + I Í
Shift + Right Alt + O Ó
Shift + Right Alt + P Ö
Shift + Right Alt + \ ¦
Shift + Right Alt + A Á
Shift + Right Alt + S §
Shift + Right Alt + D Ð
Shift + Right Alt + L Ø
Shift + Right Alt + ; °
Shift + Right Alt + ' ¨
Shift + Right Alt + Z Æ
Shift + Right Alt + C ¢
Shift + Right Alt + N Ñ
Shift + Right Alt + , Ç

[Back to International Contents]

The Dead Keys
The dead keys are the apostrophe ('), quotation mark ("), accent grave (`), tilde (~), and caret (^). If these are pressed the system waits for the next key. If it is in the list below then it enters the symbol character else it enters both keys seperately. These work with uppercase where appropiate.

Key Description
' then C Ç
' then e é
' then y ý