How much should I pay my friend? (Dim E510)

philologos

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
My friend gave me his Dell desktop to borrow, and says he'd let me buy it at a good discount. I've held onto the system for so long, I really ought to accept and compensate him. I need to come up with an offer that would benefit each of us.

Here is a descriptive list of the system components:

Dell Dimension E510
Pentium D940 Dual-core 3.2GHz
2Gb DDR2 Ram
PNY GeForce 8500GT 512Mb
Samsung 250Gb HDD
Hitachi 160Gb HDD
DVD Writer 16x

I have my own mouse, keyboard, and monitor. I might be giving him back one of the hard drives.

I appreciate any help because I hate bartering. Thanks!

rockyjohn

Distinguished
aford's price is a fair one - on could easily argue a litte more for the "retail price" or a little less for the "wholesale" price - especially minus the hassle of trying to sell it on eBay or Craigslist or such.

But I am curious. Your name identifies you as a philosophy and or logic buff. Why then do you feel ethically that "I've held onto the system for so long, I really ought to accept and compensate him." Perhaps instead you should charge him storage for leaving it there for so long. If you had no agreement otherwise, I see nothing wrong in returning it if you don't want to keep it. On the other hand, if you know it works well you get a nice little computer at an inexpensive price. But don't do it out of guilt or obligation.

I am sure Socrates could find some exception to the idea that you owe an obligation.
And Nietzsche might pale at surrenduring so easily.
Are you sure the computer exists?

philologos

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
He gave me the computer to use after I busted my laptop and had no resources to buy another computer. I planned on using it just until I could afford the components needed to build a desktop. Unfortunately, I've been out of a job for the majority of this year. I do have just about enough though to make him an offer for the Dell.

I probably emphasized "obligation" a bit too strongly, as if I really didn't want the thing. He said he would take it back, and even that he was in no hurry to do so. I just have an aversion to holding onto other people's things for very long. I felt I needed to explain the fact I was serious about purchasing the computer, in case people tried dissuading me. The Pentium D is not one of Intel's best chips, after all. However, I must say it is more capable than I had assumed. I've been running Windows 7 RC on it, and playing Oblivion with some settings lowered. All in all, I think we both benefit here.

We settled on two-hundred, and I might pay him as soon as tomorrow.

Yes, I was a philosophy major.

TRENDING THREADS