Hard Drive Recommendation

ugaman72

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
Hi guys..I have a quick question. I am building a new system, and need to make a decision on hard drives. I am mostly using it for video editing and recording. If I needed between 300-400GB of space, would it be better to buy 2 160's, or would it be a better option to get say a 40-80GB for the OS and a 300 to store the media? Thanks for your oppinions!!!

(2) 160's in a RAID0 for video editing.

More is better for video editing...

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I bet you were maxed out with 2 40's. Ive got 2x120GB Maxtors, no make that 3, and a 60GB Maxtor, 4X10GB Maxtors, A 30GB Western Digital, and 2X80GB Western digitals. Oh, almost forgot the 80GB external Iomega and the 120SATA. The only two that are not full are the 2X80GB Maxtors and that because I just bought them. FOR ANYONE LOOKING FOR A DEAL ON 80GB WESTERN DIGITAL 8MB CASHE 7200RPM HARD DRIVES Circuit City is running a good deal right now. They are $29.99 after the rebate. For those of you who BIATCH about rebates being no good, dont even go there this time. Circuit City always honors their rebates. Thanks and have a great day!

Sorry Wusy I turned into a Circuit City commercial for a minute :tongue: My point was that im surprised that you havent had to get more HD's before now.

<font color=red>Now that I have given up hope, I feel alot better</font color=red>

sjonnie

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2001
hdd0: OS drive; Western Digital WD740GD 10,000rpm 74GB
hdd1 + hdd2 RAID0: Data; Hitachi 7K250 160-250GB
hdd3: Scratch Space; Wester Digital WD360GD 10,000rpm 36GB or any other drive you have lying around.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
WTF, this is going to sound crazy, but I replied to your question but I dont know where it is. It was a rather lengthy reply so if anybody runs across a thread that is out of place please let me know.

<font color=red>Now that I have given up hope, I feel alot better</font color=red>

*ROFL*
"HELP! I've fallen and I can't get up!" Has turned into
"Help, i've lost my thread and can't find it!"

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I want to get a couple of SCSI HD's. For the operating system they would be the ultimate HD to have wouldnt they?

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Nice! If you do, keep me posted on the results. Im going to start thinking seriously about SCSI. Im putting all my extra energy into breaking 5Ghz. If I could get that out of the way I would be ready to start setting something up. BTW, im currently at 4.5Ghz :smile:

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Did you know that I was building an R22 setup? The tricky part is making the friggin heatsink :frown: I cant wait, then I will be cool :eek:

<b>Ned Flanders said that im a BAD ASS</b> :lol:

ugaman72

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2005
Hi Guys..Just thought I'd let you know what I picked as far as hard drives. I picked up a 36GB WD Raptor for the OS and most programs, and 2 Hitachi 160GB Drives for the data. Now, I've just gotta figure out how to install them!!

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Its actually the coolant/refridgerant that is used in the system. I may have quoted it wrong, I will check and see. I think that the old freon that is not legal to put in new systems anymore is a bit colder. These things are actually easy to build if you have the equipment. Im fortunate in that respect my grandfather raised me under the hood of a car. We have a family shop that we work on our cars in. I enjoy tinkering around with engines in my spare time. For the short term I think that I am going to use liquid nitrogen. Its cheap and plentiful. The one thing that is going to slow me down on the compression system is designing the heatsink. Ive got about 500 lbs of copper pipe, so its not like that will be a problem. Just got to get the damn mold made.

G

Dude, you continue to amaze me with these posts... awesome OCing, custom built hydrogen cooling systems, working on engines in your spare time. You're not married are you? If you can manage all that AND be married, you need to add "best selling author" to your resume.

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
The one im building will use the same type of refridgerant that you have in either your car or home AC unit. They are really not that hard to throw together as long as you have the ability to charge the system. My family has always fixed our on cars so I have the equipment. The compressor is no big deal either. You can find them in old refridgerators or even home AC units. we have a pile of them that have just stacked up in the corner. Now the part that may be downfall is making the heatsink. Ive got to get some better pics of exactly how they are designed.

The liquid nitrogen to my surprise is cheap. The most expensive item with it is the container that they put it in. Im hoping that my university will let me borrow one. Basically it will just come down to taking the Mobo out of the case taking the heatsinks off and setting it in a cooler of some sort. This stuff is dangerous if you get on you of course. Then your screwed so it carries a risk with it. Im a little nervous about it, but what the hell. Its not everyday that you get a chance to throw over $1000.00 worth of computer components into liquid nitrogen :tongue:

BTW, I think you said hydrogen.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
No, im not married. I have figured out that one of 2 things is true when it comes to women. (A) They are all crazy! (B) Something about me turns them into total pyscho raving lunatics! Either way it just doesnt seem to work out for me. My last relationship just about got the best of me, so for now its just me and Ozzy(Minature Schnazure).

I would think the piping would be an issue. How do you keep the lines from freezing and becoming brittle? How do you control condensation from freezing on the lines/cooling system, then melting and dripping onto the components?

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
The lines are all copper. The condensation can be the death of the board and CPU. I will find you a link so you can see how they do it. I think one thing they use is neopreme.

Sweet! Not that I'll ever get that extreme, but it's cool looking at what's done on the Bleeding Edge...You're now a Bleeding Edge BAD ASS (BEBA)!!

G

Lol you're right, I did say hydrogen. What can I say, my allergy medicine was in full effect at that point. Stay happy with ozz. Make sure to post some pics of that bay when you finish it :smile:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>

mrmonsoon

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2004
When you say store media-what do you mean? Are you doing video editing? Do you have music/games?

If you don't want to play with raid and multiple hd's consider a 3-400 gig drive with a 16 meg buffer-they can be very fast.

TRENDING THREADS