ICONS help please

July 20, 2005 6:59:25 PM

Suddently all of my icons have become the generic windows icons. I probably
have 30 of them on my desktop. I use XP professional. I cannot get them to
reappear as they originally were. Any help would be appreciated.

More about : icons

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 12:56:23 AM

Dick Foster rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> Suddently all of my icons have become the generic windows icons. I
> probably have 30 of them on my desktop. I use XP professional. I cannot
> get them to reappear as they originally were. Any help would be
> appreciated.

C:\Documents and Settings\%User name%\Local Settings\Application Data\ delete
IconCache.db then reboot. hth
Anonymous
July 21, 2005 10:48:52 AM

Download and install TweakUi,it has option to rebuild/repair icons.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...

regards,
ssg MS-MVP

Dick Foster wrote:
> Suddently all of my icons have become the generic windows icons. I probably
> have 30 of them on my desktop. I use XP professional. I cannot get them to
> reappear as they originally were. Any help would be appreciated.

Related resources
July 22, 2005 3:26:54 AM

Dick Foster wrote on Wed, 20 Jul 2005:

>Suddently all of my icons have become the generic windows icons. I probably
>have 30 of them on my desktop. I use XP professional. I cannot get them to
>reappear as they originally were. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Dick

Try this to force XP to re-read the icon cache:

Right-click on the desktop, choose Properties, Appearance tab, then
click on the Advanced button. In the drop-down list select Icon and
increase the Size setting by 1 (usually from 32 to 33). Click OK, then
Apply. The desktop will "fade" for a few seconds and then come back.

Now click on the Advanced button again, change the icon size back to
what it was, and OK your way out.

If this doesn't help, please post back.

--
Nightowl
Anonymous

I had the same problem as Dick...the colorful and unique icons on desktop
shortcuts were replaced by the big E internet explorer after several days on
the desktop. I thought maybe Big Brother didn't want the competition up
there (Google and Yahoo) but then my pretty Bank of America icon was
replaced, too. I tried Nightowl's fix but it didn't work. HELP

"Nightowl" wrote:

> Dick Foster wrote on Wed, 20 Jul 2005:
>
> >Suddently all of my icons have become the generic windows icons. I probably
> >have 30 of them on my desktop. I use XP professional. I cannot get them to
> >reappear as they originally were. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Hi Dick
>
> Try this to force XP to re-read the icon cache:
>
> Right-click on the desktop, choose Properties, Appearance tab, then
> click on the Advanced button. In the drop-down list select Icon and
> increase the Size setting by 1 (usually from 32 to 33). Click OK, then
> Apply. The desktop will "fade" for a few seconds and then come back.
>
> Now click on the Advanced button again, change the icon size back to
> what it was, and OK your way out.
>
> If this doesn't help, please post back.
>
> --
> Nightowl

September 14, 2005 12:41:10 AM

chats noir wrote:

> I had the same problem as Dick...the colorful and unique icons on desktop
> shortcuts were replaced by the big E internet explorer after several days on
> the desktop. I thought maybe Big Brother didn't want the competition up
> there (Google and Yahoo) but then my pretty Bank of America icon was
> replaced, too. I tried Nightowl's fix but it didn't work. HELP
>
> "Nightowl" wrote:
>

>>Dick Foster wrote on Wed, 20 Jul 2005:
>>

>>>Suddently all of my icons have become the generic windows icons. I probably
>>>have 30 of them on my desktop. I use XP professional. I cannot get them to
>>>reappear as they originally were. Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>>Hi Dick
>>
>>Try this to force XP to re-read the icon cache:
>>
>>Right-click on the desktop, choose Properties, Appearance tab, then
>>click on the Advanced button. In the drop-down list select Icon and
>>increase the Size setting by 1 (usually from 32 to 33). Click OK, then
>>Apply. The desktop will "fade" for a few seconds and then come back.
>>
>>Now click on the Advanced button again, change the icon size back to
>>what it was, and OK your way out.
>>
>>If this doesn't help, please post back.
>>
>>--
>>Nightowl

Those are favicons, temporary icons that are deleted when the temporary
internet files are removed. To save the favicons see this on Kelly's
site at http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
Line 108: FavOrg - Restore and Save Favorite Icons

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

If these are web sites the icon is only temporary.

"chats noir" <chatsnoir@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A394BE8-1C43-4F7D-9056-24CE683F3435@microsoft.com...
>I had the same problem as Dick...the colorful and unique icons on desktop
> shortcuts were replaced by the big E internet explorer after several days on
> the desktop. I thought maybe Big Brother didn't want the competition up
> there (Google and Yahoo) but then my pretty Bank of America icon was
> replaced, too. I tried Nightowl's fix but it didn't work. HELP
>
> "Nightowl" wrote:
>
>> Dick Foster wrote on Wed, 20 Jul 2005:
>>
>> >Suddently all of my icons have become the generic windows icons. I probably
>> >have 30 of them on my desktop. I use XP professional. I cannot get them to
>> >reappear as they originally were. Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Hi Dick
>>
>> Try this to force XP to re-read the icon cache:
>>
>> Right-click on the desktop, choose Properties, Appearance tab, then
>> click on the Advanced button. In the drop-down list select Icon and
>> increase the Size setting by 1 (usually from 32 to 33). Click OK, then
>> Apply. The desktop will "fade" for a few seconds and then come back.
>>
>> Now click on the Advanced button again, change the icon size back to
>> what it was, and OK your way out.
>>
>> If this doesn't help, please post back.
>>
>> --
>> Nightowl

Anonymous
September 20, 2005 2:40:12 PM

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 06:48:52 +0530, "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com>
wrote:

>Download and install TweakUi,it has option to rebuild/repair icons.
>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...
>
>regards,
>ssg MS-MVP
>
>Dick Foster wrote:
>> Suddently all of my icons have become the generic windows icons. I probably
>> have 30 of them on my desktop. I use XP professional. I cannot get them to
>> reappear as they originally were. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm also having a major problem with my icons lately. I'd had Nero
Ultra installed with Photo Suite, and my icons disappeared (they were
still in the Icon Folder that I keep them in, however, they were no
longer visable as the icon themselves.. they were showing nothing but
the icon for Nero's program). I uninstalled Nero totally, ran a reg
edit with Tweak Power Pack 2005 (which got rid of all associations of
Nero), deleted the iconcache.db and rebooted. *Now* I have all my
icons showing with the Paint program icons instead of showing what the
icons actually look like (sigh). How can I get them back to showing
what they truely look like in Windows Explorer/My Computer????
HELP!!
TIA
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 6:00:03 PM

still can't get what someone called "favicons" back for 3 desktop shortcuts.
the only ones that weren't replaced by the internet explorer E were the two
microsoft icons for the gaming zone.........hmmmmmmmmmmmmm......franksalot,
msn

!