ICONS help please

Suddently all of my icons have become the generic windows icons. I probably
have 30 of them on my desktop. I use XP professional. I cannot get them to
reappear as they originally were. Any help would be appreciated.
8 answers Last reply
More about icons please

    Dick Foster rambled on in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

    > Suddently all of my icons have become the generic windows icons. I
    > probably have 30 of them on my desktop. I use XP professional. I cannot
    > get them to reappear as they originally were. Any help would be
    > appreciated.

    C:\Documents and Settings\%User name%\Local Settings\Application Data\ delete
    IconCache.db then reboot. hth

    Download and install TweakUi,it has option to rebuild/repair icons.

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP

    Dick Foster wrote on Wed, 20 Jul 2005:

    >Suddently all of my icons have become the generic windows icons. I probably
    >have 30 of them on my desktop. I use XP professional. I cannot get them to
    >reappear as they originally were. Any help would be appreciated.

    Hi Dick

    Try this to force XP to re-read the icon cache:

    Right-click on the desktop, choose Properties, Appearance tab, then
    click on the Advanced button. In the drop-down list select Icon and
    increase the Size setting by 1 (usually from 32 to 33). Click OK, then
    Apply. The desktop will "fade" for a few seconds and then come back.

    Now click on the Advanced button again, change the icon size back to
    what it was, and OK your way out.

    If this doesn't help, please post back.

    --
    Nightowl

    I had the same problem as Dick...the colorful and unique icons on desktop
    shortcuts were replaced by the big E internet explorer after several days on
    the desktop. I thought maybe Big Brother didn't want the competition up
    there (Google and Yahoo) but then my pretty Bank of America icon was
    replaced, too. I tried Nightowl's fix but it didn't work. HELP

    chats noir wrote:

    > I had the same problem as Dick...the colorful and unique icons on desktop
    > shortcuts were replaced by the big E internet explorer after several days on
    > the desktop. I thought maybe Big Brother didn't want the competition up
    > there (Google and Yahoo) but then my pretty Bank of America icon was
    > replaced, too. I tried Nightowl's fix but it didn't work. HELP
    >
    > "Nightowl" wrote:
    >

    >>Dick Foster wrote on Wed, 20 Jul 2005:
    >>

    >>>Suddently all of my icons have become the generic windows icons. I probably
    >>>have 30 of them on my desktop. I use XP professional. I cannot get them to
    >>>reappear as they originally were. Any help would be appreciated.
    >>
    >>Hi Dick
    >>
    >>Try this to force XP to re-read the icon cache:
    >>
    >>Right-click on the desktop, choose Properties, Appearance tab, then
    >>click on the Advanced button. In the drop-down list select Icon and
    >>increase the Size setting by 1 (usually from 32 to 33). Click OK, then
    >>Apply. The desktop will "fade" for a few seconds and then come back.
    >>
    >>Now click on the Advanced button again, change the icon size back to
    >>what it was, and OK your way out.
    >>
    >>If this doesn't help, please post back.
    >>
    >>--
    >>Nightowl

    Those are favicons, temporary icons that are deleted when the temporary
    internet files are removed. To save the favicons see this on Kelly's
    site at http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
    Line 108: FavOrg - Restore and Save Favorite Icons

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    If these are web sites the icon is only temporary.

    On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 06:48:52 +0530, "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com>
    wrote:

    >Download and install TweakUi,it has option to rebuild/repair icons.
    >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
    >
    >regards,
    >ssg MS-MVP
    >
    >Dick Foster wrote:
    >> Suddently all of my icons have become the generic windows icons. I probably
    >> have 30 of them on my desktop. I use XP professional. I cannot get them to
    >> reappear as they originally were. Any help would be appreciated.

    I'm also having a major problem with my icons lately. I'd had Nero
    Ultra installed with Photo Suite, and my icons disappeared (they were
    still in the Icon Folder that I keep them in, however, they were no
    longer visable as the icon themselves.. they were showing nothing but
    the icon for Nero's program). I uninstalled Nero totally, ran a reg
    edit with Tweak Power Pack 2005 (which got rid of all associations of
    Nero), deleted the iconcache.db and rebooted. *Now* I have all my
    icons showing with the Paint program icons instead of showing what the
    icons actually look like (sigh). How can I get them back to showing
    what they truely look like in Windows Explorer/My Computer????
    HELP!!
    TIA

    still can't get what someone called "favicons" back for 3 desktop shortcuts.
    the only ones that weren't replaced by the internet explorer E were the two
    microsoft icons for the gaming zone.........hmmmmmmmmmmmmm......franksalot,
    msn

    "GuessWho" wrote:

    > On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 06:48:52 +0530, "S.Sengupta" <ssengupta_@msn.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Download and install TweakUi,it has option to rebuild/repair icons.
    > >http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/xppowertoys.mspx
    > >
    > >regards,
    > >ssg MS-MVP
    > >
    > >Dick Foster wrote:
    > >> Suddently all of my icons have become the generic windows icons. I probably
    > >> have 30 of them on my desktop. I use XP professional. I cannot get them to
    > >> reappear as they originally were. Any help would be appreciated.
    > >>

    > I'm also having a major problem with my icons lately. I'd had Nero
    > Ultra installed with Photo Suite, and my icons disappeared (they were
    > still in the Icon Folder that I keep them in, however, they were no
    > longer visable as the icon themselves.. they were showing nothing but
    > the icon for Nero's program). I uninstalled Nero totally, ran a reg
    > edit with Tweak Power Pack 2005 (which got rid of all associations of
    > Nero), deleted the iconcache.db and rebooted. *Now* I have all my
    > icons showing with the Paint program icons instead of showing what the
    > icons actually look like (sigh). How can I get them back to showing
    > what they truely look like in Windows Explorer/My Computer????
    > HELP!!
    > TIA

Icons Microsoft Windows XP