Hard drive makes occasionally clicking sounds + event viewer error

55th Mint

Honorable
Sep 11, 2012
Recently finished my first build and unfortunately it is already giving me some problems.

My current problem is that it occasionally gives off a clicking noise, I am assuming that the problem is the HDD because there is nothing else that's moving in the computer (besdies the BD-ROM, but it doesn't count). I look onto the event viewer and every time this happens it shows an error in the log files.

Level: Error
Event ID: 7026
Source: System Control Manager
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
VirtDiskBus

Can somebody please give me some advice, should I get a refund or is this just a mere software issue?

Check for computer infections

AGTDenton

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
I cant stress this enough, first thing to do is: Backup, Backup, Backup!

Once you have backed up, you could start with a good old check disk command: chkdsk
This will inform you if a full check disk is required. and the command for that would be chkdsk /F /R press Y when prompted
Once a full check is completed after a reboot you will need check there are no bad sectors.

What brand of disk do you have as a manufactures diagnostic utility will better determine if it is a hardware failure and will provide more detail than Windows Check Disk.

G

1>Back up at the earliest!
2>Download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool
3>Run a "short DST"
a>If it fails, get the error code and call up the HDD manufacturer to RMA the HDD.
b>If it passes, go to the next step.
4>Run a long/extended DST.
a>If it fails, get the error code and call up the HDD manufacturer to RMA the HDD.
b>If it passes, go to next step.
5>Download and install a SMART diagnostic software like HD Sentinel or Acronis Drive monitor, post here the SMART values reported by this tool you downloaded.

[edited to fix typo]