Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Chkdsk at startup not solving hard disk problem

Tags:
  • Chkdsk
  • Hard Drives
  • Microsoft
  • Windows XP
July 21, 2005 4:41:40 AM

Even after scheduling `Chkdsk C: /f /r /v' to run in the system startup, the
'errors in the Volume bit map' comes back. The Startup Chkdsk clears the
error but after booting something creates the error again. I am using Norton
Disk Doctor for the Disk checking.

My System 1Mhz, 256mb Ram,WindowsXP Pro SP2, ZoneAlarm Free version
5.5.094.000, Perfect Disk Defragmenter version 7 etc. Even without running
the PD defragmenter to re-arrange files error appears. Any solution to clear
this error?
Thanks for any help & replies.

Brother Brock
--
Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare.
Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare.

More about : chkdsk startup solving hard disk problem

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 4:41:41 AM

It could be an idea to download, from the manufacturer of your harddisk (
maxtor or western digital for example ), the diagnostic utility to check the
harddisk. These utilities sometimes allow you to repair aswell or do a low
level format.
Keep in mind though to backup essential data before executing any task from
within those utilities.
The quicker you do the test, the better ( meaning if harddisk has
non-repairable errors you maybe still could use warranty ).

Maxtor's utility needs to be booted up from cd or floppy , assume that
applies to other utilities aswell...

greets Johan

"Brother Brock" <Nobodyknows@unknown.com> wrote in message
> Even after scheduling `Chkdsk C: /f /r /v' to run in the system startup,
> the
> 'errors in the Volume bit map' comes back. The Startup Chkdsk clears the
> error but after booting something creates the error again. I am using
> Norton
> Disk Doctor for the Disk checking.
>
> My System 1Mhz, 256mb Ram,WindowsXP Pro SP2, ZoneAlarm Free version
> 5.5.094.000, Perfect Disk Defragmenter version 7 etc. Even without running
> the PD defragmenter to re-arrange files error appears. Any solution to
> clear
> this error?
> Thanks for any help & replies.
>
> Brother Brock
> --
> Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare.
> Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare.

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 4:41:41 AM

Possible Solution: Boot off your Windows XP CD-ROM, enter Recovery Console,
at Command, execute the following command.

chkdsk /p
exit

See if that helped.
July 21, 2005 6:22:02 PM

Brother Brock wrote:

> Even after scheduling `Chkdsk C: /f /r /v' to run in the system startup, the
> 'errors in the Volume bit map' comes back. The Startup Chkdsk clears the
> error but after booting something creates the error again. I am using Norton
> Disk Doctor for the Disk checking.
>
> My System 1Mhz, 256mb Ram,WindowsXP Pro SP2, ZoneAlarm Free version
> 5.5.094.000, Perfect Disk Defragmenter version 7 etc. Even without running
> the PD defragmenter to re-arrange files error appears. Any solution to clear
> this error?
> Thanks for any help & replies.
>
> Brother Brock

Do CHKDSK /F twice without using NDD between. If there are no errors
reported by CHKDSK the 2nd time then the problem is with NDD.

Steve
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 2:29:06 AM

Thanks. Good sujjession. Gonna try that.

Brother Brock
July 22, 2005 2:29:07 AM

NDD (as of 2003) is just a GUI shell for the chkdsk command, and not a
very good one; if often mis-parses the chkdsk messages and reports an
error that is not real (especially in the security descriptors section it
seems). So, don't trust it.