Chkdsk at startup not solving hard disk problem

Even after scheduling `Chkdsk C: /f /r /v' to run in the system startup, the
'errors in the Volume bit map' comes back. The Startup Chkdsk clears the
error but after booting something creates the error again. I am using Norton
Disk Doctor for the Disk checking.

My System 1Mhz, 256mb Ram,WindowsXP Pro SP2, ZoneAlarm Free version
5.5.094.000, Perfect Disk Defragmenter version 7 etc. Even without running
the PD defragmenter to re-arrange files error appears. Any solution to clear
this error?
Thanks for any help & replies.

Brother Brock
--
Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare.
Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare.

    It could be an idea to download, from the manufacturer of your harddisk (
    maxtor or western digital for example ), the diagnostic utility to check the
    harddisk. These utilities sometimes allow you to repair aswell or do a low
    level format.
    Keep in mind though to backup essential data before executing any task from
    within those utilities.
    The quicker you do the test, the better ( meaning if harddisk has
    non-repairable errors you maybe still could use warranty ).

    Maxtor's utility needs to be booted up from cd or floppy , assume that
    applies to other utilities aswell...

    greets Johan

    "Brother Brock" <Nobodyknows@unknown.com> wrote in message
    > Even after scheduling `Chkdsk C: /f /r /v' to run in the system startup,
    > the
    > 'errors in the Volume bit map' comes back. The Startup Chkdsk clears the
    > error but after booting something creates the error again. I am using
    > Norton
    > Disk Doctor for the Disk checking.
    >
    > My System 1Mhz, 256mb Ram,WindowsXP Pro SP2, ZoneAlarm Free version
    > 5.5.094.000, Perfect Disk Defragmenter version 7 etc. Even without running
    > the PD defragmenter to re-arrange files error appears. Any solution to
    > clear
    > this error?
    > Thanks for any help & replies.
    >
    > Brother Brock
    > --
    > Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare.
    > Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare.

    Possible Solution: Boot off your Windows XP CD-ROM, enter Recovery Console,
    at Command, execute the following command.

    chkdsk /p
    exit

    See if that helped.

    Brother Brock wrote:

    > Even after scheduling `Chkdsk C: /f /r /v' to run in the system startup, the
    > 'errors in the Volume bit map' comes back. The Startup Chkdsk clears the
    > error but after booting something creates the error again. I am using Norton
    > Disk Doctor for the Disk checking.
    >
    > My System 1Mhz, 256mb Ram,WindowsXP Pro SP2, ZoneAlarm Free version
    > 5.5.094.000, Perfect Disk Defragmenter version 7 etc. Even without running
    > the PD defragmenter to re-arrange files error appears. Any solution to clear
    > this error?
    > Thanks for any help & replies.
    >
    > Brother Brock

    Do CHKDSK /F twice without using NDD between. If there are no errors
    reported by CHKDSK the 2nd time then the problem is with NDD.

    Steve

    Thanks. Good sujjession. Gonna try that.

    Brother Brock

    NDD (as of 2003) is just a GUI shell for the chkdsk command, and not a
    very good one; if often mis-parses the chkdsk messages and reports an
    error that is not real (especially in the security descriptors section it
    seems). So, don't trust it.

Chkdsk Hard Drives Microsoft Windows XP