raptor vs a regular wd hdd

arnold873

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2005
i`m interested in building a new system and i`m stuck between getting a single raptor 74 or a 7200 8mb 200+ gb
drive. Is the speed of the raptor that much greater than a normal HDD, am i going to really notice it and be impressed?
I currently only use around 35-40 gb of HDD space so the raptor seemed like a logical solution but i`m worried with larger games coming out i would need a larger HDD down the road. so should i get
1 raptor hdd 74 and down the road get another raptor or should i just get one big ass drive now?

people are strange and when your a stranger faces seem ugly when your alone.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
No its closer to 15 MB/s faster average transfer rate!

I am getting 65.1 MB/s.

Another think that is really great is that its minimum read rate is over 50 MB/s faster than a most drives average read rate.

If you can afford it get the Raptor.

Codesmith

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2003
The 74 GB model is about 17 MB/s faster average transfer rate than the 36 GB, with random access times of 7.8 and 8.8 respecrively accourding to HD Tach's library.

I like both the speed and the access time.

I might get two and raid them for up to 129.7 MB/s average transfer rate.

Since I ususally create a small 15-30 GB OS partion at the beginning of the drive my average for that partion will be even higher!

Throw in some 1GB of dual channel memory that will do 500mhz at 2.5-3-3 and my system will, er rock.

dhlucke

Polypheme
It is faster, it is noisier, and it vibrates a lot more. I'll take any speed that I can afford and the raptor is as good is it gets I suppose. I still want it faster but I can't have everything now can I?

If I was you I'd get the raptor and then hunt for a sweet deal on a regular 7200rpm/8MB drive if you really need/want the space (which it doesn't sound like you do)

bensbargains.net or techbargains.com are a good place to look.

<pre><font color=red>A64 3200+ Winchester
DFI Lan Party NF4 Ultra-D
1GB Corsair 4400C25PT
WD740GD, WD2000JB, WD1200JB
ATI X800XL
Dell 2405FPW</pre><p>

Thanks for the great links!

Do 3 posts = 3 HDDs?

:wink: he was just trying to emphasize the statement that he was getting the Raptor...