I'm in the final stages of researching a new build before buying parts. I'll be using the system for some gaming, music, possibly video in the future, internet and basic home usage. Basic system will look something like this:
A64 3200+ with AMD stock HSF
DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra D
1GB RAM (2X512)
FSP Blue Storm 500W
Antec P160
NEC 16X DVDRW
Seagate Barracuda 7200.8 or 7200.7 HDD
ATI X800XL

I'm really torn on the type of memory to get. :eek: I do plan on OCing the 3200+, but probably not more than 2.5Ghz unless I can do it with reasonable temps. I want a STABLE OC because I'll be running F@H on it 24/7 and I want trouble-free gaming. I also want the best price/perf for my money. Which of the following will serve me the best and why?
1. <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-546&depa=1" target="_new">Crucial Ballistix BL6464Z402</A> 512MB for $105.50 = <b>$211 for 1GB.</b>

2. <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-220-006&depa=1" target="_new">Patriot PDC1G3200LLK</A> for <b>$127.91</b>

3. <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-220-033&depa=0" target="_new">Patriot PDC1G3200+XBLK</A> for <b>$225.51</b>

The first question that comes to my mind is whether it is worth that $90 jump in price from the LLK to the XBLK or Ballistix. What do I really get for the $90-100? Secondly, If I decide to take that jump is the Ballistix or XBLK better? Why?

All advice and comments are appreciated! :smile:

Ballistix will give you that, but not from NewEgg.
I searched Pricewatch and Newegg actually had the best price...do you have any other suggestions?
while Infineon can only reach ~212Mhz regardless of timing or voltage.
Then I definitely don't want the Infineon chips. The Micron G chips in the Ballistix seem to be really good and I've had great success with crucial memory in the past. If I could get a good deal on those, then I'd definitely be favoring that option. I didn't see any dual packs available for the Ballistix - are there any dual-channel pitfalls?

The latest review I read about Ballistix PC4000 reported they went up to only 257Mhz 2.5-4-4 while my PC3200 Ballistix went to 252Mhz. But with your DFI mobo you can push it higher since 3.2V is avaliable.

Dual-pack or non dual-pack doesn't matter.
Thanks for the info. Was you best performance at the 252Mhz? How stable was it at that speed?

How realistic is it to get 2.5Ghz or 2.6Ghz stable with this setup?

How high will stock cooling take me?

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Crucial is usually at the top of my list, im just nopt sure about patriot at this point. You should also take a look at OCZ. Go check out their website and look at some of the reviews on their really fast RAM. The #1 thing is to make sure that your MOBO is compatible with the RAM you choose. Look at the QVL list at the manufactures website.

<b>Ned Flanders said that im a BAD ASS</b> :lol:

20% OC on stock cooling...not bad at all! I guess heat becomes the limiting factor at this point and stability would become an issue. I know 90nm process chips run a lot cooler. At what temps do you run into stability issues or do I have this wrong?

G

Hmm, thanks for the heads up, will keep that in mind.

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>
<i> <font color=red> One new Firefox fan </font color=red> </i>
<pre> Always remember to keep testicles away from live wiring </pre><p>

G

Nah, still waiting for parts. should all be in by weds or so. Just have to keep fresh towels on the graphics card, case and psu to keep em jizz free until the ram, hdd and cpu/mobo get here :evil:

<font color=green> Woohoo!! I am officially an <b> Addict </b>!! </font color=green>

You keep a Tiger direct magazine in your bathroom for "special occasions" don't you...

DFI's site is little Sh1tty - couldn't find the QVL list. Some of their pages weren't working, so they may have some website issues. Not a good thing for a company that doesn't have support here in the USofA....I've heard they have great support, but my troubles on their site aren't giving me a warm and fuzzy! I'll try again today...

From the prices I've seen on the high-end OCZ memory, I'll stick with the Ballistix for around $200 for 1GB...

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
We are still not on the same page yet. I understand what your saying about the chip being the important factor, but what I dont understand is why suggesting that Crucial Ballistix was not the proper thing to do.

From what I've read both the Ballistix with the Micron G chips and all of the name brand TCCD RAM sticks OC the A64 really well. I like this type of discussion with both sides of a coin being shown.. :smile:

G

Monarch computers :smile: Well I went ahead and ordered the ocz pc4000 1gb dual channel gold vx RAM so we'll see how it works.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I think that you may have taken what I said out of text. If you thought that I meant that Crucial is superior to Patriot then no thats not what I meant at all. I have never used Patriot thats why I said that im just not sure about Patriot at this point. In other words out of the 2 I only have experience with Crucial.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
It will probably be fast as hell. Everything that I see about OCZ is positve. Ive been foaming at the mouth for some of their DDR2. Its to damn expensive right now.

True, OCZ has some great RAM but they price it too high - i'll take the slightly lesser RAM and save a LOT of money. With the OC you've got going, you need it! :wink:

G

Well boys, the RAM arrived today and DAMN they look fine. Nice and solid, they have some heft to them. I should (hopefully) have all parts by Friday, and I can't wait :smile:

I'll accept that and do some more research. What do you consider decent? What's the performance difference between decent and high end - 5%, 10%, 20%? If I end up with just decent RAM for a good price, then that will have to be enough. :smile: Do you know of any links with reviews of Patriot RAM?

It's been killing me...what is the 337357?

G

Nah they're gold. And did I mention they're gorgeous looking also? :smile:

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Try using baby powder. It will give you a new perspective on life :lol:

Intel 550(3.4)@4.2
ASUS P5AD2-E-Prem
Ballistix PC5300@DDR2 780
ATI Radeon X800XL
TT 680W PSU

*caveman voice* MMMM! Powder GOOD!

G

:evil: