Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

memory & minor-overclocking

Tags:
  • Memory
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Memory
March 18, 2005 4:44:15 PM

So I'm working on building an Athlon 64 system. I am going to be different here and not want to severely overclock my system. I will probably do some minor overclocking, but that is not my main goal... Should I not bother with anything faster than PC3200? Should I still try to go for the lowest latency? I figure the extra money spent on superfast RAM could instead be better spent on RAID or faster processors. Or am I underestimating the effect the RAM speeds will have?

More about : memory minor overclocking

March 18, 2005 8:10:36 PM

Overclocking is <b>best</b> for gaming.

For other uses, it's not <b>so important</b> to overclock, unless you are very picky about performance.

By overclocking and lowering the latency, the compatibility of your memory module becomes relatively narrow. In general, you will have more crashes and data errors.

If you want stability/reliability go for the boring solution: PC-3200 CL3 major original brand (Samsung, Infinoen, Micron).

<b>edited</b> (should be careful on my wording) :p 
March 19, 2005 12:15:29 AM

Don't you think it would be better to get more than PC3200 for overclocking.. it doesn't have to be the low latency stuff?

The loving are the daring!
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b K Overclocking
a b } Memory
March 19, 2005 6:25:13 AM

Crucial (Micron's store) sells CAS 2.5 as well, it's just as stable as their CAS 3. And then there's their Ballistix line, their PC3200 has SPD values of 2-2-2-5, but is meant to be run at 2.7v. Still, I've never seen it crash at those timings using 2.5v, and 2.6v is standard for DDR400.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
March 22, 2005 7:48:34 PM

For gaming sure !

March 22, 2005 9:41:02 PM

Go with faster memory then you think you need.

Crucial Performance Lab

www.crucial.com
The Memory Experts(SM) at Crucial Technology is now on board to give you straight answers to your memory-related questions.
cpl@micron.com