Making phone call through computer

I would like to know if it is possible to connect a phone line to my computer
to make and receive my phone calls? If so is there a program that comes with
Windows XP to allow me to manage this?
3 answers Last reply
More about making phone call computer

    Placing a phone call through a computer results in a poor
    quality conversation. You would be much better off using
    a conventional telephone.

    If you insist, then visit:

    FREE PC To PC and PC To Phone Calls:
    http://www.talktohome.com/main/Ntalks.Htm

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "sweetybird" wrote:

    | I would like to know if it is possible to connect a phone line to my computer
    | to make and receive my phone calls? If so is there a program that comes with
    | Windows XP to allow me to manage this?

    Search Google for "internet phone calls" please. Then look at Skype.

    --
    Regards,

    Richard Urban
    Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

    Quote from: George Ankner

    "sweetybird" <sweetybird@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I would like to know if it is possible to connect a phone line to my
    >computer
    > to make and receive my phone calls? If so is there a program that comes
    > with
    > Windows XP to allow me to manage this?

    Vaguely remember doing this in Win98. Modem requires an additional driver
    in the sound, video, and game controllers area of device manager specific to
    the modem.

    The microphone was too "scratchy" for entirely legible voice communications.
    So, gave up on it.

    Bug the people who bug you, the telephone solicitors. They use computers
    nowadays for comms to the potential customers. For those who are wondering
    about phone calls where no one is on the other end, its the same people.
    They use a computer to dial 100's of numbers at the same time. They may not
    have enough personnel to man all the phone calls made. Thus, no one on the
    other end. Typically, call id will indicate name "unknown", but will have a
    bona fide phone number. In cases where the solicitor is not using mass
    phone number calling, the name of the company will be displayed on caller
    id. If you wish not be called by a solicitor, call the phone company and
    ask to be placed on the no-call list. You will be directed to a phone
    number that can do this for you. FTC investigates and prosecutes those who
    continue to call you after 31 days of being on the list. You have to let
    them know at the same phone number they provide you.

    "sweetybird" <sweetybird@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I would like to know if it is possible to connect a phone line to my
    computer
    > to make and receive my phone calls? If so is there a program that comes
    with
    > Windows XP to allow me to manage this?

Phones Computers Microsoft Windows XP